GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone tried a local, less expensive alternative to the Sailkote? Something like this from Autozone?
https://m.autozone.com/miscellaneous-cleaners-and-degreasers/lube/wd-40-dry-ptfe-lube/457174_0_0

I'm the "original" Sailkote proponent on these boards - and yes - I did buy a can of Teflon dry lube (3M) I believe, since my Sailkote ran out.
I've gotten similar results with it, though I need to note that the roads where I live and drive now are mostly excellent vs where I was when I first used Sailkote - which was a lunar landscape.

WetMacula

My passenger door creaked for the last two years. I fixed it yesterday in about 30 minutes. First step was to remove the door card and drive around (order some spare door clips first). The noise disappeared so the problem wasn't the door seals. I lined the perimeter of the plastic door card with fabric tape. The door lock switch made an awful creaking noise and so does the plastic carbon fiber insert with the blue LED. I removed the switch and carefully applied fabric tape to the mating surfaces. This reduced the creaking by about 70%. Not much can be done with the fake carbon fiber insert since it's installed with what looks like plastic rivets with melted heads. After reinstalling the door card, the squeaks are gone.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I only applied it inside the felt. Nowhere else.

I had tried Gummi Pledge initially on other rubber seals but it didn’t make much difference. Focus on Krytox in the flap, Sailkote on the felt.

I’d say there’s probably half the tube left. Hard to say because it’s so light. I didn’t use all of it. Haven’t had to reapply.

Maybe buy 2 from Amazon. That will get you the free shipping. Return one of not needed. Just an idea.
Finally had the chance to apply Krytox inside the door flap. I decided to just use Krytox this time (instead of Sailkote) and I'm sad to report it didn't make any difference.

So at this point, at least for my car, I'm confident to say the only thing I need is Sailkote. I'm gonna stop applying anything to the flap now.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
o at this point, at least for my car, I'm confident to say the only thing I need is Sailkote. I'm gonna stop applying anything to the flap now.

When I did the fix I did, applying the flexible tubing within the flap where the window is, and doing nothing to the one at the top of the door, this 95% silenced it for me. I only hear it when I'm experiencing a ton of body flex entering parking lots or driveways. I no longer hear it just driving down the road.

For me, there were no lubricants necessary in the end.

I will say that I could push on the window and recreate the creaking noise, and I could tell it was coming from that felt lightly rubbing on the window (I have tint, so I'm not sure if that made it even worse). By inserting the tubing in, there's now much more of a seal between the felt and the window so there's not as much creaking going on because I eliminated the ability for it to move around.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I’m answering my own question here:

I tried the WD-40 dry lubricant from Autozone a couple of days ago and it seems to have done the trick.

Where exactly did you apply this product? I'm going to pickup some from autozone tomorrow and give it a try. My right rear passenger door is driving me nuts. The others all seem okay.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
On the felt portions.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Where exactly did you apply this product? I'm going to pickup some from autozone tomorrow and give it a try. My right rear passenger door is driving me nuts. The others all seem okay.

Once again...wet lube (recommend Krytox GPL-205) INSIDE the door top felt flaps...dry lube (recommend Sailkote) ON-TOP of the same felt flaps.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
No need for wet lube for me, only the dry lube for me.

And that’s good point. I mentioned the same earlier as well. In hindsight, I would have tried the dry lube on its own first. [emoji1303]

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
No need for wet lube for me, only the dry lube for me.

Did you apply the WD-40 dry lubricant inside the flaps or just on top of them? That is what I'm trying to find out. I know people have been putting the wet lube inside.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
ON THE FELT SIDE.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Once again...wet lube (recommend Krytox GPL-205) INSIDE the door top felt flaps...dry lube (recommend Sailkote) ON-TOP of the same felt flaps.

I repeat...

[emoji2371]

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I just run the same Meguiar's G4116 Natural Shine Protectant on the door seals as I use on the dash. I also wipe down the door frames with Meguiar's A3332 Quik Detailer. Two clean surfaces free of dust/grit means quiet doors.