GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Denver

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Perhaps a stupid sounding question for all you high altitude people. Ive been in Boulder for almost a year now. When I got here, I noticed that my car takes off extremely slowly from a dig (car is DSG). When I get on it, the car will take off slowly for what feels like an eternity (at least a sec or two) before I feel any torque. Short shifting to 2nd speeds up the car quickly. The car takes off ok on easy throttle. Is it really just the altitude? I havent driven any other cars here (other than our Prius) so I cant tell. Just want to make sure this is normal and theres nothing else that might be going on with the DSG.

Mods are JB1 and forge twintercooler. No relevant mods done with OBD11. On new Firehawk tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FrostyMK7

Is it really just the altitude? I havent driven any other cars here (other than our Prius) so I cant tell. Just want to make sure this is normal and theres nothing else that might be going on with the DSG.

Mods are JB1 and forge twintercooler. No relevant mods done with OBD11. On new Firehawk tires.

Hey Gogo, welcome to Colorado! I work in Boulder off Arapahoe, let me know if you ever want to meet up.

Altitude definitely plays a part in power delivery up here at 5,200ft. there's about 16% less air here than at sea level so there is a decrease in power at higher elevations.

Your issues sound pretty normal, the turbo takes just a little longer to get the necessary air. My suggestion is staying in boost when you're looking for power 3-4k RPM's and all should be good.

I've been here most of my life so I forget about the whole elevation aspect, hope that helps. :)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Perhaps a stupid sounding question for all you high altitude people. Ive been in Boulder for almost a year now. When I got here, I noticed that my car takes off extremely slowly from a dig (car is DSG). When I get on it, the car will take off slowly for what feels like an eternity (at least a sec or two) before I feel any torque. Short shifting to 2nd speeds up the car quickly. The car takes off ok on easy throttle. Is it really just the altitude? I havent driven any other cars here (other than our Prius) so I cant tell. Just want to make sure this is normal and theres nothing else that might be going on with the DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No VCDS?OBD11 tweaks? That's your issue.

You need two tweaks:

1) Throttle Input: Direct (stock setting is Controlled Over Time)
2) Starting Vibration Reduction: Off (stock setting is either Normal or Strong)

1) The throttle input makes a 1-1 relationship between pedal position and throttle requested, and doesn't take into account speed of pedal depression.

2) The starting vibration reduction feature neuters 1st gear engagements and subsequent throttle ramping.

Between the two, it'll really waken the car up from <10 mph speeds.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Hey Gogo, welcome to Colorado! I work in Boulder off Arapahoe, let me know if you ever want to meet up.

Altitude definitely plays a part in power delivery up here at 5,200ft. there's about 16% less air here than at sea level so there is a decrease in power at higher elevations.

Your issues sound pretty normal, the turbo takes just a little longer to get the necessary air. My suggestion is staying in boost when you're looking for power 3-4k RPM's and all should be good.

I've been here most of my life so I forget about the whole elevation aspect, hope that helps. :)

Hm, I mean I drove my GTI to Colorado once and don't remember any noticeable decrease in throttle response, OR power but my car was a MT.\

You are definitely right about cars losing power, but at least with turbos and torque-targeting ECUs you can regain most of the lost power. The ECU just requests more boost :)

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
No VCDS?OBD11 tweaks? That's your issue.

You need two tweaks:

1) Throttle Input: Direct (stock setting is Controlled Over Time)
2) Starting Vibration Reduction: Off (stock setting is either Normal or Strong)

1) The throttle input makes a 1-1 relationship between pedal position and throttle requested, and doesn't take into account speed of pedal depression.

2) The starting vibration reduction feature neuters 1st gear engagements and subsequent throttle ramping.

Between the two, it'll really waken the car up from <10 mph speeds.

I'm going to do these this weekend, thanks for the suggestion.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Those the same for a 6MT R? What menu are they in for OBD11?

Also, for snow tires Hakkapellita's are a mike drop. Simply the best snow tire, period.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Anyone meeting in/around the Springs this weekend? I'm flying in to see family, but up to roll out to meet some of y'all