GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radar sensor delete

martymim

Ready to race!
Heres one to get people divided.

The EU MK7 GTI's come with a radar sensor for braking and cruse control but its a massive eye sore.

Has anyone tried unplugging it and seeing if it is still operational so I could swap out the grill for the US one?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Heres one to get people divided.

The EU MK7 GTI's come with a radar sensor for braking and cruse control but its a massive eye sore.

Has anyone tried unplugging it and seeing if it is still operational so I could swap out the grill for the US one?

heh heh , it's a wonder anybody here even buys a MK7, judging on some of the threads, collectively there are enough eye sores problems etc with the vehicle, why choose it over many other cars available?
Personally I don't find the sensor an eye sore .

I'm not sure why you feel unplugging it would still leave it active, as after all it wouldn't be required in the 1st place.
I don't think the Cruise control would work at all if the sensor is disconnected.

martymim

Ready to race!
heh heh , it's a wonder anybody here even buys a MK7, judging on some of the threads, collectively there are enough eye sores problems etc with the vehicle, why choose it over many other cars available?
Personally I don't find the sensor an eye sore .

I'm not sure why you feel unplugging it would still leave it active, as after all it wouldn't be required in the 1st place.
I don't think the Cruise control would work at all if the sensor is disconnected.

Fair point, I just thought it would trow loads of codes?
Cheers dude

kevinm1

Ready to race!
I'd say you would need a lot of vcds coding to remove it successfully.

btw, you dont need a US grill. The radar is optional in southern Ireland so thy come with the grill minus hole as standard.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Fair point, I just thought it would trow loads of codes?
Cheers dude

In the past I have had sensor inactive or such like after being behind a soot chucker, I would imagine that is what would display.
As the other poster suggests though, perhaps it can be disabled from the reporting system and the regular cruise activated.

mbfos

It will DEFINITELY affect your insurance if you are registered in the UK. The mark 7 GTI is rated five insurance groups lower than the previous Mk6 Golf GTI mostly because of the radar system preventing front end collisions.

martymim

Ready to race!
I'd say you would need a lot of vcds coding to remove it successfully.

btw, you dont need a US grill. The radar is optional in southern Ireland so thy come with the grill minus hole as standard.

Never thought of Ireland haha.
I have a feeling it will throw codes :/