GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discover Pro and Podcasts

Hi All

Can anyone please tell me if the Discover Pro can list Podcasts within a series in DATE order as opposed to episode name

Either from the HD/SD or a connected iPod/Phone via the media in

Thanks in advance

zgap101

Ready to race!
I'll be picking up my Mk7 tomorrow, and I will certainly try all sorts of things on the head unit.

I will see what it does :) and let you know (if no-one's made an answer).

zgap101

Ready to race!
I have a few podcasts and they are regular mp3 files.
- I assume yours are also?

Query: what do you mean by "DATE order"?

Is it the created/modified file date?

I don't think there's a "date" TAG in a mp3 file...

Thanks for the reply xtekm

I hope you enjoy collecting your new purchase :)

I use iTunes to download BBC and Audioboo podcasts and then transfer them to iPod/iPad

I tried connecting the iPod via the MediaIn cable on a loan MK6 and it all worked well except that the podcasts within a series (eg Friday Night Comedy, Bottom Line, Bletchley Park) were listed in episode name order as opposed to release date order as they are on an iPod which is what you want so they are easy to play in the correct order when you have many to catchup on

Thanks in advance and enjoy the driving first ! :)

JCJ

Ready to race!
I would be really interested to know about podcasts too.

Also, I am guessing that it is not possible to listen to BBC iplayer download radio programmes on the Discover Pro, but it would be awesome if you could. Any technical dudes able to enable such a service, I would be interested.

JCJ

Ready to race!
Thanks for info. Just discovered that you can right click and download virtualy any BBC Radio programme and save to SD card. Ideal!

Although I guess my next question is 'Can the Discover Pro update podcasts automatically when in range of my home Wifi and computer?'

Guess I am asking too much now.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for info. Just discovered that you can right click and download virtualy any BBC Radio programme and save to SD card. Ideal!

Although I guess my next question is 'Can the Discover Pro update podcasts automatically when in range of my home Wifi and computer?'

Guess I am asking too much now.

I guess you are too, the pro brings larger screen, dvd player and hard drive plus a 3d sat nav and voice control for the extra money.

zgap101

Ready to race!
I've downloaded some podcasts from the BBC, and tried them out.
Tested on SD card & USB flash.

The unit has the usual "Artist" / "Album" / "Genre" etc and also "Filename"

I can't see any "date".

The files downloaded all have filesnames with reverse dates, so playing by filenames will play them from old-to-new...
Hope that should work for you

You can always play via Bluetooth.

Last edited:

zgap101

Ready to race!
Yes, adding a prefix to each new file should solve the problem.

Otherwise it's played according to SERIES NAME then DATE...

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 941
Hi Alex

Thanks very much for looking into this and hope your enjoying your new car :D

Yes unfortunately the BBC naming convention isn't always consistent and you certainly get the odd random filename so I assume they must all be being done at their end by hand :confused:

If the SD/HD just reads the filename then so long as they are consistent then this will work.

BTW does the Album or Artist show up as Bottom Line etc ?

One thing I have found in the past is that renaming the files has no effect on Sony media players or iPods as they must actually be looking INSIDE at the contents of the file for the information

I have been lead to believe on an Apple forum that older iPod Touches (2G 3G) or to be more accurate iOS 5 devices when connected using the manufacturer cable to an Audi DOES show podcasts in DATE order regardless of filename

Hopefully someone here reading has an iPod and cable for the MK7 and could let me know

Thanks

Hi Al

Ive been hunting around the web for more information on the Discover Pro but not having much luck

Assuming it works like this could someone please tell me if you press Menu then go into Setup and Media what setup options do you have?

Thanks very much