GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apple's CarPlay. What do you guys think?

JoeDemo

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone seen Apple Inc.'s new car software called CarPlay; the in car experience Apple is releasing to car manufacturers?
It connects with your iphone and displays certain features to your infotainment system:
  • Maps
  • Phone
  • Music
  • More apps (podcast, spotify, beats music) coming soon

Apple CarrPlay:
http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

There were a couple videos from the Geneva Motor Show on youtube showing it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir5vTWwL_iI

Personally I think its a huuuuuge step in the right direction for infotainment / entertainment systems. I also see potential for cool tech to come from this like analytics (top speed, best 0-60 etc.) on your car.

They also show the car manufacturers lineup to have CarPlay and VW isnt on the list!!!!!:(

Let me know what you guys think??? :D

Last edited:

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
Car play won't be in vw's as it looks like mirrorlink is going to be used which is not just apple. Typical apple really, go off and do your own when something else is already being touted for all users.

Wolksvagen

Banned
Will it fit in my pocket?

The existence of this system explains why the iPhone has such poor interface with the VW infotainment units.

Apple restricted functionality out of sheer greed, mind you, so do VW.

Wolksvagen

Banned
Typical apple really, go off and do your own when something else is already being touted for all users.

I often thought just how much better and cheaper an ipad is compared to even the Nav Pro, why not just integrate an ipad into the dash with the ability to access the car functions.

The VW systems are cumbersome, lousy menu systems, slow, poor res, limited as heck....ipad, apart from car systems access is light years ahead.

Last edited:

JoeDemo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car play won't be in vw's as it looks like mirrorlink is going to be used which is not just apple. Typical apple really, go off and do your own when something else is already being touted for all users.

If apple sees a market for them (car infotainment tech), & they can make money on it, they most definitely will attempt it.

They did do it with the cell phone market, and see how well that did for them?
People flock to which ever carrier offers the iPhone in the states.

JoeDemo

Passed Driver's Ed
I often thought just how much better and cheaper an ipad is compared to even the Nav Pro, why not just integrate an ipad into the dash with the ability to access the car functions.

The VW systems are cumbersome, lousy menu systems, slow, poor res, limited as heck....ipad, apart from car systems access is light years ahead.

Lol, i totally agree! I would much rather have an iPad Mini in my dash that controlled the cars information and settings too!
I think that apple is making money by selling their OS to the car manufacturers and the manufacturers are the ones with the car function integration responsibilities.

Regardless, i think it will take off given all the car companies
  • Ferari
  • Honda
  • Hyundai
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • Volvo
  • BMW
  • Chevy
  • Ford
  • Jaguar
  • Kia
  • Land Rover
  • Mitsubishi
  • Nissan
  • Opel
  • Peugeot
  • Subaru
  • Suzuki
  • Toyota

zgap101

Ready to race!
Don't know if it matters but I sometimes have my Nexus 7 on the dash...

Attachments

• 140313-Nexus7.jpg
    140313-Nexus7.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 10,918

Trus7m3

This is ridiculous, Apple are crazy. Volkswagen audi group are the best-selling cars in the U.S. for 2013. I`m form Bulgaria, and these cars are also sold many. I really do not know what Apple have in mind.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
Absolutely nothing wrong with vw's sat have. Much rather use a road map than anything from apple and if vw do use apple in the future I won't be buying vw any more.

Wolksvagen

Banned
Absolutely nothing wrong with vw's sat have. Much rather use a road map than anything from apple and if vw do use apple in the future I won't be buying vw any more.

Good, that's leaves more Apple and VW for me then.

You enjoy your antiquated, clunky, low res, not online, difficult to update, won't show some artwork, file type fussy, slow, out of date maps + one voice nav, extremely expensive VW system.