GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sorry to dig this up, but just had to take a minute and thank you for such a thorough review!!

How have the shields affected temps in the summer heat?

Thanks again,
Ben.

No problems!

As for summer engine temps, so far not a problemsas my engine is the 140ps 1.4TSI petrol, so the existing cooling is ok , having the gearbox air duct in the main skid tray helps!. I have been watching the temps for oil on the MFD menu & only about 5C max increase in slow traffic compared to before but the cooling system is very good & way better than on previous Golfs!

PS I am still tracking down more "under-trays" to cover the rear area under the car, there are a few new items in VAG parts now, just need to wait for them to fully show up on ETKA & I will be adding to this thread!!!....:cool:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just a quick update, VW have just launched a new Bluemotion version of the Golf hatch, Estate & SV with the new 1.0lt TSI engine. They have had to fit & I quote "By lowering the chassis by 15 mm, adapting the radiator grille, optimising the cooling airflow and fitting special underfloor panels and a rear spoiler, the Golf TSI BlueMotion’s Cd value has been reduced to 0.28 (from 0.29 in the standard Golf). ".

So when this appears at my local dealers later on in the year I will be looking very closely at the panels fitted to the underside & hopefully they have made panels to cover the rear axle area!! Etka (VW parts programme) will not show anything for a while yet!

Sportsvan

Passed Driver's Ed
I have just registered (this is my first post :) ) and I wanted to thank you for the time and effort that you have taken to inform us about how to protect our cars!

I live in Spain and VW does not offer here the possibility of ordering with the car this engine skid, and after finding out that in Germany and other countries it was possible, I thought about purchasing the skid in the future. Reading your post will help me a lot if in the future I decide to do it :D

Thanks again! :)

Note: I was wondering if the skid plate that you have installed is the same that would need a Sportsvan (or SV, as you call it over there)? I guess that the answer would be "yes", but knowing VW, who knows? :rolleyes:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have just registered (this is my first post :) ) and I wanted to thank you for the time and effort that you have taken to inform us about how to protect our cars!

I live in Spain and VW does not offer here the possibility of ordering with the car this engine skid, and after finding out that in Germany and other countries it was possible, I thought about purchasing the skid in the future. Reading your post will help me a lot if in the future I decide to do it :D

Thanks again! :)

Note: I was wondering if the skid plate that you have installed is the same that would need a Sportsvan (or SV, as you call it over there)? I guess that the answer would be "yes", but knowing VW, who knows? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

The best way to do it is to remove your factory fit engine tray and look at the part number & if it matches any of the part numbers for item 8 here
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-va...-underbody-trim-noise-insulation-heat-shield/

then the full skid trays should fit

Sportsvan

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks again, and I take note, to have a look at the engine tray's part number, when I receive the car (I have just ordered it) if I decide to change it to adequately protect the engine :)

Thanks again! ;)

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Part IV

Rear axle aerodynamic trim

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/cc-cc-eu-2013-50500-support-frame/

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-var...ear-axle-beam/

I have looked everywhere on ETKA for this, as this area needs to be covered over as it produces the most lift at the rear axle, which is not good for handling!! Unfortunately I have drawn a complete blank! The item appears as one shape on the old MK5 & MK6 Golf & another shape on the Passat CC & the Jetta hybrid. These cars share the same PQ35 & 46 platforms.

Although the MK7 Golf rear sub frames look the same as these older ones, the main problem is that these trims fit up against the fuel tank, which is shaped slightly differently on the MK7 Golf in this critical area! The bigger one from the Passat CC (which also fits the Jetta) covers the whole axle area, with an upstand where the exhaust pipe sits between the lower wishbones so would not fit a hatch MK7 Golf. I have an estate & the exhaust is routed differently to the hatch, but I am reluctant to try to fit this item as VAG don’t show it transferring over onto any MQB platform car! Hopefully they will eventually do something to fit an MQB platform car, as they have not carried over these parts from the MK6 Golf or Jetta/Passat!

Could this be it?

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-variant-4motion-golf-eu-2013-golf-variant-50500-rear-axle-beam/

http://www.partsbase.org/parts/vw-3c0501713/

I'm in the process of ordering a 2016 GT 1.4 150 with R-Line exterior and interior. Have already gotten estimates for having the dealer install most of these prior to delivery. Your guide has made this negotiation MUCH more straightforward than it would have been otherwise! Thanks!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Could this be it?

