GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW announces Golf MKVII's five engines and new equipment

Hooklyn

Banned
Just so we are clear the 2.5 is getting replaced by the 1.8T in ALL NA VW's in the next 12-18 months. Not just Golf but Beetle, Jetta, and Passat as well.

The 2.5 is pretty dated by today's standards. The 1.8T is a MUCH better motor.

Hooklyn

Banned
That 1.8t with the APR K04 kit, is a nice little bargain.

Even just a tune on the 1.8T motor will get you close to MKVI 2.0T numbers... And with the 200+ lbs less weight it would actually be a good match.

160hp/184lb-ft and 2,700 lbs = 16.875 lbs/hp
200hp/207lb-ft and 3,100 lbs = 15.5 lbs/hp

Not too bad all things considered (40+mpg and the cost and whatnot).

APR Tune on the 1.8T bumps power to 185hp and 220 lb-ft.

DAS_STIG

Banned
C4L... coming in with the math no one asked for, yet again.

Hooklyn

Banned
C4L... coming in with the math no one asked for, yet again.

Does that make it any less true or relevant? It is both true and relevant, even if JUST YOU think otherwise. You aren't the only member on this board...

I like facts. Not hearsay.:)

DAS_STIG

Banned
Does that make it any less true or relevant? It is both true and relevant, even if JUST YOU think otherwise. You aren't the only member on this board...

I like facts. Not hearsay.:)

it makes it no less true, but it does make it less relevant.

Hooklyn

Banned
it makes it no less true, but it does make it less relevant.

The title of the thread is 'VW announces Golf MKVII's five engines...'

Talking about one of those engines (the US-Spec one), in the context of the other known specs of the car (weight in this case), and comparing them to the current generation of the same car (MKVI GTI) is 100% relevant.;)

I guess I wasn't aware there was such a thing as TOO much information.

DAS_STIG

Banned
The title of the thread is 'VW announces Golf MKVII's five engines...'

Talking about one of those engines (the US-Spec one), in the context of the other known specs of the car (weight in this case), and comparing them to the current generation of the same car (MKVI GTI) is 100% relevant.;)

not in the context of the post you were replying to.

Hooklyn

Banned
not in the context of the post you were replying to.

I replied to a comment about the 1.8T and its modifying potential.

Here is the train of thought sinse you can't seem to see it (and for some reason think it requires explanation);

1 - 1.8T power-to-weight ratio in base form shows the starting point for the motor when used in the new (and lighter) MKVII application.

2 - Comparing said power-to-weight ratio to the MKVI GTI provides a basis of known performance metrics in which to compare the new MKVII 1.8T to.

3 - Then applying the existing and known most basic modification for the 1.8T motor offered by the largest VAG aftermarket performance tuner evidences the potential of that motor. Which is what the comment was in reply to.

And I am now just confused as to why you have a problem with any of this...

DAS_STIG

Banned
I replied to a comment about the 1.8T and its modifying potential.

Here is the train of thought sinse you can't seem to see it (and for some reason think it requires explanation);

1 - 1.8T power-to-weight ratio in base form shows the starting point for the motor when used in the new (and lighter) MKVII application.

2 - Comparing said power-to-weight ratio to the MKVI GTI provides a basis of known performance metrics in which to compare the new MKVII 1.8T to.

3 - Then applying the existing and known most basic modification for the 1.8T motor offered by the largest VAG aftermarket performance tuner evidences the potential of that motor. Which is what the comment was in reply to.

And I am now just confused as to why you have a problem with any of this...

tl:dr

1. that poster was talking about k04, not overall tuning potential

2. you ASSUME i think it requires explanation.

3. do you know the gearing of the new 1.8T transmission? do you know the power curve? will be identical to the old 1.8T? your numbers don't mean anything without more information.

4. #3... no.

5. just because it's you. <3

Hooklyn

Banned
tl:dr

1. that poster was talking about k04, not overall tuning potential

2. you ASSUME i think it requires explanation.

3. do you know the gearing of the new 1.8T transmission? do you know the power curve? will be identical to the old 1.8T? your numbers don't mean anything without more information.

4. #3... no.

5. just because it's you. <3

1 - That poster was referencing an aftermarket turbo which is K04 in this application. They don't offer a K04 turbo from the factory for the 1.8T motor. It would HAVE to be an aftermarket application.

