GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Phone/MDI fun...

sharkshark1

Hello there - just signed up in order to play in this playground. Ended my 2011 GTI lease early to pick up my snazzy new 2015 - have yet to drive it for more than a few KM, but so far a slew of "pet peaves" about the 2011 are fixed. First, Nav is SUPER quick in comparison, a huge improvement. I like the pedal setup, the ergo of the dash, etc. I especially =love= that they moved the damn talk button from the left side of the steering wheel - I'd hit that damn thing whenever backing into a spot, as it was the perfect place to use your palm to crank the wheel.

Still, there's still some funky stuff to worry about, and figure I'd try the experts here.

- For those who haven't tried it yet, the USB MDI cable from the previous gen still works fine for USB drives. I have a 750gb unit in an enclosure, storing my silly slew of music. On my 2011 it was working pretty well with a USB3 box (type-A to type-A, because the USB3 micro cable is =goddamn awful=... but I digress). I could get it to "light up" with some fiddling in the 2015, but it was hardly consistent, and every time I'd restart the car it'd be searching forever for the device. Threw the drive into an older USB2 enclosure and it seems to be working as expected - super fast navigation of my 90,000 or so songs, including cover art. It's the 90s at last!

- For no good reason Traffic isn't enabled, even though my 3 month free subscription of XM is operational. I'll call and get that sorted, if it even works in Canada.

- This is the big one - voice commands seem a step backwards, if that's even possible. Super happy to see that I can change prompt level, but the simplest command (say, "Call Smith, John, Mobile") doesn't work. I'll occasionally get the list of the contact with all of his numbers, but setting mobile doesn't work. When I do manually select, it's saying "calling Smith, John Other mobile", even if on the screen it's listed as "cell".

The phone is a Blackberry Z10, no idea if that's the issue or not, that it's somehow storing the contacts in a way that VW is simply not happy with. Annoying if that's the case, especially as it's clear it's at least reading the data. Not that the contact in question was not storing the mobile in any other way than standard, and all contacts are sync'd from Google.

So, anybody else have a bit of a hellish time with the Voice command? Even simple things ("call number") have it doing something weird and not what I asked. Amusingly, at one point I got yelled at ("please use a quieter voice") when it became clear that things weren't working. Note that I'm doing this testing from a parked car in my driveway, there is no circumstance that will be easier for comprehension.

Lots more to explore, but if anyone has any advice, different commands to use (on my 2011 I had to say it like "moe-bile" (like "dial") instead of "moe-bill", as per my outrageous CDN accent), I'd be happy to hear about it.

cheers

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Hello there - just signed up in order to play in this playground. Ended my 2011 GTI lease early to pick up my snazzy new 2015 - have yet to drive it for more than a few KM, but so far a slew of "pet peaves" about the 2011 are fixed. First,

Lots more to explore, but if anyone has any advice, different commands to use (on my 2011 I had to say it like "moe-bile" (like "dial") instead of "moe-bill", as per my outrageous CDN accent), I'd be happy to hear about it.

cheers

It is a mo BILE not mo BILL, there is a help function that goes through the available commands.
You can swap the order of name eg Mike Jones instead of Jones Mike, then the display will alert to multiple entries and you can choose the relevant one.

sharkshark1

It is a mo BILE not mo BILL, there is a help function that goes through the available commands.
You can swap the order of name eg Mike Jones instead of Jones Mike, then the display will alert to multiple entries and you can choose the relevant one.

Yup, that's what I'm saying, I've been conditioned to do that from my 2011...

I say "call smith john mobile" and it either doesn't recognize, or dials the home number.

Saw the option to switch between first and last name sorting, a nice touch... Tried both ways, still no go.

Again, could it be something funky with the Blackberry's sorting of this stuff? Anyone else actually have a Z10 hooked up to this (brand new) car?

As for the HD, the USB has been a bit more flaky, but it's working far better than with the USB3 enclosure. On initial start it sometimes seems to reset itself (rather than, say, playback where it was), starting up again with first track in first folder.

Great news however is that nav is butter like, a gazzilion fold improvement over the previous version. So, yay.

Actually found the subwoofer control today, funny to see the fender logo printed on a piece of plastic atop my spare tire.

sharkshark1

...nobody else having a hell of a time getting voice recognition to work? It's basically unusable for me now, definitely not safe and a step back from the MK6 on that front.

Marissa

I pick up my GTD on Wednesday and if I have issues with my Z10, I will be upset. :(

However things turn out, I will let you know how usable voice recognition is.

sharkshark1

...still having loads of issues with recognition... The video above shows how damn slow it is (far slower than my 2011). I've had Bluetooth randomly disconnect mid-call a few times as well.

If you put in the request with the number type (aka, "mobile") it doesn't work. Just name, and you get the list of numbers, sometimes, which allows you to pick. Naturally, this is distracting, rather than just a voice prompt, causing you to look away from the road. Not idea.

Plus, names that had no issue with the 2011 now aren't understood at all.

The USB drive is still pretty annoying at times - about 1/4 the time I have to unplug and replug in the USB cable, and then everything boots to the first song on the drive.

On the positive front, the thing is a breeze to navigate with both touch and the dial, super fast through my large (90,000 track) library.

On nav, I'm finding that it's fickle about when to actually display street names based on zoom. I'm also missing the turn-by-turn preview that we used to get, now there's just an indication when you're approaching the turn, not a full route. That might be in there somewhere and I haven't spotted it, but it used to be as simple as making the second screen on the left the route in question (not an option now, just the arrow showing direction)

Oh, and as a car? The thing's amazing... :)

Russkiya

Passed Driver's Ed
On nav, I'm finding that it's fickle about when to actually display street names based on zoom. I'm also missing the turn-by-turn preview that we used to get, now there's just an indication when you're approaching the turn, not a full route. That might be in there somewhere and I haven't spotted it, but it used to be as simple as making the second screen on the left the route in question (not an option now, just the arrow showing direction)

On the Discover Pro:-When in Nav mode, try pressing the Nav button again to display the route.
Their is a window pop-up that you can press the down arrow on and choose different view options such as signs, audio,satellite data, etc.

Hope that all makes sense.

sharkshark1

...I can only see the big arrow, not a step-by-step route... I'll play with it, to see if there's another option that's less obvious. Used to be essentially an itemized list of every turn upcoming in text form.