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-variant-4motion-golf-eu-2013-golf-variant-50500-rear-axle-beam/

http://www.partsbase.org/parts/vw-3c0501713/

I'm in the process of ordering a 2016 GT 1.4 150 with R-Line exterior and interior. Have already gotten estimates for having the dealer install most of these prior to delivery. Your guide has made this negotiation MUCH more straightforward than it would have been otherwise! Thanks!

That listing although states Golf variant 2013 is infact the run-out MK6 2013 model (early 2013), not the later 2014 MK7 (introduced late 2013). The rear subframe is MK6 which is different to MK7

You have to be very careful looking at the part numbers on that site as they have nothing for 2014 or 2015 or for the MK7 variant ................the parts from the front end of the MK7 hatch fit the variant but for example they do not list even the MK7 variant body, or rear hatch etc as this is 2014 model & they do not have 2014 or 2015 yr

Anyway glad you found the guide helpful in getting the car from the dealers as it should be IMO!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
After doing some very careful research & studying photos of the MK6 Golf & previous Passat I decided to take a risk & bought some more aerodynamic under trays..............from the Passat!

Look at my post number 5 on page one of this thread............it fits perfect, will load up pictures later.............

Sportsvan

Passed Driver's Ed
Your Golf is going to be the world's most protected and aerodynamic one! We look forward to seeing the pics ;)

Note: I wish I had the knowledge and "cojones" (as Americans like to say lately :D) to do as many improvements to my car :)

VW should hire you to optimize their resources!!!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Your Golf is going to be the world's most protected and aerodynamic one! We look forward to seeing the pics ;)

Note: I wish I had the knowledge and "cojones" (as Americans like to say lately :D) to do as many improvements to my car :)

VW should hire you to optimize their resources!!!

Thanks! did you manage to fit the front skid tray yet? I just realised that I forgot to tell you that the first three digits of the part codes are for the car model.

5G9 = Golf MK7 estate
5G0 = Golf MK7 Hatch
3C0 = Passat

If the rest match's your existing engine under tray then the full skid tray should match.

Sportsvan

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you very much for the information, but I still have not received the 1.6 diesel Golf Sportsvan (SV). I already know that it's manufactured and in route to Spain, but I'm having second thoughts about finally purchasing it... After this "diesel scandal" I'm scared to death that VW couldn't afford to pay all the fines, lawsuits, etc from clients, agencies, States, counties... And can bankrupt...

I know that this post is about vehicle protection, but I'm worried that VW's already losing sales and I've read that, when accumulated, the commercial losses could easily outweigh the costs of any legal damages. To keep market share, VW would have to discount. A mix of lower prices and lower volumes augurs a period of falling profits, having to pay tons of money...

I don't know if this will happen just in the States or also in Europe... I guess that I still have a couple weeks to take a decision, until the dealer lets me know that the Golf is ready, and I hope that, in the meantime, VW communicqtes the way of "fixing" the affected engines. Let's hope that the European engines don't need a costly fix and therefore VW doesn't spend millions of €.. ;)

If I finally purchase the car and my wife allows me, I'd like to install the protector, as my car has the "sport suspension", which is lower, and would benefit from some metal to protect the engine :)

Thanks again for the very useful information!!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thank you very much for the information, but I still have not received the 1.6 diesel Golf Sportsvan (SV). I already know that it's manufactured and in route to Spain, but I'm having second thoughts about finally purchasing it... After this "diesel scandal" I'm scared to death that VW couldn't afford to pay all the fines, lawsuits, etc from clients, agencies, States, counties... And can bankrupt...

If I finally purchase the car and my wife allows me, I'd like to install the protector, as my car has the "sport suspension", which is lower, and would benefit from some metal to protect the engine :)

Thanks again for the very useful information!!!

VAG go bust, no way, if the worst happens they will sell SEAT as that is the only brand they loose money on.

Your car will be ok as Euro6 engine & not affected

Also the engine skid tray is not metal, it is GRP (glass reinforced plastic) which is very strong!

Sportsvan

Passed Driver's Ed
Thnank you very much for your encouragement, and I would also like to think that a giant like VW will not bust, as it would be really bad for Europe in general! (in a worst case scenario, I guess that Germany would help the company a little bit)

And yes, re-reading your post I've read that the tray is GRP, which is lighter and quieter than metal: a good thing!!! :)

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted ;)

Erik_DK

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7...

Hello, Thank you for this very Nice post!
I have a golf 2.0tdi from 2015, will the part number you have listed fit my car?
My car is a left hand drive by the way
I would like to do this upgrade very soon.