GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Took a day off and drove 150 miles so i can shred some ice on a... so called, "mountain". It's out there somewhere, i promise you guys! Opened her up a few times through some farm roads, man does that Stage1 feel good!

pcguru83

Ready to race!
Apparently I have deeply offended my GTI in some way. In fact, I think my new GTI hates me.

I noticed the day after I picked the car up that my GTI badge on the driver's side was crooked and the tow hook cover on the front bumper kept popping out slightly. No big deal, took it to the dealer and they got me taken care of. Literally that same trip, as I pulled into the garage at home, I felt something rolling around at my feet. It was this thing:

Looked around in the driver's side footwell, and only thing I could find was a spot near where the carpet joined the back of the footwell that looked like maybe it was missing a retaining clip. Didn't think too much of it, and figured I'd mention it to the dealer next time I was in. I threw it in the cupholder and went on in the house. This turned out to be a mistake.

Fast forward to tonight. My wife and I are leaving Chick-Fil-A with freshly refilled drinks. My wife sets her cup in the cupholder, not realizing that this retaining clip thing is sitting in there, pointy side up. We barely get out of the parking lot, and she picks up her drink, only to find it empty. She screams that something is wrong as the cup is still dripping with soda. I quickly pulled off to the side of the road and found literally my entire center console cupholder about 3/4 of the way full of soda. The retaining clip thing punctured the bottom of the cup, and her entire drink emptied out into the cupholder. There are absolutely zero napkins in the car at this point because it has less than 500 miles on it and I've yet to eat in it at any point (and hadn't planned on it).

We turn right back around and head into the Chick-Fil-A, which was now closed. My wife knocks on the door, and they hand her napkins. Knowing that is not going to do a bit of good for a cupholder full of soda, I asked for some towels of some sort. Props to the employee, he gave me a bunch of these blue super-absorbent disposable towel things that worked great at absorbing the massive amount of diet soda that had filled the cupholder.

The good news is that everything was almost exclusively isolated to the center console. I gave it a good cleaning with soap and water as soon as we got home, along with removing the rubber piece in the bottom to clean it separately. Splatter outside of the cupholder was extremely minimal. Wiped down everything I could get to with a damp microfiber cloth, and I'm confident there will be no lasting damage. I'm incredibly thankful that it wasn't any worse than it was. It's extremely unnerving to see a cupholder filled almost to the top with soda in your brand new car.

So yeah, that's what I did to my MK7 today... :eek:

Last edited:

shauno

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf MkV GTI
And *that* is why you don't have food or drinks in the car!

Bloody trim pieces! Whenever I take something apart & put it back together, there's always a
spare bit at the end :)

sasamok

Nice! Looks good. I've been eyeing their track edition catback myself. Are those the black or the chrome tips (kinda hard to tell in the pic)?

How was the install? Did you use jack stands, ramps, a lift? I assume it needs to be raised at the front and rear to have enough working space? Would be installing myself and just trying to get an idea of what's required as I only have two jack stands at the moment.

+1

Would also be interested in hearing which one you chose and your thoughts.

I got the Track Edition with Chrome tips. I used a couple ramps to raise the back of the car. Didn't raise the front at all. It gets pretty thight towards the downpipe, but if u aren't a big person u can do it. It took me a litle over 2 hrs to do the install.
I only have it on my car for a few days, haven't driven on the highway yet, just city and some back roads. So far really happy with the sound, and I find myself turning off the radio more often now. The sound is really close to stock exhaust under normal driving, but soon that u push the gas pedal it's just opens up! If u not looking for the racer boy sound on your car this system it's a great choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I got the Track Edition with Chrome tips. I used a couple ramps to raise the back of the car. Didn't raise the front at all. It gets pretty thight towards the downpipe, but if u aren't a big person u can do it. It took me a litle over 2 hrs to do the install.

Sweet, thanks for the response!

I only have it on my car for a few days, haven't driven on the highway yet, just city and some back roads. So far really happy with the sound, and I find myself turning off the radio more often now. The sound is really close to stock exhaust under normal driving, but soon that u push the gas pedal it's just opens up! If u not looking for the racer boy sound on your car this system it's a great choice!

I'm not :D. Just want a little bit deeper/louder cold start and idle, and a slightly louder but sophisticated sound under throttle. Sounds like it will be a good fit.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
New German Performance delivery

My APR shifter parts and 42DD bushings arrived today.....

I am looking forward to installing these bits and enjoying the improvements.

A big thanks to Mike @ NGP for getting all of this together and shipping it out quickly! :)

Cyrk

Passed Driver's Ed
Added these Aluminum DSG Paddle Shifter Extension...

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Drove from Rochester NY to DC with three girls. The GTI handled it like a champ and all I wanted to do was keep driving to shift through the gears! Averaged 36+mpg!

triniintexas

New tips muffler delete

This is my first major mod to my mk7.
After a few weeks of intense research, watching youtube videos and talking to other VW car enthusiast I decided to go with the muffler delete until I can get a proper tune and then I can put some money into the performance exhaust system.
Why did I do the delete?
- My brother has a M 135 and that exhaust note stock compared to my GTI stock was unbelievable. I know I know I could never replicate that with a 4 cyl, but doing the muffler delete did not make it sound like a Honda at all. It is not a deep sounding as the BMW but it does sound as if there is some character there.

- While I had the muffler shop do the work, why not add some very nice 4inch tips that make the stock 2.5inch tips look weak.

I am very impressed with the delete, there is no drone and as others have said you get a little better exhaust note.

Attachments

• new tips side.jpg
    new tips side.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 1,684
  • New tips top angle.jpg
    New tips top angle.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 1,698
  • New tips angle.jpg
    New tips angle.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,668

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
This is my first major mod to my mk7.
After a few weeks of intense research, watching youtube videos and talking to other VW car enthusiast I decided to go with the muffler delete until I can get a proper tune and then I can put some money into the performance exhaust system.
Why did I do the delete?
- My brother has a M 135 and that exhaust note stock compared to my GTI stock was unbelievable. I know I know I could never replicate that with a 4 cyl, but doing the muffler delete did not make it sound like a Honda at all. It is not a deep sounding as the BMW but it does sound as if there is some character there.

- While I had the muffler shop do the work, why not add some very nice 4inch tips that make the stock 2.5inch tips look weak.

I am very impressed with the delete, there is no drone and as others have said you get a little better exhaust note.

Looks nice! :) Have any sound clips you can share?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
Short Shifter Stuff installed....

Goods parts, well worth the time and dollars invested.
Now the trans has definite, positive engagement and a more together mechanical feel.
I have the throw set about 50% less than stock and am liking it.
I may play with the adjustment more another day, but it feels a lot better than it did before.

Parts installed: APR short shifter kit, shifter bracket and 42DD shifter bushings.

APR all steel bracket and plastic factory rubber mounted shifter cable bracket:

No flexing now.

NeNaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
At the dealer.. Getting 10000 service done.. [emoji594]

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1457184203107.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457184203107.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,433