GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Satnav update, not happy:(

pimm

Ready to race!
I have been very happy with the satnav system in the car, I use it a lot for my deliveries around town so on the display I have it zoomed in to 75 yards so to see every thing I need to, this is my default so never has to adjust it again.

My car went in for a recall and the unit was up dated to 2014 and now I have to zoom in every time I re start the car to 75 yards, it does not stay were I left it like before. I am really annoyed at this up date.

Has anybody else noticed this or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

pimm

Ready to race!
Are you on automatic zoom or manual?

I turned auto off because depending on what it displays it moves in and out on it's own. Manual is were I would touch the screen and zoom in using my fingers on the touch screen and it used to stay in that position but not any more.

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
There seem to be a lot of similar occurences of this lately. Mine goes into the dealer tomorrow to see if it can be sorted by a s/w update. Not holding my breath though! It may come back worse than it went in!!

GP

pimm

Ready to race!
Same happened to me. The software was updated to fix a different fault and it came back with this annoying auto zoom problem. It's going back this week to see if they can fix it. There a few others experiencing this too, detailed here http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2540

Yes thanks Stripey I am not going mad.

See I tend to have the satnav display on but not have a address typed in as I know the area but not the exact location so my 75 yard setting was perfect for me until this bloody up date.

I await to see what others say.:confused:

Golfbald

Passed Driver's Ed
The problem is not recent, as my Sep 2013 version has the same issue. I have found, even with Auto zoom switched off in the settings, it defaults to auto zoom when you first switch on. Even if you then zoom in manually, it overrides, and continues to auto zoom!!:mad:
What you have to do is touch the 'zoom level' icon, on the screen once, and this fixes your zoom level, switching off auto zoom. However, you have to do this every time you enter the car.:mad::mad:
As for Auto zoom, I have absolutely no idea what purpose this serves, as it is completely random. Is it perhaps a demo thing??:confused:

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
The problem is not recent, as my Sep 2013 version has the same issue. I have found, even with Auto zoom switched off in the settings, it defaults to auto zoom when you first switch on. Even if you then zoom in manually, it overrides, and continues to auto zoom!!:mad:
What you have to do is touch the 'zoom level' icon, on the screen once, and this fixes your zoom level, switching off auto zoom. However, you have to do this every time you enter the car.:mad::mad:
As for Auto zoom, I have absolutely no idea what purpose this serves, as it is completely random. Is it perhaps a demo thing??:confused:

I understand people's frustration with auto zoom. It's a Marmite thing - love it or loathe it. I like it.
Whatever, to answer your question, its purpose is to zoom in to the map as you approach the next junction or turn on your route. This makes it easier for you to select the correct road.

However, the VW auto zoom also works when you have no route plotted. In this case, it works out what road type you are on and your speed and sets the best scale of the map to suit. So doing 70+ on the motorway the scale will be 3 miles. In the city doing 20, it will come done to 500 yards.

That may be small comfort to those that dislike it...

Stripey

Ready to race!
I understand people's frustration with auto zoom. It's a Marmite thing - love it or loathe it. I like it.
Whatever, to answer your question, its purpose is to zoom in to the map as you approach the next junction or turn on your route. This makes it easier for you to select the correct road.
, the VW auto zoom also works when you have no route plotted. In this case, it works out what road type you are on and your speed and sets the best scale of the map to suit. So doing 70+ on the motorway the scale will be 3 miles. In the city doing 20, it will come done to 500 yards.

That may be small comfort to those that dislike it...

Unfortunately not. This is definitely a fault. If auto zoom is turned off, it should not auto zoom! Mine zooms randomly from 500yds to 1.5miles and back again when traveling at a constant 70mph on a motorway. It has only started doing this since the software was updated. Plus, as golfbald points out, it turns auto zoom on every time you turn the ignition on, even though it was off when car was switched off. Also, you can have the scale on say 2 miles, press radio to choose another station then go back to navigation and it has reverted back to 300yds.

Mines going in tomorrow to try and get this fixed!

jimble1

Ready to race!
Are you turning autozoom off in the nav settings or just pressing the button in the corner of the map? Only the former will keep it from resetting.

Golfbald

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you turning autozoom off in the nav settings or just pressing the button in the corner of the map? Only the former will keep it from resetting.

Both, the auto zoom 'off' in the settings has no effect whatsoever.

Hensonman

Passed Driver's Ed
That does sound like a fault. Mine behaves as I expect and not like yours at all.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Anyone with this fault managed to get it fixed yet?

I've tried a 2nd VW dealer to see if they were any better than the first and although they found out the previous dealer hadn't performed the software update properly, the latest attempt at fixing it didn't work (they reset all factory settings). The next option is to reinstall the software, which apparently takes 3 hours so I didn't fancy waiting around for that. This will be next week's job.

The dealer also said there were no technical notes on this issue, meaning VWUK has had no other reports of this issue. Hmmmmmmm....

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The only way it will be fixed is a new update when it is rolled out. VW will know about it as they have internet access, I have informed my local dealer and asked them to inform VW. If you can turn off Auto zoom and it stays off then tell the dealer not to update the system if you go in for work.