GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do 19" wheels ruin the GTI

JohnT1

The question is in the title really. I've seen reports re save your money. But I've seen pics that improve the looks with 19s. I've not ordered yet but on the brink. Also re the spare space saver does it make a difference or is the space saver a set size regardless of standard 18" or upgraded 19".thanks for any advice.

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
Personally I think the 19's suit the Mk7 GTI better compared the 18's, but in all fairness they both look great.

My space saver is still an 18" though.

Here is my black 3dr with the 19" Santiago's. :)

JohnT1

They look great.Is there an issue running an 18" space saver on the other 3x19" wheels? Also what do you think of ride quality/ride?

Last edited:

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
They look great.Is there an issue running an 18" space saver on the other 3x19" wheels? Also what do you think of ride quality/ride?

I wouldn't of thought there would be any issues running the 18" space saver.

I'm sure the larger profile of the tyre on the space saver would even the ride out nicely, but I've yet to try it out so can't really tell you.

Ride quality is great. I thought they would be very noisy and bumpy but they seem perfectly fine to me. Not annoying at all.

Just hard work to clean that's all ;)

16plus4v1

Ready to race!
These newer cars can run lower profile tires and not notice much change like we used to see with the mk3,5 etc.. As long as your air pressure is set to the conditions you should be just fine.

Doug3

Passed Driver's Ed
Those look great, but after paying cash for my 2015 GTI, I'm kinda tapped out. I'll leave it stock for now.

BrowardMK6

Banned
the 19" clearly look good but the 18" will handle better...
I'm wondering how DCC dampers perform with aftermarket springs...

Last edited:
Space saver is not an issue, as the rolling radius is the same, or as close as, whatever wheel/tyre combination is fitted - hence the lower profiles as the wheel diameter increases.

19's look great, no doubt about that. I had 19's on my last car - an Audi TT. They looked fabulous and didn't harm the ride or handling to any extent. What I hated about them was the cost of new tyres! £500 every spring for a new pair was not funny! 18's are disproportionately cheaper and look almost as good.

Finepics

Ready to race!
@Richard MK7 - they look great but I bet you have to go easy over all those speed humps for 790yds on the signs in the background!! My nice 15''ers make that a cinch!! (but then I don't have a GTI).