GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW oil compatibility chart

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...2017-Technical-Service-Bulletin-1.22.2018.pdf

By chance I had been just about to make a purchase of the FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO C3 5W30 which on the bottle shows VW 504 and 507 approval (not just recommendation) and yet this oil is not even shown in this most recent TSB :confused:.

(How is one ever to keep up with "warranty approved oil"?)

Take heart, that particular flavor is listed on p21 of the above link so use it and be happy!

I've been using LubroMoly Long Life III (VW 504/507) in both TDIs and the GTI, oil consumption on the GTI is about .2L in 5K miles, which is less than the M1 European the dealer used for the freebie and about the same as the factory fill. I like only having 1 oil for all our cars and neither of us drives over 10K per year anymore so the long life aspect appeals to me for annual oil changes.

People909

Ready to race!
I use what's recommended, Castrol edge. I figure I should listen to the guys that made the thing since they probably know more than I do.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I'd be interested in knowing what oil others are using in there 2019> GTIs.
As I'll be doing an early oil and filter on mine being that Volkswagen now
calls for 508.00 0W20.
I do feel that there are better oil choices than castrol.
Yes I will be using an OEM VW oil filter.

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
I'd be interested in knowing what oil others are using in there 2019> GTIs.
As I'll be doing an early oil and filter on mine being that Volkswagen now
calls for 508.00 0W20.
I do feel that there are better oil choices than castrol.
Yes I will be using an OEM VW oil filter.

After much research on this subject, I'm sticking with 502.00 on my 2019 GTI. From what I can gather, the switch to 508.00 0w20 was for MPG reasons, and not due to any internal engine changes, and certainly not because 0w20 is better for a performance turbo engine. Funny, the 2019 Golf R still recommends 502.00 5w40.

Since my car will be tuned and no engine warranty anyways, I'll stick with 5w40 502.00 like the R. Volkswagen clearly thinks it's the better oil for a higher performance engine. Eff MPG. I keep my cars 200k miles. If you don't mod your cars and don't keep them past warranty expires, who cares.

Just my opinion.

copperbeech

Passed Driver's Ed
Funny, the 2019 Golf R still recommends 502.00 5w40.

Are you sure? I thought I recall that later in the year production of even the 2018 Rs listed only the 504(/507) certification under the hood. :confused:

I'll stick with 5w40 502.00 like the R. Volkswagen clearly thinks it's the better oil for a higher performance engine.

I am not sure why you think VW considers a 502 oil the "better oil" given that the 504/507 rating is the more demanding one. (And so I use the 504/507 rated oils in our 2018 R and UOAs have confirmed that these 0W30/5W30 oils protect very well.)

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
I didn't say 502 was better than 504. You're right, 504 even better. My point was 502 is better than 508.00 0w20 for my application.

Just double checked my 2019 manual, but yes it shows 502 or 504 for the Golf R. No 508.00.

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
Is a 504 rated oil not 'permitted' for the GTI?

Well, of course it is. I guess your point is, why am I going to use 502 instead of 504?

I will be tuned, I'm a very spirited driver, my daily driving is mostly stop-and-go driving, and I live in god awfully hot climate that is tough on engines and oil. I have no interest in testing my oil to 10k. I plan on 5k - 7.5k oil changes. 502 is cheaper and I thought maybe 504 was overkill?

Maybe I should use 504, I don't know. Should I? I'm no expert. I just know I'm not running 0w20 ;)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
They are starting to switch to 5W-30 and lower generally to hit fuel (edit->) mileage targets. A high quality 5W-40 is going to lubricate at high temperatures better than an equivalent 5W-30.

The 30 indicates lower viscosity at 100C (212F) then 40. Lower viscosity means less protection, all other things being equal.

Back in my BMW days guys ran 50 or 60 weight in the M track cars for extra protection at the limit.

I'm sure modern 5W-30 is much improved since then, but I wouldn't touch it on a high performance car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Are you sure? I thought I recall that later in the year production of even the 2018 Rs listed only the 504(/507) certification under the hood. :confused:

I am not sure why you think VW considers a 502 oil the "better oil" given that the 504/507 rating is the more demanding one. (And so I use the 504/507 rated oils in our 2018 R and UOAs have confirmed that these 0W30/5W30 oils protect very well.)
It has to be more demanding because the oil is thinner at operating temps and this makes it inherently harder to lubricate.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
A single anecdotal example on a <40,000 car isn't going to change physics. Also those tests are limited in what they can predict.

I said "all things being equal" and what I mean is that a high quality 5W-40 will beat a high quality 5W-30 in protection, this is just based on the characteristics of the oil. It's literally in the rating.

However, a good 5W-30 will beat a mediocre 5W-40 in daily driving.

Run 5W-30 on your tuned & tracked car, you're going to have a bad time.