GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Can you specify all the part numbers and details of this job (including cost)? Has it made the ride quieter and increased mpgs?

I started this thread as a HOW TO Retro fit guide...

CLDUCK has just fitted the front aero tray (not skid), the xhaust tunnel from tray, side cover by fuel tank & rear axle cover from the Passat

He has also made up his own cover to fit between the exhaust front cover & the fuel tank. Also as his car is the estate the rear axle cover from the Passat will not fit your GTI hatch.

Please go to the first page of this thread where ALL my HOW TO guides all located..........

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Had the car up on a stand today, so I finally got a shot of nearly the entire underside of my wagon, showing the four items that I had installed at purchase.

My car is a GT with DCC, so ride height is the same as a GTi or R. One of the residential roads near our home has several very high "sleeping policemen" to control speed. They fit neatly between the wheels, but if I take them that way they scrape (as can be seen on the skid plate), so I slow down and roll over them with the left or right wheels instead.

This shot also shows why CLDuck fabricated his own additional shield to cover the silencer, as it is the largest remaining area for aero improvement.

Our car has the 1.4l TSI, 150hp, with a 6-speed manual. We picked it up in August 2016, and have put 15542km on it since then. I've lost receipts for three tanks of fuel, but with 21.7km on the clock I filled it with 36.44 liters of Shell 98+ (V-Power here in Sweden, Nitro elsewhere) and that is the only type of fuel it has had since new. Fuel efficiency has ranged from a low of 8.3 l/100km (which works out to 28.23 mpg US, or 33.9 mpg UK) (mid-winter, city driving, lots of tire slip, with very frequent use of the gasoline-fueled engine/cabin heater), to a high of 5.8 l/100km (40.1 mpg US, or 48.15 mpg UK). The average so far is 6.6 l/100km (35.5 mpg US, 42.6 mpg UK), which I have reason to believe is better than it would have been without the aero aids.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Had the car up on a stand today, so I finally got a shot of nearly the entire underside of my wagon, showing the four items that I had installed at purchase.

This shot also shows why CLDuck fabricated his own additional shield to cover the silencer, as it is the largest remaining area for aero improvement.

Our car has the 1.4l TSI, 150hp, with a 6-speed manual. We picked it up in August 2016, and have put 15542km on it since then. I've lost receipts for three tanks of fuel, but with 21.7km on the clock I filled it with 36.44 liters of Shell 98+ (V-Power here in Sweden, Nitro elsewhere) and that is the only type of fuel it has had since new. Fuel efficiency has ranged from a low of 8.3 l/100km (which works out to 28.23 mpg US, or 33.9 mpg UK) (mid-winter, city driving, lots of tire slip, with very frequent use of the gasoline-fueled engine/cabin heater), to a high of 5.8 l/100km (40.1 mpg US, or 48.15 mpg UK). The average so far is 6.6 l/100km (35.5 mpg US, 42.6 mpg UK), which I have reason to believe is better than it would have been without the aero aids.

Thanks for the nice photo!..I wish my dealer & other garages would let me do this, but Health & safety/insurance won't let them allow customers into the garage area...:mad:....will have to work in this..

Anyway I only use Shell nitro, & get 38mpg on twisty back roads & having fun....42-44mpg average normal driving, 52mpg long motorway cruising...:cool:

You need to fit the Audi jack pads, rear lower wishbone stone guards & the rear window fins...for the full "golfdave" package...:D

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
You didn't really sell me on the benefit of the stone guards, but the jack pads and brake cooling fins might show up here at some point.

The rear window fins were included with the R-Line package!

Thanks for the nice photo!..I wish my dealer & other garages would let me do this, but Health & safety/insurance won't let them allow customers into the garage area...:mad:....will have to work in this..

Anyway I only use Shell nitro, & get 38mpg on twisty back roads & having fun....42-44mpg average normal driving, 52mpg long motorway cruising...:cool:

You need to fit the Audi jack pads, rear lower wishbone stone guards & the rear window fins...for the full "golfdave" package...:D

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Ive never seen a mid box muffler in that place before, mine is the straight through pipe being a diesel.
So far as heat soak, my 300mile journey to London the other day gave me a warm chassis under the rear seats which may be harmful over the longer life of the car - what are your thoughts?
Ill get a laser thermometer out next time im to do such a drive
Connor

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ive never seen a mid box muffler in that place before, mine is the straight through pipe being a diesel.
So far as heat soak, my 300mile journey to London the other day gave me a warm chassis under the rear seats which may be harmful over the longer life of the car - what are your thoughts?
Ill get a laser thermometer out next time im to do such a drive
Connor

Mid box mufflers may or may not be there depending on petrol diesel & power output, my petrol has one...

As for temps, I think that's a bit hot, which is why I chose not to make my own cover & just stick to the VW stuff!

You could also have been doing a DPF regen which makes it hotter....have you had the emission fix? as this causes the engine to enter DPF regen mode more.

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
The panel will be coming off for the 1st service which is booked in next week. Following that I will see how it goes as dont often drive so far thus having exhaust temps soaking into the cabin.
The car was built in November last year so im not sure that it is due any recalls..

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
Good afternoon
Just an update running the under trays.
It recently went in for its 10k mile service and I removed the "home made" panel and I could feel the difference on the motorway instantly.
The section of exhaust it encases was purple due to the heat but nothing in the whole exhaust looked unhappy, distorted or melted.

I will look into getting the undertray you have listed @Golfdave to add extra airflow within the drivetrain.
Connor

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Good afternoon
Just an update running the under trays.
It recently went in for its 10k mile service and I removed the "home made" panel and I could feel the difference on the motorway instantly.
The section of exhaust it encases was purple due to the heat but nothing in the whole exhaust looked unhappy, distorted or melted.

I will look into getting the undertray you have listed @Golfdave to add extra airflow within the drivetrain.
Connor

Just hope that no damage has been done to any wiring etc. on the inside of the cabin near the centre console are..:eek:

I am always dubious about totally encasing exhausts unless you wrap them in a heat wrap fabric first...

mrrogers1

Thanks Dave, I wasnt the one to say if they fit or not so thanks for clearing that up :)
Hope you're well

CLDUCK (or anyone that might be able to help), where did you location this part for your TDI?

Rear exhaust tunnel cover

For twist beam rear suspension:-
Item No.18
:- 5G0 825 206 J, Underbody trim for twist beam

I can see from you pictures that it's fitted but I can't find that part anywhere. I did locate the other part for the multi-link but seeing as if I do have a NA GSW TDI, I have to deal with the twist beam situation, just like, I think, you do.

Thanks for the good pics and any info you can give me on that part.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
CLDUCK (or anyone that might be able to help), where did you location this part for your TDI?

Rear exhaust tunnel cover

For twist beam rear suspension:-
Item No.18
:- 5G0 825 206 J, Underbody trim for twist beam

I can see from you pictures that it's fitted but I can't find that part anywhere. I did locate the other part for the multi-link but seeing as if I do have a NA GSW TDI, I have to deal with the twist beam situation, just like, I think, you do.

Thanks for the good pics and any info you can give me on that part.

It might end in D or E...but the info on the item is from the VW parts system (ETKA).
This is a UK user "Colinstone" who tested out the one for the multilink suspension, which did not fit & then managed to exchange it for the correct 206J version which is for the twist beam suspension..

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=196065&postcount=62