GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Size Winter Tires

TheMantelope

The last two cars I've owned have been rear wheel drive, and I've always grabbed a set of winter rims and tires to put on so I don't die in the winter time running on summer performance tires. I'm honestly thinking about ordering 19 inch winter tires for the Golf R and mounting them to the stock rims, and then ordering a set of 18 inch summer rims/tires for next spring.

Would running 19 inch snow tires be crazy?(I realize the tires will be pricey and the selection small) The last two cars I had(2005 infiniti g35 coupe and 2009 pontiac g8 gt) ran 18 inch snow tires, and I never had any trouble. Both had dunlop winter sport 3Ds in stock 18 inch size(245/45/R18). I'm thinking I could get by on 19 inch winters with the added awd of the Golf R. They would be performance winter tires, and not dedicated winters or studded tires, as this area is not covered in snow for extended periods of time.

I'm in southwest ohio, so I get cold weather, and some snow--but there are a lot of hills here too. I also work in an industry where I have to go to work, I can't just call off due to snow. My Golf R is my daily driver.

Any thoughts? Has anyone used 19 inch winters before? I would typically go minus size over what I had stock-wise for winter, but I've never had an awd car before so it may not be an issue running 19s. I was considering moving to 18 inch summers anyway and replacing the cadiz rims, but it would save me the hassle of selling the stock rims or having to buy a separate set of 18 inch rims for the winter if I just put some 19 inch winter tires on the stock rim.

jtbazz1

Ready to race!
The last two cars I've owned have been rear wheel drive, and I've always grabbed a set of winter rims and tires to put on so I don't die in the winter time running on summer performance tires. I'm honestly thinking about ordering 19 inch winter tires for the Golf R and mounting them to the stock rims, and then ordering a set of 18 inch summer rims/tires for next spring.

Would running 19 inch snow tires be crazy?(I realize the tires will be pricey and the selection small) The last two cars I had(2005 infiniti g35 coupe and 2009 pontiac g8 gt) ran 18 inch snow tires, and I never had any trouble. Both had dunlop winter sport 3Ds in stock 18 inch size(245/45/R18). I'm thinking I could get by on 19 inch winters with the added awd of the Golf R. They would be performance winter tires, and not dedicated winters or studded tires, as this area is not covered in snow for extended periods of time.

I'm in southwest ohio, so I get cold weather, and some snow--but there are a lot of hills here too. I also work in an industry where I have to go to work, I can't just call off due to snow. My Golf R is my daily driver.

Any thoughts? Has anyone used 19 inch winters before? I would typically go minus size over what I had stock-wise for winter, but I've never had an awd car before so it may not be an issue running 19s. I was considering moving to 18 inch summers anyway and replacing the cadiz rims, but it would save me the hassle of selling the stock rims or having to buy a separate set of 18 inch rims for the winter if I just put some 19 inch winter tires on the stock rim.

I would love someone to answer this too as I am thinking of putting a winters on the stock wheels too.

Dario1

Ready to race!
in europe

listed tyres are

205/50/17 - only for use with winter
225/40/18 - summer/winter
235/35/19- summer/winter

I personaly use the 18s for winter and track days

The Ringer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I am hesitant to respond here, since jtbazz knows I could be bias, but I have a lot of experience with snow/snow tires here in Northern MN. So...

The size of the wheel and tire really doesn't matter much for traction, it is the WIDTH that is important. The wider the tire, the more the tire will want to float on top of the snow, and not cut through it. So, a 205 tire, for example, would be better than a 235. That said, I have been running the exact same set of snow tires (not same brand, the SAME tires) since 2008. They are 225/45R17s. I ran them on a 2007 GTI, a 2007 BMW 335xi, and a 2012 GTI. I never had a problem, even in the legitimate blizzards we get here and the massive hills and snow drifts I have to deal with. For my R, I have purchased 235/40R18s that I just briefly got to test out on some icy conditions, but no big snow yet. I guarantee, however, that I will have no problem with the AWD and those slightly wider tires.

So, what you really need to know is what you are buying your snow tires for. I really doubt that either of you will have to contend with more snow than me--unless you live in the UP of Michigan or Alaska or Canada or something. I guarantee that if you know how to drive, the 19" snow tires, even in 235 width, will be fine.

So, what this really comes down to is price and style. If you want to keep the 19 inch look for the winter, you will pay more for the tires. But, they should last you a long time, especially if your winters are short. The snow tires I described above that lasted me for 7 winters here in MN (they go on in mid-November, and come off in mid-April) were cheap-o General brand tires, and I loved them. In fact, I put a set on my wife's 2013 Toyota Highlander. So, if your season is shorter where you live, there is no reason your winter tires shouldn't last at least that long.

A final consideration: how much salt/sand do they put on roads by you? If they really pound out the salt and sand like they do here, it could be hard on your wheels if you don't wash them regularly. For me, even in the winter I try and spray my car down at least once every couple weeks to keep the salt at bay.

That's my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheMantelope

The set I used on my last car were 245/45/18(which was a minus size from the stock 19s, that were 245/40/19s), so I'm not really that worried about the width. And they lasted me the 6 years I owned the car through every winter here. The majority of the winter there is not snow on the ground, which is why I'd go with a performance winter tire, and not a dedicated snow tire. The cold temperature is more of an issue than snow. I usually don't need to put them on until November, and they're off by the end of march. If I was in a more snow prone area I would be more concerned about finding a narrow tire, but that hasn't been an issue in the decade I've been running snow tires in the winter.

The problem with 19s is that they are expensive no matter what type of tire you are looking for. The dunlop winter sports I looked up in stock 19 size are $295/tire. They are one of the few options available in a winter performance tire in that size. But they'd get me through the snow and extend the life of my summer tires so it's not really an issue.

I've just never thought about getting 19 inch snows before, and I wanted to see if anyone thought I'd be crazy for doing it. Swapping to 18 inch summers has its advantages price wise for sure, though. 18 inch michelin pilot super sports are $80 less per tire compared to their 19 inch counterparts. Over the lifetime of owning a car and going through several tire changes that adds up.

The Ringer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Exactly--it comes down to money and priorities. Is style--19 inches of style--worth the money to you? I can't answer that question for you, or anyone. I have friends, for example, that think a $40,000 small hatchback that looks a lot like a regular Golf is silly, but I think it's worth it (as do most people on this forum...).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

u2marcelo

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not just about money. If your roads are in good shape, 18" or 19" may be ok. Considering the disgusting state of the roads in my area, 17" is the way to go. I should know since I just hit a mega pothole on my 19" wheels; the BAM! was so nasty that I fear the wheel may be cracked or bent (it already happened to me once on my GTI, with subsequent wheel bearing damage). Despite all the care I may use to avoid potholes, I consider 17" winters a necessity to protect not just the wheels but the suspension components. The taller side walls make a big difference. I don't care about comfort per se though the smaller rims do ride more comfortable, with some loss of performance of course but not too bad if the winter tires are of good quality.

TheMantelope

It's not just about money. If your roads are in good shape, 18" or 19" may be ok. Considering the disgusting state of the roads in my area, 17" is the way to go. I should know since I just hit a mega pothole on my 19" wheels; the BAM! was so nasty that I fear the wheel may be cracked or bent (it already happened to me once on my GTI, with subsequent wheel bearing damage). Despite all the care I may use to avoid potholes, I consider 17" winters a necessity to protect not just the wheels but the suspension components. The taller side walls make a big difference. I don't care about comfort per se though the smaller rims do ride more comfortable, with some loss of performance of course but not too bad if the winter tires are of good quality.

I agree that 17" would be the ideal size for winter. If I had a buyer lined up for the stock 19" cadiz that's the route I would take next winter. I haven't really paid attention yet to the for sale section, so I'm not sure what the demand is like.

The reality is that the stock 19" tire is a very unforgiving size, and a little extra sidewall would be nice. That's exactly why I opted for the tire and wheel insurance when I bought the car. I would be narrowing my risk significantly by only running that size about 4 months out of the year and running 18s during spring, summer, and fall. If the base model R had been available at the same time I probably could have worked out a deal at the dealership to swap the 19s for the 18s. The roads aren't awful around here, and I don't get that much snow.

First world problems, I suppose.

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got my R in March, so I could punt the winter tire decision to next year, but had already done the research. Finding the R ride a bit hard, even with DCC, I am tempted to go for the stock VW 17" rims along with Nokian WRG3 tires, which are technically rated all weather but do very well in snow (check reviews). That way, I can run the winters longer (say, October to April) and spare the 19" wheels from the abuse of Boston-area roads, at least until the major winter craters get filled in . . .

Creeker

Does anyone happen to know if the Mk VI Detroit wheels will fit a Golf R? I have a set that I am considering either as winter rims or selling.

Stevie1

Ready to race!
I agree that 17" would be the ideal size for winter. If I had a buyer lined up for the stock 19" cadiz that's the route I would take next winter. I haven't really paid attention yet to the for sale section, so I'm not sure what the demand is like.

The reality is that the stock 19" tire is a very unforgiving size, and a little extra sidewall would be nice. That's exactly why I opted for the tire and wheel insurance when I bought the car. I would be narrowing my risk significantly by only running that size about 4 months out of the year and running 18s during spring, summer, and fall. If the base model R had been available at the same time I probably could have worked out a deal at the dealership to swap the 19s for the 18s. The roads aren't awful around here, and I don't get that much snow.

First world problems, I suppose.

Not sure you can fit 17" to an R -- much larger brake disks and calipers. I would check out the German Forums as the get plenty of snow and fit winter tyres every year (not sure, they may be required by law).

smartino

Not sure you can fit 17" to an R -- much larger brake disks and calipers. I would check out the German Forums as the get plenty of snow and fit winter tyres every year (not sure, they may be required by law).
17" will fit. I have 225/50 R17 Michelin Pilot A/S on my R. They fit perfectly with absolutely no rubbing. The wheels are 17x7.5 with +45 offset.