GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SD cards

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
So, although my car is a long wait away, I know it supports SD cards, I trust 32gb is plenty ample, what are the pro's/con's vs using say an ipod touch in the car?

Stripey

Ready to race!
I personally have both (although hardly use either because with a DAB radio there is plenty of choice!). The only benefit I could notice over using SD card is that its less likely to be stolen than an iPod and it frees up space in the little box where the iPod connector is if you don't need the iPod. Other than that, sound quality, or accessing music, playlists etc there is no difference.

Personally, if I had neither to start with, I'd buy an SD card just because they're cheaper than an iPod if it was only going to be used for music in the car.

burso

Ready to race!
I found that USB sticks are even cheaper than SD cards. Anyone got experience with USB used as a music player? sorry for going off topic a bit

Boggle

I found that USB sticks are even cheaper than SD cards. Anyone got experience with USB used as a music player? sorry for going off topic a bit

USB works fine with the MDI-USB cable. I tried both USB sticks and self-powered hard drives without any issues. Having said that, I reverted and bought a 32Gb SD card as it's the neatest solution.

burso

Ready to race!
sorry for the silly question, but isn't there a USB port on the centre console where I could simply insert my USB key? I was under the impression there is no need for cables.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Mine came (and maybe all do?) with an ipod connector as standard (I dont remember an option to choose what connection you wanted). You can change this though for a USB connector either by speaking nicely to your dealer for a swap, or buying the required cable from VW. There are some posts somewhere on this forum with more detail.

I would have preferred a USB as standard as any device can then connect to that, including ipods/iphones. But then thats typical German car manufacturers for you, charging for every tiny extra thing!

NightBlue

According to the manual, the limits are just those of the various card specifications, i.e.
SD 2GB
SDHC 32GB
SDXC 2TB

Supported card formats are FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and vFAT

File formats supported are claimed to be:
.mp3 up to 320kbits
.wma up to 9.2 mono/stereo without copy protection
.aac files [bitrate not specified]
File names and paths less than 256 characters
I couldn't get lossless files to work.

Vic Watson

SD cards are definitely the way forward. I have my i-tunes collection complete with album artwork on a 64Gb card. Safe, secure and no moving parts to get jiggled about! - Brilliant!!