GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY OEM retrofitted navigation system

ameel

I only have composition media and want to upgrade to a navigation system.

So, I found this: VW Golf Mark VII 7 SatNav GPS Multimedia Rear Camera Interface*::*VW*::*XCarLink (UK website)

Been in contact with them. They are happy to ship to Australia and supply Australian maps. In their response they also provided me with the installation manual, which all looks fairly easy.

The only concern setting up is to remove the current screen/system so that I can make the connections, and strategically place/rig up the navigation system (the installation guide does not cover this). An installer would, no doubt, know how to do this easily.

Considering current prices for Australian retrofitted navigation on the mk7 are a rip off, I wouldn't mind getting the UK one and installing myself at 350pounds/AUD$585.

Alternatively, would someone be able to recommend a reliable installer in Canberra that would be willing to fit that product?

Some side notes:

1. Alternative Australian Products/resellers/installers
I've been in touch with HiTV (Product home web page_ol.gif) and contacted their retailer in Canberra, but was quoted 1500 for navigation setup alone (including product cost).

Contacted JKU, and was quoted $1529 for the system + $550 for installation.

Contacted Cartronix (VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 7 SAT NAV DVD ADON) and was quoted $995 for the interface ONLY (incl installation) and extra $500 for the GPS system (incl. installation), i.e. total of $1495.

Carkitme (Golf Mk7 GPS | CarKitMe | Sydney) which appears to only offer installation in NSW does not look that expensive at $995 installed, just impractical location for me.

2. Interesting thing I read from the installation manual is:
"The unit is a video only interface. For audio, you must connect the Audio Out connections either to an FM modulator or AUX input if present in the car. You can firstly select FM or AUX, and then switch to the AV inputs to have sound and video playing simultaneously"

On the basis of how the other interfaces (the Australian ones) all seem to work the same way, i.e. by hooking to the car's CAN, I strongly suspect that they all have the same issue with audio.

3. Also, the Mk7 does NOT sport any mirrorlink natively. The example below is probably added through a retroffited interface:
Does the system support Mirrorlink?

You run the sat nav on your smartphone and the result is displayed on the Golf's screen.
edit: upon further query: 내비게ì�´ì…˜, 아틀란 3D ì*�ìš© 셋탑. A í�´ë�¼ìŠ¤ 출시!! / 미러ë§�í�¬ëŠ” 기본~ ì†�ë�„ë¡œ ë��ì�„ 봅니다 예아!! lml !! | ì�¼ì—¬ì„¯ Unit (so yeah, retrofitted solution)