GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound System

nuclearpenguin

Has anyone here fitted a new sound system to their golf ?

I would like to fit one myself but could do with some specs eg does the head unit have rca's for an amp etc

Also can you buy the plug and play direct as I have a company car and dont need vw telling anyone .

RichieRich1

The golf head units don't come with RCA's

You can purchase PnP sound system direct and install your self however you will have to take the car to VW to have the correct DSP settings loaded onto the PnP sound system.
When I was looking into install one none of the dealers I contacted had the correct tool to do this and weren't interested in purchasing the tool for a once off job.

You used to be able to get the PnP system with the correct DSP setting preloaded but they are no longer available.They all come preloaded for a Polo 6R.

I ended up going for a Match PP52DSP and Match PP7S-D made by Audiotech Fischer.
They make the VW PnP system so it is essentially the same sub,amp and DSP.

The big difference is the PP52DSP you can program the DSP yourself by either downloading the setting from their website or by programming your own setting using a laptop and some sound testing equipment.I personally just downloaded the settings.The other difference is you can move the system different brand of car and just program it for that particular car.the PP52DSP also has RCA output's on it so you can add more bigger sound and still benefit of the use of a full DSP.

nuclearpenguin

The PP52dsp is expensive though . The last sound system I fit was about 5 yrs ago so not clued up on these dsp thingies ? are they an amp with something else added ?

thanks for reply

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
The PP52dsp is expensive though . The last sound system I fit was about 5 yrs ago so not clued up on these dsp thingies ? are they an amp with something else added ?

thanks for reply

They maybe expensive at 1st sight, but if you have fitted systems in the past, then I'm sure you agree, you cannot fit an upgrade of similar quality for the same price.

Finepics

Ready to race!
I also have the Match PP52DSP and PP7S-D fitted. I had my own Macrom component front speakers from my previous car fitted in the front doors and the tweeters fitted in the factory windscreen pillar position so nothing has visibly changed.

My previous set up was the well respected old US made Soundstream amp and a seriously kicking Phoenix Gold Sub but this time I didn't want to have a huge sub cabinet taking up most of the boot. Whilst the PP7S-D bass isn't comparable to the Phoenix Gold it is good enough that I'm happy with the decision and the windscreen tweeter position gives an amazingly good soundstage.

My car has the lower level Composition Color touch head unit so doesn't get USB or iPod connections so the dealer fitted an aux in cable to the DSP unit but this is the only thing I don't use since there is terrible high end distortion from that and I get much better sound from the standard head unit aux in. The other thing is that for my head unit the recommended harness didn't fit and the dealer discovered that a harness meant for Audi did fit luckily!!