GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY AND REVIEW OF ED's GOLF R REPLICA HEADLIGHTS

aays06

Guys and Gals i wanted to take some time to do a diy and review of eds replica golf r headlights. I have taken a good amount of pics and will try to do my best with diy. its pretty straight forward and not that hard at all to install. it does take some time to do the install, but very easy at that.. i highly recommend these lights from ED.....

here is ed's information edward@becautoparts.com again i am not affiliated with edward im just a consumer who bought his product and wanted to share my thoughts...

INSTALL

total time approx 2 hrs.
tools needed. t25, t30, 10mm nut driver or ratchet, flat head screwdriver and some basic mechanical skill and patience.....

Here are pics of the packaging arriving and lights pulled out...

Next lets start the install...

The first thing you will need to do is take your t25 tool and remove the two bolts seen in the picture for the middle grill... once removed pull back gently toward front of car and lift up till it pops out....

now that you have the grill apart i moved to the wheel liners next to remove those bolts.. i turned my wheel all the way to the left to do both sides...
inside the wheel well you will have 4 t25 screws that need to be removed.. 2 up top, one in middle, and one at bottom....

after removing the 4 screws you will need to pull back the liner and look directly up where the bumper would meet the fender on the inside... there you will find the two 10mm bolts holding bumper tight to fender... these do not need to be completely removed just loosened to release bumper from fender..

after you loosen those two bolts, proceed to the other side of car to do the same thing.. once you do both sides you gently peel the bumper from the fender.. you will here a slight pop as the bumper leaves the clips holding it on..your bumper should now look like this..

once you have bumper peeled away from fender you will need to pull side of bumper away from vehicle to access a bolt that holds headlight in.. i belive its a t30 bolt inside the bumper where it meets the fender..

now that you have removed that bolt proceed back to front of car to remove headlights.. first you will want to remove the support bracket for the headlights shown in picture below.. there is three bolts holding this piece on all using the t30 tool..

once bracket is removed on both sides proceed to take out two more t30 bolts from headlight. one is at base of back of headlight and one is in front near the middle grill area as scene in pic below.

once those two bolts are removed you have to gently pull down on front of bumper towards you in middle of car so you can remove headlights.. i will show you a pic where the bumper clips to the car all in the middle if you pull back the bumper will release from these clips allowing you to remove headlight.. just a simple pull will release bumper enough to take out headlights..

once headlight is removed there is two tabs support brackets that hold headlight in car that need to be removed from stock headlight and swapped to new headlight.. this is where the flathead screwdriver comes into place...simply just slide these tabs off and put on new headlight...

now i do not have pictures of the next part but if your headlights come with hid kit like mine did wire those up... simply put the bulb into low beam socket and plug wires into harness and run wires throught the dust cap to ballast...

now simply put headlight back into place and connect new wire harness that comes with headlights... be sure to put all bolts back on tightly and dont forget about the bolt that goes into the side of headlight where bumper meets fender...from here its pretty much just reassembling everything you took off in the order it came off...the car should look like this once headlights are in..

here is a pic of one golf r light and one stock... you can see what a dramatic difference it makes....

once you put in headlights dont fully tighten them yet... put middle grill back in and align the headlight so they sit flush with grill then tighten all bolts... and insert grill back and tighten all together....

this should be finished look

and finally here is some pics of the hid and cutoff.. the projectors place a very nice beam patters much better then oem i think.... i still need a little adjustment.....

Sorry for all the long pics and story line, but i felt i wanted to give a thorough diy and review... These lights can be had from ed, and for the $620 they were i think they are a excellent price... the led's are super bright and the projectors seem top notch.... i could not be happier with this purchase... time will tell how they hold up, but from beginning purchase point they are well worth it to change out those yucky halogens from the factory... and by the way they work exactly like the originals the leds turn off when turn signal goes on just like factory as well.... And another great selling point is Ed backs up his products with a 1 year warranty unlike the other companies. he responds back every day with emails if you need to get ahold of him... i highly recommend buying from ed if you are interested in a set of lights......

if anyone has questions feel free to pm me for install, and pm or email ed for the purchase at edward@becautoparts.com

aays06

i mounted ballasts right to the side of headlight.. there is a perfect spot on them... fits nice and neat with double sided velcro industrial strength for easy access...

BrianfCheng1

Ready to race!
I have these and did the install about a week ago. These are a must buy for halogen equipped cars.

We just have I wait and see how the lenses hold up. I drove around in rain also and no moisture has gotten inside. I'm impressed with the overall quality and finish.

mk7norway

Ready to race!
I have these and did the install about a week ago. These are a must buy for halogen equipped cars.

We just have I wait and see how the lenses hold up. I drove around in rain also and no moisture has gotten inside. I'm impressed with the overall quality and finish.

how much did you pay? incl. shipping?

mk7norway

Ready to race!
I have one question!

How will these headlights function in the winter?

In Norway we have 3-4meters of snow and minus -20degrees in the winter.

Will they work as they seem to do in the summer?

aays06

I have one question!

I would imagine they would function the same as normal. Just to be safe Ed recommends a lamin x cover over lenses to protect them from harsh environments. But again they also carry a one year warranty so if they failed this winter ed would warranty you. He is really good to deal with very responsive.

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
I have one question!

The lights should hold up fine in your conditions. I have sold headlights for the Jetta and Passat here in Canada made by the same manufacturer, and they have gone through winters in Quebec and Ontario which is comparable. I have not had complaints about them. But again, use common sense, if you drive behind a salt truck, don't expect your car not to get damaged by flying salt. Lamin-x is a good idea.

