GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USB cable instead of MDI

iHayoona

Ready to race!
So I called my dealer and asked if I can get a USB cable instead of that useless MDI, and the guy said it can't be done but there's a new iphone 5 (lightning cable) available for $100 (yeah right) so I ordered a USB cable off eBay and I'm waiting for it now, I tried the SD but it was a pain and didn't work, has anybody tried a USB cable (not original USB/aux that's available instead of MDI) can you see artwork or use steering wheel controls while playing a USB stick? Or is it just like the iPod connected to MDI (charging/no controls whatsoever?)

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Why do you say the MDI is useless?
Mine never came with MDI , so my years old ipod touch still has little use,
SD card works as does bluetooth connection (that's the only way I can use my ipod touch in the car(well I could use the 3.5mm socket))
I have used USB sticks in the car and yes it shows the artwork and is contollable from the steering wheel.

iHayoona

Ready to race!
Why do you say the MDI is useless?
Mine never came with MDI , so my years old ipod touch still has little use,
SD card works as does bluetooth connection (that's the only way I can use my ipod touch in the car(well I could use the 3.5mm socket))
I have used USB sticks in the car and yes it shows the artwork and is contollable from the steering wheel.

I say it's useless because I should've been given a choice between USB and MDI, I don't own an old iPod or an iPhone 4S so it's rendered useless, Bluetooth works quite nicely, I'd just like to see artwork

manndegolf

Passed Driver's Ed
You could have the MDI cable for USB, part number 000 051 446 A.

But I doubt you could see artwork with that, because as far as I know, it works only on the adapter cable for iPod.

You need the 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter if you are using an iPhone 5.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I say it's useless because I should've been given a choice between USB and MDI, I don't own an old iPod or an iPhone 4S so it's rendered useless, Bluetooth works quite nicely, I'd just like to see artwork

I see what you mean, the MDI is the interface to the vehicle, the end of the lead does not need to be ipod, you can have various attachments, there are USB, mini USB, ipod and others iirc.

iHayoona

Ready to race!
You could have the MDI cable for USB, part number 000 051 446 A.

But I doubt you could see artwork with that, because as far as I know, it works only on the adapter cable for iPod.

You need the 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter if you are using an iPhone 5.

Had it, only charges the phone, says: accessory not compatible with phone

WotNo

Passed Driver's Ed
I use the MDI cable with USB attachment & music on USB stick. It displays artwork just fine and is fully controllable via steering wheel. I asked for the usb cable instead of the ipod cable prior to collecting my car and was given both.

iHayoona

Ready to race!
I use the MDI cable with USB attachment & music on USB stick. It displays artwork just fine and is fully controllable via steering wheel. I asked for the usb cable instead of the ipod cable prior to collecting my car and was given both.

Just received one from eBay, works more than great, artwork and controllability, amazeballs

iHayoona

Ready to race!
Is the artwork embedded into the file or just sitting within a music folder?

It has to be embedded, and even then, a few odd ones won't show, but avoid putting artwork into the music folder, it just added to files that you'll probably notice when you choose from the car's music list, as an annoying extra

stevew09

Ready to race!
That's the adaptor you can get with car if you ask for it.

I asked the dealer before I picked up the car if I could have the USB to MDI instead of the Iphone to MDI as I have no Apple devices. He just gave me the USB adaptor (as shown in your link).