GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discover Pro Speedcam POI's Nav Companion

AgentFruit

I'm trying to use the VW Nav Companion to sort the PocketGPS speedcamera files prior to uploading onto the Discover Pro, however the Nav Companion isn't accepting any data entered from the file downloads. I've tried .asc and .csv versions. I can't get past the first window when it says "Due to a period of inactivity the user session has ended. Please reload the page to start a new session" as soon as I hit enter.

I'm using Mac OS 10.8.5 and have tried Safari and Firefox.

Any ideas?

mon2s

Ready to race!
I hope someone replies. I'd like to get cameras onto my Discover Pro - it does seem very complicated. Hopefully someone like Pocket GPS World will work an easy way to put their database onto it before too long.

AgentFruit

I don't think Sootchucker actually did it for real - only halfway in anticipation.
I've now succeeded after 24 hours of frustration. I'll post details in the next day or so. It was being a Mac user that made it tiresome, but there are also some key points missing for PC users.

I also managed to get audible alerts working via iPhone and Bluetooth, but they've ceased to work now....tedious. I haven't given up yet.

AgentFruit

Right, here goes. It's a bit long winded but I hope it draws together 24 hours of trawling the internet, trial and plenty of error, and saves others a few hours. These are the Mac instructions….the PC ones are the same, minus the Firefox, CSV filetype and unzipping info. My main issues were Mac incompatibility, and subsequently lack of POI space in the Nav unit.

Mac Users - Use Safari but follow the unzipping instructions on the site
Choose CSV files (I used Navman/Mio CSV)
Untick pMobile files
Select UK Consolidated by type
No voicepack required
Repeat the process but this time select UK speed zoned complete
(This will give you grouped camera types and individually labeled cameras)

Notes: The Discover Pro Nav only allows ten POI’s. If you’ve already used up some POI’s eg with petrol stations you’ll have less space for speedcams, and vice versa. Therefore you need mainly to use consolidated camera types eg Gatso, rather than individual speed cameras eg 30, 40, 50 etc in order to reduce the number of POI’s. It’s worth downloading/uploading all types if you want to have the option to choose at a later date as you can select in the Nav unit – it’ll save having to re-do at a later date - but make sure you have the consolidated groups uploaded.
I've only tested audible alerts with an iPhone - I don't know if it's possible with other smartphones. Input from others appreciated. The app is called CamerAlert so please see if it's available and test.

Download Speedcamera database from PocketGPS (there are others)
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Mac Users - Use Safari but follow the unzipping instructions on the site
Choose CSV files (I used Navman/Mio CSV)
Untick pMobile files
Select UK Consolidated by type
No voicepack required
Repeat the process but this time select UK speed zoned complete
(This will give you grouped camera types and individually labeled cameras)

Using Firefox (not Safari) go to:
http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/ ... mlung.html
Click on the orange button on the right.
The next window is where you upload the files into Nav Companion, screenshot below.

First browse button – choose a CSV file eg Gatso cameras which would be called pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv
Middle box – give it your own POI name eg Gatso
Second browse button – corresponding image file eg pocketgps_uk_gatso.bmp

Work your way through the files until you’ve uploaded all the camera groups and individual types that you might want to use now or in the future.

Click on the orange button at the bottom right of the screen, and keep clicking the bottom right hand buttons (!). It’ll create a folder called Meine_POI_Sammlung which will be zipped in your downloads folder.

Firefox should unzip it automatically, and create a folder containing PersonalPOI and a file called metainfo2.txt

Drag these two items PersonalPOI and metainfo2.txt (not the parent folder) onto a clean SD card.

Now go to your car…….

Keep the ignition on so that the unit doesn’t go into sleep mode.
Main menu – swipe across to set up and select it – insert SD card.
System info – Update Software
It gives you a prompt about POI’s to which you say next.
It takes about 20 seconds to upload.
Message saying system will be restarted – Ok – Now – Restarts
WAIT – It all goes black for about 2 minutes and says Infotainment system is switched off on dashboard.

Now go to Nav…….

POI’s – Other POI’s
Find category
My POI’s…..and you should see your speedcameras

To set up speedcamera POI’s in Nav:

Nav Setup – Map – Select Categories
You can store up to 10 POI’s – a combination of cameras and other POI’s.

