GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In light of California's Strict-as-hell Emission Laws..

awa

What did you guys do for your stage 2? I'm not really sure how to look this up if there has been any discussions like this specifically for Californians. But my real question is, any one here have a turboback setup and know what I should expect if I get one? Again, I apologized if this topic has been beaten to death; I just wanted to know your stage 2 setups and experiences.

MK7Joe

Ready to race!
many people run downpipes, if you have a loud exhaust, your going to attract the wrong attention. you don't have to smog for 6-7 years (I forgot). I have a mk6 gti and the downpipe isn't visible unless you are looking for it as oppose to the mk7 where it is plain site, of course you will probably get sent to state ref. then at that point just throw the stock one on

Jaysyn

I'm running the Eurocode Tuning DP with my stage 2 tune and its great. Good sound but not too loud. I don't think a complete TB exhaust is necessary. When its time to smog just throw your stock DP back on. I did the same thing with my last car and never had any issues. Like MK7joe said you just don't want to attract the wrong attention.

Calabria

Passed Driver's Ed
smog is every other year, so once every two years. they do a visual check and sniff test. they plug into your obd port and make sure there arent any codes being pulled for emission purposes. takes about 10-15min. some people can pass with open dp and hfc.

AR11

Ready to race!
For those that are curious, I smogged my WRX before selling it not more than a month ago and it was purely a visual inspection and ECU scan. I had a catless up pipe, aftermarket (catted) downpipe, and various other noticeable aftermarket parts in the engine bay. Further, I was running a custom tune.

The reason I mention all this is that it seems like as long as your car seems to be reasonably configured and isn't showing a CEL then you're probably good to go. Your mileage may vary.

I honestly think that the exterior of the car will raise more flags than a loud exhaust. If your gti is grinding on the ground with 4 degrees of negative camber, limo tint and stupid stickers all over the place the police are going to give you a much harder time than the guy in the stock looking gti with moderately loud exhaust.

nikhsub1

What?
FYI in CA you don't need your first smog check until the 7th year... so if you have a 2015 you won't need a smog check until 2021. I won't have my car then :D

VWGTI

Ready to race!
Here's what I did when i swapped out my downpipe.

I ended up keeping the stock downpipe as I plan to keep this car for more than 7 years. So when the time comes, just hook up the stock downpipe to the cat-back and you should be gold!

JT641

Banned
Don't if anyone checked out the link in the above post But here's the #1 post

Thought I would start a thread that covers everything on this topic So as to help those that aren't informed and/or are improperly informed on this subject.

So I'll start things off on a Positive note;

There is only one option right now that I currently know of if you choose to drive a modded car & live in California

Register your car in a Smog Exempt County or Zip Code (Also another State Works too);)

Here's more info on that

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

http://skrewdmv.tripod.com/bismog.html

Some info on those mobile smog stops

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_23219778/surprise-bay-area-drivers-have-cars-examined-at

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/questions-595877-news-checkpoints.html[/

and what they look like

I will update this thread when I'm able to confirm what is out there so this thread Stays Factual & Informative (and as my schedule allows). But Feel free to contribute Solid Credible Information, But Please Try and Keep This Thread Helpful & Informative for all.