GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bi-xenon headights

Stripey

Ready to race!
I have the factory fitted bi-xenon headlights with my golf. Just wondering if anyone else has them & also gets flashed by loads of oncoming cars who clearly think i have full beam on when they are just on dipped?! They are pretty bright to be fair & do seem to shine quite high but was wondering if that was normal? As i understood it, 'proper' bi-xenon headlights are self levelling - which mine appear to be. Cheers :)

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Have you checked the travel mode setting via the infotainment system.
If that is on the wrong setting it will dazzle .

Stripey

Ready to race!
Please could you explain what this is? I dont recall seeing an option in the menu, even under 'lights' that could alter the headlights.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
You can alter the Xenons from right hand drive to left hand drive or vice versa.
Go into the menu via the CAR button. (Page 110 /Page 31 of manual )
Worth checking in case its set on wrong side which will dazzle.

Otherwise need to get dealer to check it out for adjustment

Last edited:

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Can you also change non-zenons to lhd?

No pretty sure with Halogen lights you would still have to use a masking stencil applied to the Lamp lens for this purpose.
The lens normally has a line marker for placement of the mask or they used to have.

paddypool

Ready to race!
I have the factory fitted bi-xenon headlights with my golf. Just wondering if anyone else has them & also gets flashed by loads of oncoming cars who clearly think i have full beam on when they are just on dipped?! They are pretty bright to be fair & do seem to shine quite high but was wondering if that was normal? As i understood it, 'proper' bi-xenon headlights are self levelling - which mine appear to be. Cheers :)

are these the auto dip lights you have?
I'm toying with the idea of getting Dynamic Light Assist...
>would you say the lighting from the bi-xenon lights are say 50% better than normal lights.?..

Stripey

Ready to race!
I dont think they are auto dip.....i have to manually put them in & out of full beam, if thats what you mean.

And I'm not sure the issue is the lhd/rhd thing. It seems to me (coming from having only halogen lights on previous cars) that the horizontal upper line of the beam (on dipped) seems quite high. E.g. i can see that the light is shining into the rear view mirrors of cars in front. It is a very well defined 'line' of light with these headlights & it just seems to be rather high.

Think i'll take it to the dealer & ask.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Oh, and in terms of 'are they better'? Hell yeah! But maybe thats because they point up too much & light up loads of the road ahead!?

evilangelic

I always got flashed driving 2010 Audi A4 with Xenons, the line was high the same way you describe on dipped, even adjusting the height to its lowest setting... The things are great but not when visibility is decreased by other road users trying to blind you in return :/

Stripey

Ready to race!
BTW.....i checked the light setting & it was on 'l/h traffic' which is for driving on the left i.e in the UK - as opposed to it being l/h drive. So it appears to be set up correctly but just is shining too high.

Stripey

Ready to race!
So I finally got round to taking the car in to the dealer today. Apparently the self levelling system wasnt working so they 'reset basic settings'. They say it should be fine now but said this should've been checked before it was delivered.

Hello_Mr_Mo

Passed Driver's Ed
So I finally got round to taking the car in to the dealer today. Apparently the self levelling system wasnt working so they 'reset basic settings'. They say it should be fine now but said this should've been checked before it was delivered.

Hey Stripey, let me know if it feels any better and if you still get blinded by other drivers. I upgraded to the Bi-Xenons and really looking forward to having them for the first time too. PS - is I easy to reset to the basic settings or can only the dealer do this? Might have to check with my dealer to see if the self levelling has been done when I hope to pick up within next couple of weeks.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Will let you know if its any better in a few days when I'm out in the dark again. As far as I'm aware, tinkering with these lights can only be done by the dealer. :)