GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Satnav help...

Mrdross

Just tried to use my satnav for the first time and after entering the post code a message appeared stating that 'no street data was available for the entered post code' or words to that effect! Checked the code on Google maps and up popped the correct street, no problem. Then decided to enter my own post code and again the same message came up - despite the car being in the road of the post code!!! Any ideas before I go down to my local dealers tomorrow.....so frustrating:mad:

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
I get that message on mine. From what I can gather it means you can't enter a house number to go with the post code like you could on a Garmin or TomTom. It does, on mine at least, enable you to navigate to the road using the post code.

Mrdross

Thanks for the reply but I don't even get a ROAD, let alone a house number to enter! So for example when I enter a Essex postcode like IG3 all It returns is the fact that it is a Dagenham code but states it can not find any street data. Surely that can't be right, it should at the least display the street name which as you say allows you be get to the street, if not the exact number - though to me that still seems wrong! Will be off to the dealers tomorrow to see what they've got say...

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Just tried to use my satnav for the first time and after entering the post code a message appeared stating that 'no street data was available for the entered post code' or words to that effect! Checked the code on Google maps and up popped the correct street, no problem. Then decided to enter my own post code and again the same message came up - despite the car being in the road of the post code!!! Any ideas before I go down to my local dealers tomorrow.....so frustrating:mad:

You will get that message, and when confirmed it will say "navigate to the centre of...." just confirm and it will direct you to the correct place, post codes cover a smallish area, so you will only be a few doors away at most.

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
You will get that message, and when confirmed it will say "navigate to the centre of...." just confirm and it will direct you to the correct place, post codes cover a smallish area, so you will only be a few doors away at most.

Avanti is correct. I agree it is slightly concerning to see the message but it does take you to the correct place.

Mrdross

Gents, thanks for the replies, and so to confirm yes I'm using the full post code and when I press OK the address screen displays the code and associated borough but the street line is blank. From what you're saying then if I press the start button it will then calculate the route with options and take me to the correct road? Hmmmm.....:confused: not really convinced but I will give it a go this morning to my work and see how I get on. If you are correct ( and I've no reason to doubt you helpful chaps) I won't be happy at having to pay the extra for a nav system that doesn't enable you to put in street names. Is this the case for the even more expensive Discover Nav system? My old RNS510 didn't behave this way so I will see this as a reduction functionality for a unit that costs more...:mad:

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
Good luck this morning. Yes, you can put in town, street, house number manually if you don't have the postcode. And it gets you to the right place. The post code method works just as well, but it doesn't allow you to put the house number in as the final step and it has that confusing message as well. Let us know how you get on...

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Gents, thanks for the replies, and so to confirm yes I'm using the full post code and when I press OK the address screen displays the code and associated borough but the street line is blank. From what you're saying then if I press the start button it will then calculate the route with options and take me to the correct road? Hmmmm.....:confused: not really convinced but I will give it a go this morning to my work and see how I get on. If you are correct ( and I've no reason to doubt you helpful chaps) I won't be happy at having to pay the extra for a nav system that doesn't enable you to put in street names. Is this the case for the even more expensive Discover Nav system? My old RNS510 didn't behave this way so I will see this as a reduction functionality for a unit that costs more...:mad:

You certainly can enter street names premise numbers and junctions, the usual question is how to enter a postcode, postcodes will not cover 2 streets, so it will get you there, I have a video some where of the voice control working the satnav, it gets you to the destination.

Mrdross

Managed to get there in the end albeit to me by a very convoluted way! So the address I was after was IG3 9PF and street name Kilmartin Rd in Ilford. And no matter how I entered the post code be it 2,3,4 or in full it would not allow me to enter the street name. The way I eventually got the address in there was to type in the town name e.g. Ilford and only at that point did it allow me to type in the street name followed by the actual house number:confused: Does that sound right? And for other addresses I managed to get the street name listed by using the first few digits of the code but for some reason it didn't like the Essex IG3 code ...which as a South London boy I guess is fair enough...:p:p

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Managed to get there in the end albeit to me by a very convoluted way! So the address I was after was IG3 9PF and street name Kilmartin Rd in Ilford. And no matter how I entered the post code be it 2,3,4 or in full it would not allow me to enter the street name. The way I eventually got the address in there was to type in the town name e.g. Ilford and only at that point did it allow me to type in the street name followed by the actual house number:confused: Does that sound right? And for other addresses I managed to get the street name listed by using the first few digits of the code but for some reason it didn't like the Essex IG3 code ...which as a South London boy I guess is fair enough...:p:p

There are 3 methods of route calculation, fast , shortest and dynamic( I think) I leave mine on dynamic as it is a mixture of the other 2 and closest to what I would drive had I looked at a map.

IG3 9PF is input as IG39PF but you can enter a destination by town, street , junction or premise number.

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
When I looked at the manual, I thought I saw that dynamic was the most eco route. Also, took me a while, but you are able to set it so it picks one automatically. That way, calculating the route becomes quicker because it only has to work out 1 route!