GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

JohnV1

Ready to race!
For the last couple of weeks my GT all of 7 weeks old was developing a really annoying creaking emanating from what I thought were the door cards and/or plastic trim around the doors, particularly when driving over undulating or uneven surfaces. Sounded like sailing in an old galleon ship, it was driving me potty :mad:

I finally traced the noise to nothing more innocuous than the inner rubber door seal chaffing against either the outer rubber seal or part of the frame. All it took to stop the blasted creaking was to feed your fingers in between the seals and splay them out a little more. A little silicone lubricant dabbed on or sprayed helps too.

If anyone else has the same symptoms on their Mk7, take a look at the doors seals as it's a simple fix and saves bugging the dealer who'd be tempted to pull apart the doors.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Very interesting.

May I suggest this product for rubber seals - Einszett Gummi Pfledge I've used it for years, great for all rubber seals, inside or out, keeps them supple.

JohnV1

Ready to race!
Cheers Rob, I'll take a look.

Washed my car today after it had accumulated a months worth of crud. I simply don't have the time or inclination to wash it every week, particularly the high miles I rack up with work. It took very little effort, the mud is more of a film rather than stuck on. The GTechniq finish was superlative, it looks fresh out of the dealership. Just a little C1.5 Silo to top it off (smells nice too). What a quality product :)

I know your feelings on white paintwork but I'm finding it 10 times easier to maintain than my old Deep Pearl Black Mk6.

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Cheers Rob, I'll take a look.

Washed my car today after it had accumulated a months worth of crud. I simply don't have the time or inclination to wash it every week, particularly the high miles I rack up with work. It took very little effort, the mud is more of a film rather than stuck on. The GTechniq finish was superlative, it looks fresh out of the dealership. Just a little C1.5 Silo to top it off (smells nice too). What a quality product :)

I know your feelings on white paintwork but I'm finding it 10 times easier to maintain than my old Deep Pearl Black Mk6.

Gummi Pfledge is a brilliant product, I suggest using it on all the rubber seals - doors, windows, under the bonnet, everywhere. I also user screen-wash concentrates from the same company, best I've ever come across, trust the Germans.

Don't get me wrong, I still love white John, but I wanted a lower-maintenance colour this time around. You've done exactly the right thing as the G|Techniq finish makes cleaning so much easier and stops the build-up of dirt in the first place.

I'm planning on the full C1 + EXO treatment on mine, but won't be able to do it until my son is home for a weekend as I'm just not physically able to do it on my own because of arthritis, so I'll put a couple of coats of C2v3 on as soon as I get the car to keep it going.

JohnV1

Ready to race!
Hi JohnV,

Any pictures to point to exact location of this seal? Cheers

A couple of photo's of the top of the driver's side door. Apologies for the dreadful focusing of my camera but you can see the double rubber seal and where I've splayed them out.

That's all it is - just the action of the inner seal rubbing against the outer seal makes the doors creak like the Mary Rose. The Mk7 fit and finish is top notch but the creaky doors let it down. I'm relieved it's a piece of cake to remedy such an aggravating annoyance. Use your fingers, silicone spray or Rob's suggestion for rubber seal lubricant.

Attachments

• Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 24,004
  • Capture6a.JPG
    Capture6a.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 23,430

lawrie1

Ready to race!
Am I correct in thinking it is this gap you lubricate?
I have had creaks etc but assumed the source was between the door and body.
Never thought it could be in the area indicated.
Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• creak.jpg
    creak.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 21,966

marvin1

Ready to race!
We MK6 owners have/had this problem and ultimately fixed it for most of the time by laying lengths of 1/4" OD flexible tubing along that gap formed when parting the door seal.
I cannot believe that VW didn't address this problem for their new Golf and that it still exists on this expensive car - it's simplly not good enough to be honest with you.
All my doors have been 'tubed' with black tubing bought from a local Garden Centre. Believe tubing was meant for irrigation or I may have seen it in the Aquarium department.
I would/will be very miffed if my new Golf, should I ever get one, has to be so modified like my MK6.

JohnV1

Ready to race!
Am I correct in thinking it is this gap you lubricate?
I have had creaks etc but assumed the source was between the door and body.
Never thought it could be in the area indicated.
Thanks for the info.

Yep, apply a lubricant on the inner seal (nearest the car interior).

Marvin's suggestion is a good one too. Anything to keep the 2 rubber seals apart will solve it. It's irritating as hell and VW haven't addressed it since the Mk6. Grrr!

A simple solution and the cabin is back to being as quiet as a church mouse and a pleasure to drive again :)

JohnV1

Ready to race!
We MK6 owners have/had this problem and ultimately fixed it for most of the time by laying lengths of 1/4" OD flexible tubing along that gap formed when parting the door seal.
I cannot believe that VW didn't address this problem for their new Golf and that it still exists on this expensive car - it's simplly not good enough to be honest with you.
All my doors have been 'tubed' with black tubing bought from a local Garden Centre. Believe tubing was meant for irrigation or I may have seen it in the Aquarium department.
I would/will be very miffed if my new Golf, should I ever get one, has to be so modified like my MK6.

Marvin, it's really lame of VW, they've left the same quality problem on 2 versions of the same car and I've experienced it with the current and previous model. There's no way that we were just a handful of owners that experienced this noise. Ok, so it's not a mechanical or component failure but it's the sort of noise that's really distracting after just a few weeks of ownership. I felt like pounding the door cards with my fist to get it stop before figuring it out.

gtiw7

Ready to race!
thanks for the pic, wil try it out! is WD40 any good for lubrication?? sorry not that much knowledgeable about lubricating things :eek:

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Don't use WD40, terrible stuff, it'll attract moisture among other things. Try to locate the product I mentioned above, failing that use some sort of silicon-based product.