GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I measured the height of where the lid would rest on the ledges and I get 4.5". Is the middle higher than the edges for clearance? I know it's only .5" but every little bit helps.

My box is 4" and the deck just barely sits flush, and if anything is 1/8"-1/4" too tall. Others with similar boxes reported the same. I used a cardboard box to test fit before I cut any wood so you might try that before building.

xiqtem

I was wondering how that worked out for you?

I did the ghetto upgrade. The leads to the sub come from the amp wherever it is. The stock sub is a dual voice coil 6.5" (?) driver.

I hooked wires to the stock leads and into my 12" sub. It worked. And I have MUCH more low end. I could run an amp though as it is not getting enough power.

I have a 2017 VW GTI Autobahn with the Fender system. I am trying to find out from VW and Fender how much power goes out to the subwoofer. In the meantime I was wondering how the 12" sub is working for you? I was thinking about doing the same thing with a low power sub.

Defiler

Passed Driver's Ed
Finished mine a couple of weeks ago. Fits with room to spare. I was attempting to record the entire process to put a vid up on YT but when I picked the camera up to adjust the angle after building the entire box, etc. the battery was dead. I checked the footage and it only got an hour with no audio. I would've taken a lot more pics if I had known.

It's has had some time to break in and it is a huge difference already. I know the self-preserving attenuation the stock system is applying is killing the full potential of this sub and I will probably go the LC2/amp route or some kind of AudioControl amp with line conditioning built in. But for now this is fine.

Still needs carpet and I'll be ordering a wire harness. I don't care for the home brew spades.

I couldn't find my male spades. So, I made my own. A little snip here...

...and a little shrink wrap there.

There she is. The floor can close with about .5" to .75" to spare.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread.

Finished up my box today. Still working on tweaking the settings, can anyone send a picture of LC2i and amp settings for a 10” sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Why not just get a 10" or 12" one of these? They both fit perfectly and sound awesome!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Travis9935

Ready to race!
My understanding is they are too tall for the floor to sit flush and the 10 and 12 inch subs are not DVC. Only the 8" is.
Nope, the 10" model is perfect for bottom rear floor, I ordered a 12" model (tried a 10") that raises it a little or a inch...so prob have to use the higher mount. The 10" hit pretty hard with 400watts. But I want deeper, louder.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Nope, the 10" model is perfect for bottom rear floor, I ordered a 12" model (tried a 10") that raises it a little or a inch...so prob have to use the higher mount. The 10" hit pretty hard with 400watts. But I want deeper, louder.

That box is 6-3/8" so it won't fit above my space tire with the loading floor cover in the highest setting. I built my box 4" tall with a spacer ring for the sub and it is down-firing.

So far it sounds great and everything sounds much clearer since the front speakers don't have to work so hard to produce bass anymore. I have to add some poly fill which will hopefully make it sound much tighter.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
That right there tells me you added an amp. I think the point was to attempt to replace it without the need of another amp.
Well yeah, the stock amp prob wouldn't push them very hard. I took my spare tire out. I've never in my life had a flat. Plus I have roadside anyway. It's nice to be able to store stuff under there! Lol Plus saves weight too! ;-)

Travis9935

Ready to race!
That's what I have atm. 12", hits really hard... Honestly way to much, shakes mirrors violently. At least I can control it with bass level knob since all music bass is dif) I wanted more space for this summer back there so that's why I was experimenting with those Pioneer shallow boxes. Just saying if anyone wants a sub that fits under there they fit and sound really good. (no spare)

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for your input Travis , I’m glad that it works for you, some of us would rather keep the spare , I also have a custom box and 3 years ago before building mine I was considering the same sub that you have there but it would not work for me since I wanted to keep everything in place .

Schpadoinkle

Sorry to jack the thread, but can anyone tell the the part number for the MALE connector? And did I miss where someone posted what the 4 wires are? Pos/neg/L/R? Sorry again, just losing my mind trying to find any info on these sub/amp connections lol

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Sorry to jack the thread, but can anyone tell the the part number for the MALE connector? And did I miss where someone posted what the 4 wires are? Pos/neg/L/R? Sorry again, just losing my mind trying to find any info on these sub/amp connections lol

You might have seen one of my old posts. I had linked photos from my old website, so the photos are gone. But here's what I did, assuming the wire colors and connectors are the same as on my old Mk6:

To create a factory-like fit/finish, I purchased the Fender subwoofer connector housing, VW part number 8E0-972-714, and the appropriate pre-crimped wires, VW part number 000-979-134-EA (x2). This allowed me to mimic the subwoofer connector and plug directly into the car's harness...

Do the wire colors match what's in your car? Or should I delete this post to avoid confusion?

Scott

Schpadoinkle

Hello,

You might have seen one of my old posts. I had linked photos from my old website, so the photos are gone. But here's what I did, assuming the wire colors and connectors are the same as on my old Mk6:

To create a factory-like fit/finish, I purchased the Fender subwoofer connector housing, VW part number 8E0-972-714, and the appropriate pre-crimped wires, VW part number 000-979-134-EA (x2). This allowed me to mimic the subwoofer connector and plug directly into the car's harness...

Do the wire colors match what's in your car? Or should I delete this post to avoid confusion?

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for replying!! I’m actually trying to do the opposite. I have the OEM sub and am adding an amp to use that sub. Because I’m going this route I am looking all over to find the male connector to the sub. I know that’s kinda weird, but I got the OEM sub for free from my friend that works at a scrap yard.

Here’s a pic of what MY end looks like. It’s the same as what you ordered, just don’t have a male.