2 - You inquired about my VERY basic response. Which wasn't even to you btw. You obviously didn't understand something...

3 - It was a super high level comparison given what we do know. As you can see I didn't include the extra figures for the 2.0T either. Once we know more, I will gladly elaborate further. Though we do know plenty about the 1.8T motor and the transmissions. My numbers mean exactly what they say. VERY straightforward in fact.

4 - It specifically evidences both the tuning potential and predicted performance figures for the 1.8T. That is exactly what my post was about.

5 - THIS is ALL your comment has to do with...

I have no idea what your issue is. I compared a predicted power-to-weight ratio in an engine thread to a known power-to-weight ratio of the same car. Why is this a problem? What are you trying to prove? What is the goal of your contestation?

DAS_STIG

Banned
1 - That poster was referencing an aftermarket turbo which is K04 in this application. They don't offer a K04 turbo from the factory for the 1.8T motor. It would HAVE to be an aftermarket application.

2 - You inquired about my VERY basic response. Which wasn't even to you btw. You obviously didn't understand something...

3 - It was a super high level comparison given what we do know. As you can see I didn't include the extra figures for the 2.0T either. Once we know more, I will gladly elaborate further.

4 - It specifically evidences both the tuning potential and predicted performance figures for the 1.8T. That is exactly what my post was about.

5 - THIS is ALL your comment has to do with...

1. yeah... k04. not other tunes.

2. i didn't inquire about anything. i stated something.

3. please no.

4. i see no performance figures discussed.

5. no.

Hooklyn

Banned
1. yeah... k04. not other tunes.

2. i didn't inquire about anything. i stated something.

3. please no.

4. i see no performance figures discussed.

5. no.

1 - We don't have any metrics for K04 1.8T motors. We DO have metrics for Stage 1 Tunes on 1.8T motors. Most people aren't interested in $3k-$4k upgrades on a $20k car. $600 for APR's Stage 1 software is VERY relevant in the world of tuning VAG turbo motors. Especially considering it would be required for a K04 car too...
2 - Stating they were irrelevant evidenced a lack of understanding as to their relevance...
3 - I provide fact-based context and I know a GREAT DEAL about the subject. I don't care what you have to say about it, which is next to nothing...
4 - Power-to-weight ratio is a performance-based figure. Do you not know the performacne of the MKVI GTI? Probably not...
5 - Words of your own, not mine...

If you see no value in the information I convey here, then just disregard and/or don't comment. "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." Or are you not even old enough for your mother to have taught you that yet...

I shared NO opinion and no bias but just facts. Still not sure what your deal is? Unless you are just intentionally starting something...:rolleyes:

Now, either talk about the motors for the MKVII Golf (as I have) or don't talk at all. You are detracting from the merit of this thread which was created to talk about the new motors for the new Golf.

DAS_STIG

Banned
1 - We don't have any metrics for K04 1.8T motors. We DO have metrics for Stage 1 Tunes on 1.8T motors. Most people aren't interested in $3k-$4k upgrades on a $20k car. $600 for APR's Stage 1 software is VERY relevant in the world of tuning VAG turbo motors. Especially considering it would be required for a K04 car too...
2 - Stating they were irrelevant evidenced a lack of understanding as to their relevance...
3 - I provide fact-based context and I know a GREAT DEAL about the subject. I don't care what you have to say about it, which is next to nothing...
4 - Power-to-weight ratio is a performance-based figure. Do you not know the performacne of the MKVI GTI? Probably not...
5 - Words of your own, not mine...

If you see no value in the information I convey here, then just disregard and/or don't comment. "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." Or are you not even old enough for your mother to have taught you that yet...

I shared NO opinion and no bias but just facts. Still not sure what your deal is? Unless you are just intentionally starting something...:rolleyes:

Now, either talk about the motors for the MKVII Golf (as I have) or don't talk at all. You are detracting from the merit of this thread which was created to talk about the new motors for the new Golf.

1. APR already has info for the new 1.8T stage 1 tune?

2. i never said they were irrelevant. you really do like to put words into other peoples' mouths eh?

3. do you now?

4. power to weight is performance related, not performance based.

5. no.

6. bringing my mother into this, classy.

7. where did we get numbers of 160/184 for the 1.8T?