GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gertie GTD

James75

Go Kart Champion
I hope your hire car is adequate, well it certainly won't match the Camper size wise, lets hope your not in a vehicle with a piddly engine. Or that you don't look like Mr Incredible inside a small vehicle! :)

I'm moving away from BMW so the wait and VW best be worth it!

lol - I need a smaller easier more practical vehicle. :)

James

James75

Go Kart Champion
Well the end of the week...

The California Beach was sold on Tuesday, the same day as my tracker moved to 'With the Factory', which is a small crumb of comfort, I still know the tracker is little more than a guide but it felt a little better.

I now have the cash in the bank to buy a Gertie and naturally, my curiosity wandered to used stock, I mean, that could cut down the wait. But the used stock I saw didn't match the spec i wanted, I am sure you could haggle a good deal but I'd only be paying for my impatient nature and that doesn't seem right.

I've picked up a hire Polo, a 1.0 beast that is quite good fun and it is quite nice, small, but nice. That's going to be my ride until Gertie arrives.

We had friends staying this week who had hired a MK7 Golf DSG, not sure what spec but it was nice, gave me a chance to read the handbook and get acquainted with controls and menus.

I keep looking at different colours and although I am happy with white, I like some of the silvers in the right light but white is fine.

I've been scouring youtube checking out how some of the assist systems work, I really wanted to see a detailed video of Discover Pro.

Had thought of silver mirrors.... but no modding on this vehicle!

I do love the darkened rear lights of the R

James

James75

Go Kart Champion
Dealer called today...

Build Week 36 apparently - 1st week in September... Dealer seemed to think I'd be int he car by the end of sep.... hmmm....

They did mention figures for September etc etc

Last edited:

James75

Go Kart Champion
Well not much update, we've moved to build week 37, in a way, this hard seems to matter, I've resigned myself to October and that is fine.

For anyone who has suffered through my posts will know I have had an ongoing query about Lane Assist.

When we ordered Gertie and configured her at the dealer, like the VW website offered Lane Assist with High Beam Assist at £700.

Sometime after ordering Gertie, the website changed, and all models with Xenons as standard, now had Lane Assist had increased to £950 and now came with 'dynamic light assist', which i presumed was to do with the Xenon lights.

This forum was very helpful and i gradually began to wonder what we would be getting on Gertie.

I didn't mind really but it would be unfortunate to miss out on the an equipment package by a week or so.

The dealers were helpful but in a kind of, yes we will talk about it but we have no idea of what the options really are, despite me quoting the difference between Lane Assist at £700 and Lane Assist at £950 as per the VW website.

It seems after getting the order codes that we have the £950 package which we paid £700 for, so because of the Xenons we have Dynamic Light Assist as opposed to normal High Beam Assist. Now, don't think we're feeling smug, it's just luck.

It does beg the question, quite what are people getting. If you're speccing a GT for example, you've got the choice of two Xenon light packages, does that mean you can only have the £950 lane assist?

Anyway the wait continues.

Attachments

• pdc.jpg
    pdc.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 8,481

James75

Go Kart Champion
And here we are today, BW commencing 7th September - weirdly I liked it when I thought miracles might happen, now I know when it will be built and I have to wait, I feel a bit, deflated lol - at least before i could delude myself that it might arrive sooner.

This week's query over - 'what equipment am I getting', is the good old Traffic Sign Recognition.

Thank to Kev's excellent post

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3266&highlight=dynamic+light+assist

and the posting of the codes for the entire vehicle, it appears Traffic Sign Recognition is a separate code, it's not on my order form, so I presume it won't be but it looks like it can be coded with VCDS.

I did ring UK VW Customer Services... But they didn't know what I mean....

So, now, the waiting game.....

Attachments

• ord.jpg
    ord.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 8,557
Last edited:

James75

Go Kart Champion
1st Sep 2014

Nothing much to report but as Gertie in theory goes into production next week, I am (tentatively at least) thinking about when Gertie arrives.

As I have waited I have had time to mull other cars I might have purchased, the only two that seem to be cars mentioned by others are the new Mini, which my brother has just taken delivery of and the Alfa Romeo Guiletta. The Alfa is a heartstrings car; it tugs at them, even my Dad’s 57 plate 157 in red looks awesome. That’s the point they look beautiful and the thought of something that good with that Alfa character is tempting. The new Mini is receiving rave reviews and for the price of the Golf I could have made my way through the Mini’s extensive options list, they even have a 5 door hatch version now. But neither car has quite swayed me, the Alfa is wonderful but it’s getting old now, it will be replaced in the next couple of years and the residuals will fall through the floor. The Mini is harder to dismiss but I have dismissed, I don’t deny it’s wonderfulness but I like the discreet nature of the Golf, it’s understated and that’s what I like, I saw a GTD on the M5 this morning, it’s the perfect stealth car.

Onto the regular spot regarding equipment, I spent some time going through the German Volkswagen site, just to confirm a few things. This weeks question was will I get traffic sign recognition and display on the MFD and the answer is.... no, no I won’t be getting it, the code wasn’t on my build sheet, so no surprise there but i checked with the dealer just to be sure. However I see that it can be activated by VCDS, so I will consider asking someone very kindly to do that (if possible). I notice in Germany it’s a 300 euro option hence why it has an equipment code.

I’ve also confirmed that I will be able to choose from a number of registration plates, I am not holding out for ‘VW64GTD’, but hey, you can dream…

The dealership have also confirmed that they will paint the mirrors black for £100, perhaps a bit more than a body shop, but they will do it before I pick it up, so I have said yes to that.

Next week will be nail biting as I wait for the tracker to update, but I am into September now, so I have survived two months of waiting.

Last edited:

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
What colour was the GTD? I was down the M6/M5 earlier today.

Noticed you are getting your mirrors painted, do you have any other mods for Gertie?

James75

Go Kart Champion
It was red, was it you? No other mods, I was going to put a wrap on the roof or two stripes off centre up and over the bonnet and roof. But I am not sure that would work on the Golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Not me then, mine is Pure White.

They don’t scream and shout look at me. But you can tell the people that know. Often a approving nod or thumbs up.

On the odd occasion someone trying to race & cut you up.

James75

Go Kart Champion
It's the first time I've seen one believe it or not. They look quite different to stock Golf 7's. The led drl's are particularly effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Yes, they sure do. I really love the lighting. The rear leds look great too!!

One thing I really love is the interior lighting, very smart. Not forgetting the puddle lights in the mirrors.

It all feels very premium.

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
They don’t scream and shout look at me. But you can tell the people that know. Often a approving nod or thumbs up.

Yeah I find that too, has happened quite a bit in the last couple of months.

salmon

Ready to race!
Yes, they sure do. I really love the lighting. The rear leds look great too!!

One thing I really love is the interior lighting, very smart. Not forgetting the puddle lights in the mirrors.

It all feels very premium.
I concur, coming from BMW where I had to select options to get up to the Golf's level of spec, quite frankly is refreshing.