GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello, Thank you for this very Nice post!
I have a golf 2.0tdi from 2015, will the part number you have listed fit my car?
My car is a left hand drive by the way
I would like to do this upgrade very soon.

Which part number? as there are many different parts listed!

Most of the parts fit MK7 Golf's only have to be careful if you have 4WD for the rear axle trays, & the rear exhaust tunnel tray

Erik_DK

Oh, sorry, i meant the numbers om general.
I'll ask the dealer when i'm ordering the parts, that must be the best way to do it.

Thanks again.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Oh, sorry, i meant the numbers om general.
I'll ask the dealer when i'm ordering the parts, that must be the best way to do it.

Thanks again.

All parts listed will fit all MK7 Golfs, left or right hand drive, estate or hatch, diesel or petrol, etc.

Only a couple of the parts will not fit twist beam suspension & 4WD and these items are specified for multi-link & 2WD...............

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Dave. Lots of good info.

I'm stateside with a '16 1.8TSI Wagon/Wagen/Estate/Variant and I've been adding the underbody pieces listed. I also ordered a pair of the rear control arm stone guards from a FWD TT. The stone guards will need some modification to fit a Golf VII. I haven't had enough time to figure out how much to chop off of the stone guards to make them fit. I think the single most annoying change required is that the VII has a large rivet through the control arm (longitudinal link) used to keep a plastic handbrake guide cable located. The US spec cars have a proper e-brake/handbrake probably due to cost cutting measures but I'm quite happy to have a true handbrake.

So far I've added the following and I think I've seen my oil temps rise a little bit 8-10 degrees farenheit but I also think my fuel consumption has dropped a little bit:

5Q0-825-236-Q
5Q0-825-206-K
5Q0-825-230-J

Tonight I'm going to add:

3C0-501-713-A

In the future I'd like to add these but they require a good deal of cutting to provide clearance and eliminate conflicts due to suspension articulation.

1K0-511-539-E
1K0-511-540-C

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks Dave. Lots of good info.

I'm stateside with a '16 1.8TSI Wagon/Wagen/Estate/Variant and I've been adding the underbody pieces listed. I also ordered a pair of the rear control arm stone guards from a FWD TT. The stone guards will need some modification to fit a Golf VII. I haven't had enough time to figure out how much to chop off of the stone guards to make them fit. I think the single most annoying change required is that the VII has a large rivet through the control arm (longitudinal link) used to keep a plastic handbrake guide cable located. The US spec cars have a proper e-brake/handbrake probably due to cost cutting measures but I'm quite happy to have a true handbrake.

So far I've added the following and I think I've seen my oil temps rise a little bit 8-10 degrees farenheit but I also think my fuel consumption has dropped a little bit:

5Q0-825-236-Q
5Q0-825-206-K
5Q0-825-230-J

Tonight I'm going to add:

3C0-501-713-A

In the future I'd like to add these but they require a good deal of cutting to provide clearance and eliminate conflicts due to suspension articulation.

1K0-511-539-E
1K0-511-540-C

I too looked at those last items 1K0....but decided against them due to the electric cables for our epb.......

Also they did have problems with them as the fixing was poor & they would flap about, personally I would buy one or get some from a scrap car to try first as having seen pictures they are very "strange" & really not designed properly.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I do remember the TT had issues with the stone guards. That TSB and/or supercedure is how I initially came to know of the stone guards. The Golf VII has a multitude of holes in the longitudinal arm, quite a few more than the V or VI so it should be possible to securely attach the guards to the longitudinal link. Stateside these are not expensive at all, they are the sort of thing that might cost me less new than their shipping cost would be used.

Since VW/Audi does not import the ROW Golf VII rear stone guards here in the States I'm going to waste a few dollars and hack up some 1K stone guards. I like to tinker and with nothing but time and a few dollars at stake I think I'll take a stab at it.

The left side the guard will need to be trimmed on the inboard edge to clear the underbody panel I added. I think both sides will need a little bit of trimming on the upper aft position retaining hook as the longitudinal link is stamped slightly differently on the VII, the folded top edge is longer than on previous generations. Finally the brake cable bracket will require the guard be trimmed or some sort of alternative hardware solution will be needed. I'm thinking that I might bolt the cable guide to the link but use an extra long bolt and a second nut on the same bolt to secure the guard to the link and existing cable guide bracket. Obviously a pair of large diameter washers are needed to distribute the force as PP-T30 is fairly soft.

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions to get this "rough road package" here in the USA? Any international suppliers anyone can suggest? No one in the USA has this (it seems)

Thanks

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Just a quick update, VW have just launched a new Bluemotion version of the Golf hatch, Estate & SV with the new 1.0lt TSI engine. They have had to fit & I quote "By lowering the chassis by 15 mm, adapting the radiator grille, optimising the cooling airflow and fitting special underfloor panels and a rear spoiler, the Golf TSI BlueMotion’s Cd value has been reduced to 0.28 (from 0.29 in the standard Golf). ".

So when this appears at my local dealers later on in the year I will be looking very closely at the panels fitted to the underside & hopefully they have made panels to cover the rear axle area!! Etka (VW parts programme) will not show anything for a while yet!

I've got a Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI and had a look underneath. Only tray is under the engine, all the rest is open. Only other aero devices are "combs" just ahead of the rear axle.
Wonder if I am missing these panels? Guess a trip to the dealer parts department to check.

Where was that quoted text?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've got a Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI and had a look underneath. Only tray is under the engine, all the rest is open. Only other aero devices are "combs" just ahead of the rear axle.
Wonder if I am missing these panels? Guess a trip to the dealer parts department to check.

Where was that quoted text?

On VW UK site July 2015 under new items, however the site is not working properly so can't get the full info. However here:-

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/91688/vw-golf-bluemotion-10-tsi-review

They state 10% improvement in aero & yes your car "as is" is correct. Just the statement of underbody panels is misleading, all they do is fit the diesel engine undertray cover which is full size..............

You should be able to do the front exhaust tunnel cover & the one by the fuel tank. The rear axle on your car is the twist beam so the big Passat axle cover is a no go. However you can do the stone guards for the twist beam axle which might smooth the air flow. Although I did not do this I have included & parts listed these also in my posts.........:cool:

I recon a further 10% improvement in book............;)

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
golfdave - thanks. I was surprised. I recall that the BMW 1 series ED is virtually flat underneath.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
golfdave - thanks. I was surprised. I recall that the BMW 1 series ED is virtually flat underneath.

No problems.....;)

I yes I am surprised at the amount of "basic" aero improvements that they forget about, they spent enough on the double door seal etc but the oldest known mod in the book a flat underside nah forget it!................. & most of the parts which will work they already make!!...............idiots