GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie with SD card question

Trim70

Hi All,

Another Newbie joining the forum, with a new GTD arriving in 3 weeks time. First VW I've had and am really looking forward to it (Carbon Grey). Quick question if I may, apologies if this is a dumb one. I'm aware that SD cards have a numbered "class rating" and I wondered if anyone could shed any light on what "class" of SD card I should be using to store audio files on? Also, do the files have to be MP3 or WAV? Many thanks in advance, I'll be back with some pic's as soon as the car arrives.

All the best....

matt2

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,

Another Newbie joining the forum, with a new GTD arriving in 3 weeks time. First VW I've had and am really looking forward to it (Carbon Grey). Quick question if I may, apologies if this is a dumb one. I'm aware that SD cards have a numbered "class rating" and I wondered if anyone could shed any light on what "class" of SD card I should be using to store audio files on? Also, do the files have to be MP3 or WAV? Many thanks in advance, I'll be back with some pic's as soon as the car arrives.

All the best....

Hi and welcome :)

I would have thought that class 6 would be fine.

The media player will play mp3s but I'm not sure about wav .

Can anyone else content?

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
Good job on your order, yeah, make sure you get some pics up; everyone loves pics.

I don't expect the class of SD card will have much impact; the read speed of any class will likely be enough.

I recently went looking for an SD card on amazon for my GTD and got a Class 10 (32GB Micro-SD with adapter ~£15) just because it was only a couple of quid more and it will be faster to actually write the music on.

Unless you've already got one laying around, just get a Class 10 and be done with it.

As for format, MP3 will be a winner, I think WMA is also supported (non DRM), I doubt wav is supported though.

Here are some sorta related links that might interest you:

Album artwork link

DAB radio station logos link

Also, at some point I'm gonna write a noddy app to copy my itunes playlists to an SD card; which I will share around when its done; but if this interests you don't enumerate your poultry just yet, I've been saying that for a few months now: procrastinator is my middle name :cool:

zitek

Car(s)
2018 Golf VII 150 TD
This is what the manual for the Discovery Media says about media types:

grahamgolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Class 4 SDHC (the cheapest I think) works fine for me, but as others have said it will take longer to write your music to it.

For what it's worth I use Media Monkey to organise MP3 files and also produce playlists. It can scan your CD collection (WAV files) reasonably reliably as well.

For what it's worth I use Media Monkey to organise MP3 files and also produce playlists. It can scan your CD collection (WAV files) reasonably reliably as well.

Does that look after album art as well Graham? I'd like to use an SDHC card, but the process of tranferring songs sounds to be a bit of a ballache, so I'm considering an iPod instead.

Question then is, which iPod? :confused:

grahamgolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Does that look after album art as well Graham? I'd like to use an SDHC card, but the process of tranferring songs sounds to be a bit of a ballache, so I'm considering an iPod instead.

Question then is, which iPod? :confused:

Media Monkey puts album artwork in the header of individual WAV files. It searches places like Amazon for it. For some of my music e.g one off tracks I've recorded from my LPs, the search can/needs to be done manually using keywords. Seems quite cleaver to me.

Last edited:

zitek

Car(s)
2018 Golf VII 150 TD
For those of you who use Mac and are bothered by files such as .DS_Store, .Spotlight, .Trashes, Thumbs.db, here's a nice little app to get rid of them easiliy every time you eject the SD (or any external media):

OptimUSB

I felt $0.99 was well worth it.