GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Nice setup man! Have fun on the trails!

Took me a while to scroll through the million pics from dbestgti, do we really need to post that many? Looks like awesome trails but damn 5-10 pictures would get the job done.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!

Here's my setup and picture from this weekend and Highland Mountain Bike Park:

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Trails were dry this weekend!

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2011 DBP GTI DSG
The things i would do to be near natural terrain that isnt flat and doesnt have xc racers all over it....

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Did some trailwork on my local DH trails in Rochester...The dirt is very sandy which makes for super easy building and it dries out super fast. You can literally ride after a rain storm.

This is a pretty decent sized step up, the landing is just above my bike.

One of the jumps in the rhythm section needed some love

Fun little section of trail where two lines meet.

Bridge jump after the rhythm section.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Well my 4th of July race didn't happen. Part of the reason we signed up for that specific race is because they have a no questions asked refund/cancellation policy. We signed up with about 2 months to train. It rained every day for a month (which is NOT normal here), then we had in-laws in town for a week, the day they left I had a mountain bike crash and it took a couple weeks for the skin to grow back and the scabs to stop bleeding. We were not prepared for a race that hard. I wanted to change it and do the relay (we each do one loop) but my wife wasn't feeling ready for it so we cancelled and got a refund.

Since our calendar opened up for the 4th of July my wife and I decided we'd spend the day getting high.

We road single track on the Colorado Trail from the top of the Kenosha Pass up through the Pike National Forest until we got above tree line. We topped out at the 12,000 foot summit where the Colorado Trail meets the Georgia Pass. Then we took the Jefferson Trail back down. The temp was in the 90's at home and we got to play in the snow in the high country. It was hot and sunny, and cold and windy, there were stream crossings, snow fields, and it was hard to breath. The trail wasn't overly technical or overly steep but the combination of the two that made it a hard ride, then you add in the altitude and it ended one of, if not the most, physically demanding rides I've ever done. For only being a 23 mile ride with 3,800 feet of elevation gain I was completely wiped. I didn't eat as much as I should have and I was hurting pretty bad and starting to bonk around mile 20. It probably didn't help that I was physically hurting after an incident with a tree. A random branch poked straight into one of the vents on my helmet and the chin strap grabbed me around the throat. I was brought to a dead stop by my head. I can't say that has ever happened to me before, luckily it was on a climb so I wasn't going all that fast but I felt that one in my neck and upper back none the less. Overall it was a pretty epic ride

Tearing through the Aspens.

The first preview of whats to come.

The trees are starting to get thin, so is the air.

First sign of snow.

My Devinci cooling off in the snow while I took in the view.

Above the tree line.

Trying to catch our breath while taking in the views and grabbing a bite to eat, it was cold up there and the air was thin.

Back down into the forest.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It's not quite a mountain bike ride but it was a bike ride on a mountain...

My wife and I took our bikes with the lowest gearing (I took my cyclocross bike and she took her carbon hardtail - both are 3x10) and we did the Mount Evans road ride today. We parked off the main road at Echo Lake where Mount Evans Road starts. We started from 10,600 feet and started climbing. We started in shorts and t-shirts, the higher up you got the colder it got. Breathing started to become pretty taxing around 13,250-13,500 feet. We kept adding clothes as we went. I was in thick wool socks, a winter hat under my helmet, coat, gloves, and my fingers were still numb - it was cold and windy. Having to breath that heavy up that high I had to curl my lips around my teeth at times because the cold air literally hurt when you're huffing and puffing like that. It started to snow on us but it only lasted for 10-15 minutes. The road is under construction where they are reinforcing, rebuilding, and repaving a cliff edge so the entire road was closed to cars. Other than the shit loads of mountain goats we saw and a handful of other bikers we pretty much had the mountain to ourselves. We hit the turn around on the highest paved road in North America at the 14,130 foot summit . It's pretty insane being thousands of feet above tree line.

Starting at Echo Lake, heading to the peak in the clearing

Getting up there

There's tree line

Grinding away

That's a lot of snow in July

Summit Lake

Still climbing

Everything looks epic above treeline

It was cold by this point

Mountain goats

You're way the hell up there