GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Have a DSG Tune?

morel

Passed Driver's Ed
If anyone near OC area has a tune on their MK7, would love to get an opinion. Looking at getting the UM setup from Four Seasons Tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morel

Passed Driver's Ed
Which engine software do you have? It is typically best to match engine software with transmission software.

I still have a stock tune. Trying to get a few opinions for the DSG options, as there aren't too many reviews out there.

Last edited:

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
There are a TON of reviews on this site. Just do a google search for APR/EU/REVO/etc TCU tune. That should net you everything you need to know.

morel

Passed Driver's Ed
There are a TON of reviews on this site. Just do a google search for APR/EU/REVO/etc TCU tune. That should net you everything you need to know.

I have searched, but nothing is more helpful than live experience.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I still have a stock tune. Trying to get a few opinions for the DSG options, as there aren't too many reviews out there.

I've had a DSG tune on my previous MK6, I got it specifically for a feature and to tighten up the lazy stock programming.

Why are you interested in a DSG tune specifically? I'd like to give you an opinion from the direction of what you are looking to add or change with the tune, or why you think you want it.

Also I'd x2 what Pacific German said, TCU tunes aren't typically done before ECU tuning, and those tunes are typically matched best by the same tuning company.

morel

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had a DSG tune on my previous MK6, I got it specifically for a feature and to tighten up the lazy stock programming.

Why are you interested in a DSG tune specifically? I'd like to give you an opinion from the direction of what you are looking to add or change with the tune, or why you think you want it.

Also I'd x2 what Pacific German said, TCU tunes aren't typically done before ECU tuning, and those tunes are typically matched best by the same tuning company.

I understand. I will also be getting an ECU tune, but want to see what the experiences have been with TCU tunes.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I understand. I will also be getting an ECU tune, but want to see what the experiences have been with TCU tunes.

I understand you are looking for peoples experiences, which you could gather from all the review threads as suggested previously, but you didn't answer my question: Why do YOU want a TCU tune?

Do you want to have D mode be "sportier"? Do you like the idea of firmer/faster shifts? Increased torque holding for future mod stages you have planned?

Most people DON'T get a TCU tune, and if they do it's because they were looking to add a feature, resolve an issue, or further increase performance. All the reviews I've read have been favorable for ALL TCU tunes, aside from a select few that had issues with an APR tune, possibly an earlier revision.

I'm just not sure if you're looking to be convinced either way, or if you are looking for someone to break down the minute differences from stock to XXX tune. Really, trying to help but you need to lay out what your goal is.

morel

Passed Driver's Ed
I understand you are looking for peoples experiences, which you could gather from all the review threads as suggested previously, but you didn't answer my question: Why do YOU want a TCU tune?

Do you want to have D mode be "sportier"? Do you like the idea of firmer/faster shifts? Increased torque holding for future mod stages you have planned?

Most people DON'T get a TCU tune, and if they do it's because they were looking to add a feature, resolve an issue, or further increase performance. All the reviews I've read have been favorable for ALL TCU tunes, aside from a select few that had issues with an APR tune, possibly an earlier revision.

I'm just not sure if you're looking to be convinced either way, or if you are looking for someone to break down the minute differences from stock to XXX tune. Really, trying to help but you need to lay out what your goal is.

I'm fine with D mode as is.

For S mode I'm after lower RPM upshifts if anything. It holds way too high at half throttle. Would like for it to use 6th while cruising. More aggressive downshifts while braking.

Faster manual shifting is a must. Stock M mode feels laggier than some torque converter autos.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm fine with D mode as is.

For S mode I'm after lower RPM upshifts if anything. It holds way too high at half throttle. Would like for it to use 6th while cruising. More aggressive downshifts while braking.

Faster manual shifting is a must. Stock M mode feels laggier than some torque converter autos.

You might get a slightly improved and smarter sport mode, but sport mode isn't ever going to get you hanging out in 6th. It's for sport, best way I've heard it described is that if it's your first time on a race track and you don't know the corners, use S. Otherwise you're driving normally in D or shifting yourself on M.

If you're not familiar with the DSG transmission, it has some quirks because of learning and adaptation where it might not be anticipating your next move and that causes a slow shift.

That said one of the advertised benefits of a TCU tune is a quicker more positive shift in M, so there you go.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Also it sounds like what you want is what GIAC is offering for their TCU tune, which allows you to select at flash a modified D mode, one is stock, one is more aggressive, the last is effectively S. Check that out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk