GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil do you run?

Turbo V

Ready to race!
Hi just wondering what oil people run in their mk7 R's. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I am at a loss to decide :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo V

Ready to race!
Motul Specific 5w40. Also, LiquiMoly Leichtlauf is apparently amazing on these cars.

Cool. I emailed Motul and posted on another thread that they recommend the 8100 x-cess for our cars. I am looking into the penzoil platinum euro but leaning towards Motul x-cess due to the higher TBN and flashpoint.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Cool. I emailed Motul and posted on another thread that they recommend the 8100 x-cess for our cars. I am looking into the penzoil platinum euro but leaning towards Motul x-cess due to the higher TBN and flashpoint.

Why not go with Motul 8100 5W-30 x-clean+? It's recommended as a long life. I don't believe that there are long life oils but oils which have more stability under stress. I used them since my first service at 8000km and since now (35700km) no problems at all. It fulfills the VW's 504 specs too (the 507 is for the diesels). I'm completely stock.

Turbo V

Ready to race!
Why not go with Motul 8100 5W-30 x-clean+? It's recommended as a long life. I don't believe that there are long life oils but oils which have more stability under stress. I used them since my first service at 8000km and since now (35700km) no problems at all. It fulfills the VW's 504 specs too (the 507 is for the diesels). I'm completely stock.

Good point. I was just posting what Motul recommends for the golf R straight from the horses mouth. I plan on doing 5000-7500 oil changes. I don't know if x-clean can hold up under the stress of revving the engine under a tune. I think the x-cess is ester based and designed to handle the performance engine. I will research more however though.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Good point. I was just posting what Motul recommends for the golf R straight from the horses mouth. I plan on doing 5000-7500 oil changes. I don't know if x-clean can hold up under the stress of revving the engine under a tune. I think the x-cess is ester based and designed to handle the performance engine. I will research more however though.

All the 8100 series of Motul uses the ester based formula. The 300V series use the double ester formula but it is not recommended by Motul itself for road use. I don't have an answer if that's a good oil if your R is tuned. You should ask your reputable tuner for that. As stock, at least in Europe, Motul recommends the x-clean+ for the long life service and also the same (as second recommendation though) for the annual/fixed interval service. I went with the "long-life" oil with the fixed intervals of 10000km. So far I'm satisfied with this combo. Also, a big plus for me is the faint smell of the hot oil (not burnt of course!) after journeys above 200 "spirited-driving" kilometers. It's only me, I know that, but I like to smell that the oil is doing its job!

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Next oil change will be Schaeffer oil 9003D Supreme 9000™ 5W-30. Local dealer/tuner recommends this stuff highly. Going to see what it is all about.

richardglund

Hi just wondering what oil people run in their mk7 R's. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I am at a loss to decide :).

I always use 0W40 in my VW's--now have a 2015 Golf TSI and the dealer uses 5W40 (Rotella?) I will go back to M1 0W40 after the free changes are done!

In the interest of full disclosure: My son is a Chemical Engineer with ExxonMobil at the site in Texas where Mobil 1 is manufactured. But, no bias here. I've used Mobil 1 products including oil filters for many years on most all my vehicles. Always a winner, though I am no techie!

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Mobil 1 here also in both the MK6 and 7, 0W40.
I believe that the dealer uses Castrol 5W40, IMO the 0W is thinner at cold start up
so oil reaches the cams and turbo quicker. And acts like 40 when hot is good.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Looking at getting a drum of Gulf Formula GVX 5W - 30 for 1.0 TSI 115PS petrol. 504.00 and 507.00 spec and seems to be good value at £90/20 litres.