GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

infotainment system freezing

bigman0

have entered a world of diagnostic hell.

my Infotainment system keeping freezing up or thinking its in Wolfsberg or changing stations / tracks etc

Its now on its 4th day at the garage having diagnostics run on it which find nothing wrong. Without this VW wont authorise replacing the unit.

anyone else had this problem and / or got advice about how to resolve?

TIA

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Not specifically heard of your problems, but how old is the car (and don't suppose you know what firmware it's running) ?

Lots of people here and in Germany with the early MK7's with very early firmware's had lots of bugs, which were mostly (if not 100%) cured with a software update. The latest I believe is 0200 for the Nav Pro (which I have), however my current version (for a late August 2013 build) is 0192, and I don't have any issues, so assume it's a pretty stable release. Not sure what the latest is for the CMS unit but guess that must have an update available as well ?

Quite surprised that the dealer hasn't first tried a software update, unless yours is a very new car already running the latest firmware, in which case a change of the information electronics units (the bit in the glovebox), would seem in order ?

bigman0

Thanks for this.
I should have explained that the first occasion the car was away was for a firmware update. So they have tried the obvious things and thought (mistakenly)they had resolved it.

Where we are now is the car is back with them, the system worked fine when they looked at it on Friday and the diagnostics haven't diagnosed anything.

VW want a full computer analysis before they authorise a replacement, which ostensibly isn't unreasonable. Except i know the underlying problem hasn't been resolved. I have a video of the symptoms of the problem but apparently this is insufficient for VW

It is one of the early 1.4 TSI ACT 140ps GTs.

Bah Humbug

drummerh

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for this.

It is one of the early 1.4 TSI ACT 140ps GTs.

Bah Humbug

Yeah. Mine did this, especially when cold. I filmed it doing it on my phone and they still said they couldn't replicate it and therefore couldn't do anything about it. In the end I complained like hell, and they swapped my unit out for a new stock model they had on the forecourt, which seems to have solved it.

It still does weird things like not saving the ringtone if you change it and turn the ignition off.

Out of interest, try restarting your mobile if it's connected by bluetooth and see if the problem goes away. It did sometimes with mine.

Interestingly, mine's the same model. It was manufactured in May last year.

Blue-Motion-Ricky

Passed Driver's Ed
eyup lads,

i too have experienced this fault, the last 3 day it has frozen completely. its been flicking through menus on its own. it selects different settings without me even touching it.

ive phoned the dealer and its booked in to be looked at monday. all being well it will be sorted. ive had the car a week and its had to have its service indicator taken off because they left that on.

then they scratched the car cleaning it so its been back to be waxed and sorted. now this.

in 9 days. so not a good start lol

Blue-Motion-Ricky

Passed Driver's Ed
update.

had it back in the dealer on monday. brand new unit put it. it seems that the screen freezing and having a mind of its own is quite serious. they said it was un fixable even though 9/10 times it was fine. they replaced it f.o.c and valleted and waxed the car for me. cant complain. :)

benpaul

Passed Driver's Ed
Has this problem generally gone away with the consequent updates?

I've just bought a 2014 GTI and working with the dealer to sort out problems with the infotainment system freezing and the driving mode selection not working fully.

Keen to know if this isn't really an issue anymore!!