GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Install

sovietsky191

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, does anyone know if there is someone local to LA to install a downpipe for me? Please let me know and feel free to PM me with your/their rate! Thanks!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's not a bad DIY if you have a jack and jack stands available. I'm on the opposite coast or id throw it on for you. Takes 20 mins if you done one

sovietsky191

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not a bad DIY if you have a jack and jack stands available. I'm on the opposite coast or id throw it on for you. Takes 20 mins if you done one

I've never done downpipes on my old MK5. It was something that I considered hard to do. Thanks for your help tho, i might try to tackle this myself.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The main thing is getting the car up high enough safely to make it easy. You need to rotate the DP towards the passenger side to get it to clear everything coming out, and of course remove the support bracket and axle heat shield for clearance. It'll be easier than a Mk5/6 since they had 4 mounting studs/nuts on the turbo vs our cars use a v band

Either way if a shop quotes you over an hour for the install go elsewhere, they're BSing you.

sovietsky191

Passed Driver's Ed
The main thing is getting the car up high enough safely to make it easy. You need to rotate the DP towards the passenger side to get it to clear everything coming out, and of course remove the support bracket and axle heat shield for clearance. It'll be easier than a Mk5/6 since they had 4 mounting studs/nuts on the turbo vs our cars use a v band

Either way if a shop quotes you over an hour for the install go elsewhere, they're BSing you.

Appreciate your help man!! Great info here!

mqbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Even that's steep for an hour of labor, which is still over kill.

They quote by book, not how fast they do it. You know the game, you can get a mobile mech to do it for 50 honestly.

Springs + shock install was 100 from reputable mobile mech, it will cost 200~300 at a shop

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
They quote by book, not how fast they do it. You know the game, you can get a mobile mech to do it for 50 honestly.

Springs + shock install was 100 from reputable mobile mech, it will cost 200~300 at a shop

Yeah, I'm just saying he can find a better deal for sure.

I'm an aircraft mechanic so when I do installs for people I just charge my hourly rate for how long the job really takes.

I've never heard of a mobile mechanic, I wouldn't wanna work on someone's car anywhere but my garage. You never know what you'll run into and I have everything I could end up needing in my box x2. One set at work, mirror image set at home.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Assuming the shop will do it. Most won't remove the oem one due to the removing of cat convertors. They know the big fines they could get from epa.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ready to race!
group install at a rental lift. a few people can knock out each car fast if everyone helps each other. so like 4 people or so just works on one car at a time shouldn't take much more than 30mins per car in the air. plus all the tools are part of the rental time.