GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R vs. Audi RS3/Golf R 400 Engine Components

Cabra

Ready to race!
What are the major differences between the engines on the Golf R (300 hp) and the Audi RS3 and Golf R400 ?

In other words, what components can be upgraded on the Golf R to get 400 hp ?

Bayern

Ready to race!
The article I read said "mild revisions" and didn't clarify any more than that. My suspicion is the addition of multiport injection and probably a bigger turbo. I don't know if they upgraded the rods and pistons in order to make this reliable. I would guess not...

FWIW I read an article that MTM tuning has squeezed about 50hp and 50ft-lbs of tq from what seems like just a tune (like stage 1). So... I think gtiw7 is right. A stage 2+ would likely get 400hp and most likely no other major engine work would be required.

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
The article I read said "mild revisions" and didn't clarify any more than that. My suspicion is the addition of multiport injection and probably a bigger turbo. I don't know if they upgraded the rods and pistons in order to make this reliable. I would guess not...

FWIW I read an article that MTM tuning has squeezed about 50hp and 50ft-lbs of tq from what seems like just a tune (like stage 1). So... I think gtiw7 is right. A stage 2+ would likely get 400hp and most likely no other major engine work would be required.

I have also read the article saying mild revisions, but Vw saying mild revisions could mean a lot to joe public. I also suspect a bigger turbo, pos better cooling and ecu remap. They also reworked the dsg to the higher hp and probably some 4motion settings.

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
VW or Audi revisions are normally stuff like 'strengthened block, different con rods and pistons'' plus a few other bits, Don't forget VW/Audi will test the motor at 100% load for hours on end and not a short squirt here and there between traffic light which is the more normal use!!

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
don't know about first question. but for the second one; APR stage 2 or 2+ will most probably be enough

Mmm what do u mean by stage 2+? The "+" on the mk6R platform stood for the upgraded hpfp. For as much as we know there is no 2 "+" tune on the mk7 R cause it uses a reworked EA888 engine that does not require upgrading the hpfp.
That said, i believe a stage 2 setup (tune and dp) should get the 7 R in the 380bhp zone

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Mmm what do u mean by stage 2+? The "+" on the mk6R platform stood for the upgraded hpfp. For as much as we know there is no 2 "+" tune on the mk7 R cause it uses a reworked EA888 engine that does not require upgrading the hpfp.
That said, i believe a stage 2 setup (tune and dp) should get the 7 R in the 380bhp zone

APR said the NA hpfp were upgradeable