To set up audible warnings (this is a workaround, slightly makeshift but better than nothing. It's a work in progress):

Download CamerAlert for iPhone from App Store
Sync it to your PocketGPS account to install the speedcamera database
In Settings – Camera Warnings – Audio Route – Select the Bluetooth icon (far right)

It’s pretty crude, however its alerts play via Bluetooth through the car’s audio, and use the same database as the one you’ve just installed in the Discover Pro. The downside is that it doesn’t know what route you’re on so you get alerts for cameras nearby - the default range therefore needs to be set quite low. I’ve only just started testing this so don’t know how effective it’ll be over longer journeys, but it’s picked up every mobile camera spot in a 10 mile radius where I live. It works when the iPhone is plugged in via USB or unplugged.

Last edited:

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Fantastic! Have downloaded all the free ones I can get my hands on.
Nobody fancies sharing their PGSPW map file do they?
I've found the Nav Companion is slow quite a lot of the time. Just keep trying and at some point it'll work :)
Now overlaying them and hoping that it works. Will try to put them on my car in a fortnight and will let you all know how it goes! Can't wait to go for a drive and see if the map has all the (many, many) ones by me :)

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think my nav pro is UK only when it comes to the maps. (It might have Europe, I'm not sure) so I wonder how it'll react when I put the world speed camera poi data in :S
Hoping it just puts the markers off to the side of the map but only time will tell

AgentFruit

I haven't put Europe or world speed cams in as it's illegal to use them in Europe - if they're programmed into the Nav and you're stopped in France, even if they're not in use, it's a hefty on the spot fine. I'm updating the instructions from time to time so keep an eye on them if you get stuck.

I've got the audible alerts working really well using CamerAlert - it's more accurate than TomTom.

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Knowing the locations of the cameras through a gps satnav only appears to be illegal in France. I'm not really planning a European tour but the free world camera map I found had many more locations for GB than the UK only ones!

AgentFruit

Is that so? Interesting. I'm using the CamerAlert though to get the audible alerts so that's a GPS based database - the PocketGPS website that it sources from carries the warning (along with TomTom etc), so I have to stick to UK only. Good that you've found a free database though!

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
POIplaza has a list of Speed cameras, red light cameras and common mobile camera sites. Can be downloaded in any format which is useful. Has a load of other stuff as well, if you wanted to find a German brothel for example XD If anyone wants to look, the link is:-
POIplaza | Free Points of Interests (POI) for iGO, Garmin, Sygic, TomTom and other popular navigation systems.
If anyone has an up to date PocketGPSWorld database and shares it, that would be greatly appreciated. The latest version I could find was about 3 years old :(

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
I don't think Sootchucker actually did it for real - only halfway in anticipation.
I've now succeeded after 24 hours of frustration. I'll post details in the next day or so. It was being a Mac user that made it tiresome, but there are also some key points missing for PC users.

I also managed to get audible alerts working via iPhone and Bluetooth, but they've ceased to work now....tedious. I haven't given up yet.
Sootchucker did do the POI's/speedcams on his nav pro and posted a full hour to on doing it pottery much what you've just copied for all.

AgentFruit

The only post of his that I found omitted to mention that the Nav only allows 10 POI's (necessitated starting from scratch again), omitted all the information about incompatibility between Mac proprietary browser and VW Nav Companion, incompatibility between most PocketGPS database files and the whole Mac/VW kaboodle. His post was partial info and for PC's - it have me a staring point. It also doesn't mention audible alerts at all, which frankly makes it the while thing obsolete anyway unless you want to drive looking at the Nav instead of the road.

Still, if you're one if those people who want to knock progress then so be it. You sound familiar.

pjr

Ready to race!
If anyone has an up to date PocketGPSWorld database and shares it, that would be greatly appreciated. The latest version I could find was about 3 years old :(

You're unlikely to find anyone who will share a more recent version of the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database as it is copyright protected, and people pay a subscription to use it.

Taken from the PocketGPSWorld website

The Speed Camera Warning Database supplied to you under the terms of the subscription is Copyright PocketGPSWorld.com (for the whole or a part of), all rights reserved Worldwide. You may not copy, share or disseminate the data to other parties other than those as permitted by our subscription terms. We use security methods that allow us to track the Speed Camera Warning Database to a particular download and member. If you breach any of these terms the remainder of your subscription may be forfeited and your membership of the service and our web-site terminated at our discretion.