GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

composition media slow to turn on

Psychicjedi

Lately I've had an issue where the sound System in my SE1.6 doesn't come on for at least a minute.

Won't respond to buttons or anything, and on one occasion it was more like 3 minutes!

anyone seen this, any ideas?

Cheers

Mo

Hello_Mr_Mo

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you on about the sound when your system is in Radio mode? If so, is it because you're in DAB? I get a 3/4 second delay when in DAB mode compared to FM.

It sounds like you need to take trip to the dealer to get this issue resolved.

Psychicjedi

yes it's soundinglike a dealer trip is the way forward, I can be on any mode, or even no mode! and it takes forty five seconds to come on :(

Psychicjedi

Well, It wont come on at all now.. I've booked it into the dealer.. they claim it might be the fuse on the back of the unit and if it is it'll be 65 quid to replace it to cover diagnostics and replacement! as fuses are not covered under warranty. I've asked for information about the fuse type size etc and how to access the back of the radio to replace it, they tell me it's complicated and it needs to be booked in... I smell poo.

Anyone got an uptodate pdf handbook, the fuse locations in mine dont match whats actually there nor do the fuse ratings!

Anyone removed one of these how hard is it? and is there a fuse!?

Snaptag

Ready to race!
Well, It wont come on at all now.. I've booked it into the dealer.. they claim it might be the fuse on the back of the unit and if it is it'll be 65 quid to replace it to cover diagnostics and replacement! as fuses are not covered under warranty. I've asked for information about the fuse type size etc and how to access the back of the radio to replace it, they tell me it's complicated and it needs to be booked in... I smell poo.

Anyone got an uptodate pdf handbook, the fuse locations in mine dont match whats actually there nor do the fuse ratings!

Anyone removed one of these how hard is it? and is there a fuse!?

Also just get a second opinion from another VW workshop and tell them what you've been told. Dealers and workshops love to badmouth each other, so you should get a straight answer :D

Psychicjedi

took it for a second opinion.. they checked the fuses and said it was faulty. I booked it in and they reported that they changed the radio control unit and everything is ok.

it wasn't I couldnt access any media via the ipod etc. and had other things on screen. (aux in was displayed (3.5mm jack socket) They took it away and came back 50 mins later appologising and saying that they had to code the radio manually as the automatic system didnt do it correctly! ... imagine VW spend millions on this system and it doesnt work! :rolleyes:

Now Is this BS!

or have they put a different radio control unit in the car?
unfortunately I can't find the firmware pictures I took of the original at this point.
so can anyone help with whats on there unit..

my problem is that if it's a different unit, then it's different and gives each VW tech a headache cause it's not what its meant to be!

and I'd rather reject it now if thats the case.

I'll be discussing this with VW later on in the week anyway. but having some information might be usefull.. there appears to be lots of radio control units that could be fitted, does anyone know the difference between them? and whats the latest HW and SW revisions.

Cheers

Psychicjedi

o.k. Radio working as expected.. no Issues there. VW customer services called to close the case!

I sugested to them that the case I'd opened wasn't so much to do with the lack of dealer service as the lack of information in the handbook about the fuses.

Was told they don't give out fuse information, it wasn't there job to teach owners how to change a fuse!

I said I didn't need taught to change a fuse, I only needed to be informed what the correct fuse rating and locations for my vehicle were.

Was then told VW wont give this information out because I might do something like put the wrong fuse in and void my warranty!!!

For goodness sake *(or something similar) I thought!!

So don't you think providing out of date or incorrect information in the owners handbook will result in an owner swapping the wrong fuse out and voiding the warrenty..

VW reply we don't expect owners to swap fuses! (not sure why they provide any information about them in the handbook then) I know your not happy with the answer but I'm closing the case! if you want specific information about your car, you can sign up for the online site at erwin and it'll cost you 5euros per hour...

And they call that customer service! :eek:

Now in over 34 years of motoring I've never had so much grief or heard so much crap in my life!

How hard is it to get a straight answer.