GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Oh, I am not arguing that the stock system is restrictive. I took the snow guard out and dremelled the driver's side and the top of the grill analogous to the passenger side. But are you sure there are no engine bay cooling benefits to leaving the passenger side unblocked?

You might see a degree or two benefit if you're going 80+ mph on a super hot day, but realistically this engine doesn't ever get crazy hot anyways on the top end, any heat is typically seen back by the turbo which would be out of reach from a small front air vent. It's a turbo therefore if you're worrying about heatsoak, etc. the main contributor is the intercooler and the efficiency of your intake to bring in a full supply of cool air. Blowing a little air on the top of the engine cover won't do shit. NA engines require more head-on air-engine cooling as they run hotter and don't rely on an intercooler to cool pressurized air traveling into the block, they simply have the front blowing fans, hence why there's a lot more of the known hood vents, etc. on big blocks and V-8 NA cars.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You might see a degree or two benefit if you're going 80+ mph on a super hot day, but realistically this engine doesn't ever get crazy hot anyways on the top end, any heat is typically seen back by the turbo which would be out of reach from a small front air vent. It's a turbo therefore if you're worrying about heatsoak, etc. the main contributor is the intercooler and the efficiency of your intake to bring in a full supply of cool air. Blowing a little air on the top of the engine cover won't do shit. NA engines require more head-on air-engine cooling as they run hotter and don't rely on an intercooler to cool pressurized air traveling into the block, they simply have the front blowing fans, hence why there's a lot more of the known hood vents, etc. on big blocks and V-8 NA cars.

I'm sold.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
I also considered running an aftermarket IC as well but doing some looking into it the stock unit does fairly well for what it is unless I'm running a VERY aggressive tune which I'll never do again, not to mention installing an IC on this car is a bitch and a half and I've already basically told myself I don't plan on doing any more engine mods for the foreseeable future, just not worth it in the long run. This car already performs as good if not better than I'd ever need for my needs and enjoyment. 10 years ago I spent a lot more time and money on mods that boosted power as I thought I needed it when I didn't. Guess you could say I've just gotten smarter with age, I mean it's not like my right foot's loosened up at all so..

Last mod I spent money on to date was a set of wheels and tires which I'm about to receive, pretty decent deal too and there's a big weight saving bonus, I can do the install myself and it's easy enough. Just don't see much else needed in the future other than keeping her cleaner more consistently.

I feel like you just have to choose where and when to let the mod bug get you. You get onto those sites that offer everything for the car and you just go crazy, I want a DP and a JB4 and an APR intercooler and this and that and before you know it you've basically rebuilt half the car for little to no reason. I've come to realize its MODDING more so, not re-building. If I went and bought a $10k used car intent on rebuilding most of it's internals, etc. that's one thing but I know i'll never do that, I've always bought new and modding for me is more of a personalization of the car than anything which is why I invest in smaller more specified interior mods or lower cost engine mods that still have a decent effect on performance without having to rip everything apart just to do it.

Everyone has their reasons for their mods, most on here I see they say it's cause they track it now and then or this n that, but most I still feel get caught by the bug just under personalization of their car and just get swept away by all the "what if's" and possible ooh and ahh upgrades to be had that just so happen to cost a shit ton. Guess at that point it's more of an expensive hobby then a personalization

/end rant

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I also considered running an aftermarket IC as well but doing some looking into it the stock unit does fairly well for what it is unless I'm running a VERY aggressive tune which I'll never do again, not to mention installing an IC on this car is a bitch and a half and I've already basically told myself I don't plan on doing any more engine mods for the foreseeable future, just not worth it in the long run. This car already performs as good if not better than I'd ever need for my needs and enjoyment. 10 years ago I spent a lot more time and money on mods that boosted power as I thought I needed it when I didn't. Guess you could say I've just gotten smarter with age, I mean it's not like my right foot's loosened up at all so..

Last mod I spent money on to date was a set of wheels and tires which I'm about to receive, pretty decent deal too and there's a big weight saving bonus, I can do the install myself and it's easy enough. Just don't see much else needed in the future other than keeping her cleaner more consistently.

I feel like you just have to choose where and when to let the mod bug get you. You get onto those sites that offer everything for the car and you just go crazy, I want a DP and a JB4 and an APR intercooler and this and that and before you know it you've basically rebuilt half the car for little to no reason. I've come to realize its MODDING more so, not re-building. If I went and bought a $10k used car intent on rebuilding most of it's internals, etc. that's one thing but I know i'll never do that, I've always bought new and modding for me is more of a personalization of the car than anything which is why I invest in smaller more specified interior mods or lower cost engine mods that still have a decent effect on performance without having to rip everything apart just to do it.

Everyone has their reasons for their mods, most on here I see they say it's cause they track it now and then or this n that, but most I still feel get caught by the bug just under personalization of their car and just get swept away by all the "what if's" and possible ooh and ahh upgrades to be had that just so happen to cost a shit ton. Guess at that point it's more of an expensive hobby then a personalization

/end rant
A hobby it is. A lot of what we do is not totally rational. Just boys with toys to a large extent.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Came in the other day. Center cap decals for my winter wheels. Trying to decide if I want to go Deutschland or Empire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What diameter? I might pick up those empire ones if you don't use them lol

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Drove it for the first time in weeks yesterday and today. Also, 2nd the comment about the worst superbowl. What a boring game. Of course the Massachusetts guy would say it was insane haha ;). It was very, very, very far from insane.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Did direct throttle coding and increased traction on the VAQ diff. Technically that was yesterday....

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Did direct throttle coding and increased traction on the VAQ diff. Technically that was yesterday....
The increased traction VAQ setting is one of my favorite changes I've made to the car.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
The increased traction VAQ setting is one of my favorite changes I've made to the car.
Do tell.... What does it do or how do you feel it?

Obd11 is inbound

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Do tell.... What does it do or how do you feel it?

Obd11 is inbound
My understanding is that the VAQ diff engages more quickly and often. This is felt when you accelerate though corners, you really feel the outer wheel power the car through the turn. The car as a result feels less understeery and paired with my H&R RSB it's perfect IMO. A side effect of this I have noticed is that the steering gets heavier, but I actually like the heavier steering so for me its a bonus. You could always set the steering to normal or comfort to counteract this.