GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

gtiscott

Passed Driver's Ed
I really want my fuel tank recalled. The gauges are not accurate. I filled the gas tank up and the pointer does not reach full. I drive it for an hour, the gas tank shows one bar down. I have to call VW and complain. Anyone else has this problem?

I hate to break it to you but as soon as you start your car up again your fuel tank is no longer FULL. Full means 100% . Once I go about 15 miles it's down one tick and i'm fine with that because it's no longer full. My old toyota mr2 would stay on full for 90 miles, now that was not right.

There have been tons of complaints about this. How many gallons/liters/miles do people want their tank to lie to them that it's still full for?

Now to the topic of this post.

I have a friend who works as a vw/audi tech and he said they are unlikely to do a warranty on whatever threw a CEL if you are tuned. So misfire on cyl 2 because you cracked a piston tuned. Well you're not getting an engine. If something broke and there is no CEL they will probably warranty it. Probably has to do with those reports the original poster said have to be submitted with the warranty claims.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Second DSG to blow on APR tcu tune that I know of...and I'm sure they won't help this guy...

georgep

On vortex, one owner had his DSG kick the bucket on a DSG tune. He had the APR dealer remove the DSG tune. (flashed back to stock)

Took it to the dealership, VW corp flagged his car TD1, 3100 dollar repair (no warranty coverage on DSG).
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7695497-DSG-Broken-after-TCU-tune

Well, he had both the ECU and TCU tune:
In January I installed ECU/TCU stage 1 tunes from APR on my 2015 Golf R7 with 8,000miles on it.

Would just the TCU alone be flagged? (D mode shift points suck.)

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI

Ogogo

If I make changes using OBDeleven, such as "Kencha Lights" modification and enabling "Traffic Sign Recognition" will this also flag TD1 or similar with Volkswagen ? or is this restricted to Tuning?

Josh64

Ready to race!
Huh, someone had made a reply about the 1.8 camshaft lobe shearing recall, now it looks like they deleted it. I was wondering the same things as him.

VW has just issued a notice about the recall saying, "To help correct this defect, your authorized Volkswagen dealer will update the engine control module (ECM) software on your vehicle. This work will take about an hour to complete and will be performed for you free of charge."

Presumably this means they will be limiting the torque output of the engine. Since I would rather not lose any power, I'm wondering if I am I able to opt out of the repair? If I do opt out and the camshaft shits the bed, will I have to pay to repair it? I'm pretty disappointed if this is their solution to the problem.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Huh, someone had made a reply about the 1.8 camshaft lobe shearing recall, now it looks like they deleted it. I was wondering the same things as him.

VW has just issued a notice about the recall saying, "To help correct this defect, your authorized Volkswagen dealer will update the engine control module (ECM) software on your vehicle. This work will take about an hour to complete and will be performed for you free of charge."

Presumably this means they will be limiting the torque output of the engine. Since I would rather not lose any power, I'm wondering if I am I able to opt out of the repair? If I do opt out and the camshaft shits the bed, will I have to pay to repair it? I'm pretty disappointed if this is their solution to the problem.

There is no evidence to conclude that their fix would be to "limit the torque output of the engine". Get the recall done. Your power numbers aren't going to change.

Josh64

Ready to race!
There is no evidence to conclude that their fix would be to "limit the torque output of the engine". Get the recall done. Your power numbers aren't going to change.

There's also no evidence it won't be. What else would it be? What if I get it done and do notice a loss of power, what then?

Roca

REVOed
Car(s)
CC
If I make changes using OBDeleven, such as "Kencha Lights" modification and enabling "Traffic Sign Recognition" will this also flag TD1 or similar with Volkswagen ? or is this restricted to Tuning?

yeah anyone have any answers to making changes with the OBDEleven or VagCom?

I've done these before on other VWs and not had any issues, but still would be good to know about the warranty issues if any

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
There's also no evidence it won't be. What else would it be? What if I get it done and do notice a loss of power, what then?

Yes there is. If they make an update that limits your power after you've bought a car with X amount of advertised power then they have a lawsuit on their hands. That is false advertising. Again, just get the update.

jayk12

Ready to race!
I specifically asked my dealership about an APR tune and they basically said they will honor the warranty unless the tune was the cause of the issue with the vehicle.

I'm holding off a bit longer on the tune because I have already had a computer issue with my car and want to see how the next 10k miles go. After that, I'll probably go for it.