Umit-G

[/URL]

Hi. i'm from Turkey .Great diy firs of all.
I just bought the same set from china (winpowers) .

I got a question you or Ed.
Light line just like that picture. How i can adjust it.is there a part or a screw ?
Could you help me . It would be great if you guys answer with pictures or a video
Thanks a lot

Guys and Gals i wanted to take some time to do a diy and review of eds replica golf r headlights. I have taken a good amount of pics and will try to do my best with diy. its pretty straight forward and not that hard at all to install. it does take some time to do the install, but very easy at that.. i highly recommend these lights from ED.....

here is ed's information edward@becautoparts.com again i am not affiliated with edward im just a consumer who bought his product and wanted to share my thoughts...

INSTALL

total time approx 2 hrs.
tools needed. t25, t30, 10mm nut driver or ratchet, flat head screwdriver and some basic mechanical skill and patience.....

Here are pics of the packaging arriving and lights pulled out...

Next lets start the install...

The first thing you will need to do is take your t25 tool and remove the two bolts seen in the picture for the middle grill... once removed pull back gently toward front of car and lift up till it pops out....

now that you have the grill apart i moved to the wheel liners next to remove those bolts.. i turned my wheel all the way to the left to do both sides...
inside the wheel well you will have 4 t25 screws that need to be removed.. 2 up top, one in middle, and one at bottom....

after removing the 4 screws you will need to pull back the liner and look directly up where the bumper would meet the fender on the inside... there you will find the two 10mm bolts holding bumper tight to fender... these do not need to be completely removed just loosened to release bumper from fender..

after you loosen those two bolts, proceed to the other side of car to do the same thing.. once you do both sides you gently peel the bumper from the fender.. you will here a slight pop as the bumper leaves the clips holding it on..your bumper should now look like this..

once you have bumper peeled away from fender you will need to pull side of bumper away from vehicle to access a bolt that holds headlight in.. i belive its a t30 bolt inside the bumper where it meets the fender..

now that you have removed that bolt proceed back to front of car to remove headlights.. first you will want to remove the support bracket for the headlights shown in picture below.. there is three bolts holding this piece on all using the t30 tool..

once bracket is removed on both sides proceed to take out two more t30 bolts from headlight. one is at base of back of headlight and one is in front near the middle grill area as scene in pic below.

once those two bolts are removed you have to gently pull down on front of bumper towards you in middle of car so you can remove headlights.. i will show you a pic where the bumper clips to the car all in the middle if you pull back the bumper will release from these clips allowing you to remove headlight.. just a simple pull will release bumper enough to take out headlights..

once headlight is removed there is two tabs support brackets that hold headlight in car that need to be removed from stock headlight and swapped to new headlight.. this is where the flathead screwdriver comes into place...simply just slide these tabs off and put on new headlight...

now i do not have pictures of the next part but if your headlights come with hid kit like mine did wire those up... simply put the bulb into low beam socket and plug wires into harness and run wires throught the dust cap to ballast...

now simply put headlight back into place and connect new wire harness that comes with headlights... be sure to put all bolts back on tightly and dont forget about the bolt that goes into the side of headlight where bumper meets fender...from here its pretty much just reassembling everything you took off in the order it came off...the car should look like this once headlights are in..

here is a pic of one golf r light and one stock... you can see what a dramatic difference it makes....

once you put in headlights dont fully tighten them yet... put middle grill back in and align the headlight so they sit flush with grill then tighten all bolts... and insert grill back and tighten all together....

this should be finished look

and finally here is some pics of the hid and cutoff.. the projectors place a very nice beam patters much better then oem i think.... i still need a little adjustment.....

Sorry for all the long pics and story line, but i felt i wanted to give a thorough diy and review... These lights can be had from ed, and for the $620 they were i think they are a excellent price... the led's are super bright and the projectors seem top notch.... i could not be happier with this purchase... time will tell how they hold up, but from beginning purchase point they are well worth it to change out those yucky halogens from the factory... and by the way they work exactly like the originals the leds turn off when turn signal goes on just like factory as well.... And another great selling point is Ed backs up his products with a 1 year warranty unlike the other companies. he responds back every day with emails if you need to get ahold of him... i highly recommend buying from ed if you are interested in a set of lights......

if anyone has questions feel free to pm me for install, and pm or email ed for the purchase at edward@becautoparts.com

aayos06 mind showing a pic of where u mounted the ballast??

aays06

yes when i get home tonight ill take a pic of the setup and show you... there is room however to mount the ballast underneath headlight as well.. but i think that is silly... it makes for a cleaner look but it would be a pain in the you know what if you had a problem because you have to remove the whole assembly again to get at it... mine is mounted on side of light.. will show shortly....

yes when i get home tonight ill take a pic of the setup and show you... there is room however to mount the ballast underneath headlight as well.. but i think that is silly... it makes for a cleaner look but it would be a pain in the you know what if you had a problem because you have to remove the whole assembly again to get at it... mine is mounted on side of light.. will show shortly....

Thanks Man!!!

How was dealing with Compass Motors? im from Goshen and went all the way up to Kingston just to avoid going through Compass

Umit-G

Hi. i'm from Turkey .Great diy firs of all.
I just bought the same set from china (winpowers) .

I got a question you or Ed.
Light line just like that picture. How i can adjust it.is there a part or a screw ?
Could you help me . It would be great if you guys answer with pictures or a video
Thanks a lot
When you get home i hope you can answer my post my friend