GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Washer not working

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
So...today as I was enjoying my drive to work, I tried to use the windshield washer and nothing. I also tried to use the rear washer with the same result. The wipers work of course but no spray. I am not out of washer fluid and I couldn't hear the pump working when I activated it. i haven't seen anyone else note this problem. Any ideas?

James75

Go Kart Champion
Most likely fuse - just need to change it - or get the dealer to change it.

I don't know what the weather is like with you - but if it's been cold/icy and you've tried to use the wipers, sometimes that causes the fuse to blow.

I'd check fuse first :)

James

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
So...today as I was enjoying my drive to work, I tried to use the windshield washer and nothing. I also tried to use the rear washer with the same result. The wipers work of course but no spray. I am not out of washer fluid and I couldn't hear the pump working when I activated it. i haven't seen anyone else note this problem. Any ideas?

Have you been using Rain-X fluid by chance?

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Have you been using Rain-X fluid by chance?

That is not very reassuring! I immediately dumped the crap cleaner when I took delivery, and have always refilled with Rain-X.

We cannot buy the <20* stuff here, so maybe there is a chemical in that causing the pump to fail? Or is there just something in Rain-X that causes this issue?

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Rain-X is known to foul out our washer fluid sensors and motors. Do a quick search on Google and you'll see its a common issue. The teflon in Rain-x tends to gum up over time and clog things up. =/

I have heard of successful fixes involving warm water, alcohol, and the like. But you might just be better off covering this under warranty. And then stick with the plain cheap blue stuff!

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
I only have 750 miles on the car and have never refilled the windshield washer fluid, so no Rain-X here (I topped it off today to make sure it wasn't out of fluid). I have seen that it can be a problem though, so thanks for the reminder.
I looked and didn't see a fuse that was blown. Is there only one pump for the front windshield and rear window washer fluid nozzles? I thought it may have been the switch on the steering column, but it activates the wipers just fine. So, I am guessing that it is the pump that has failed. Good grief.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I only have 750 miles on the car and have never refilled the windshield washer fluid, so no Rain-X here (I topped it off today to make sure it wasn't out of fluid). I have seen that it can be a problem though, so thanks for the reminder.
I looked and didn't see a fuse that was blown. Is there only one pump for the front windshield and rear window washer fluid nozzles? I thought it may have been the switch on the steering column, but it activates the wipers just fine. So, I am guessing that it is the pump that has failed. Good grief.

CosturmWolke: The washer pump on a mk 7 isn't fused. The two wires to the pump (+ve and -ve) are directly connected to the Body Control Module. And yes, there is only one washer pump in the car (does both front and rear - and headlights if you have xenon lamps). The way that it works is that the BCM sees that the pump switch on the stalk is closed (the switch is also connected to the BCM) and it sends a +ve supply to another set of pins to engage the motor.

So I guess the problem could be
(1) the BCM itself (unlikely, but still possible)
(2) the pump motor (try disconnecting the wires and running a temp pair to +12v and earth - brown wire is normally earth on a mk7)
(3) a blockage (can you hear the motor working?)
(4) the switch/wiring (Whist you are correct that it uses the same stalk mechanism as the wipers. the pump engages a different set of contacts in the switch)

But clearly this is a warranty issue - So why not make your problem , the problem of the guy that sold you the car?

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Hi guys, I will refresh the topic a little bit :D

I noticed my windshield washers are not working while standing still with the car. I pull the stalk, wipers start working, but no water is coming out, no sound of motor. Everything else is okay, I am not having any issues during the ride. Is there any setting in central electrics which may restrict the function while standing still? Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi guys, I will refresh the topic a little bit :D

I noticed my windshield washers are not working while standing still with the car. I pull the stalk, wipers start working, but no water is coming out, no sound of motor. Everything else is okay, I am not having any issues during the ride. Is there any setting in central electrics which may restrict the function while standing still? Thanks!
Refresh is probably not the word for a 6 year old thread. 😂

Does fluid otherwise come out if you're moving?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
1639870381647.jpeg

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Poor kittens...

Yes, no problem while moving, just when standing still, the water is not coming out of the nozzles, but the wipers are wiping a dry windshield...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Poor kittens...

Yes, no problem while moving, just when standing still, the water is not coming out of the nozzles, but the wipers are wiping a dry windshield...
If it used to work that way I would ask the dealer.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Well, I have it for few months and I noticed such behavior. It was leased by a bank before. I havent done any coding changes so far.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well, I have it for few months and I noticed such behavior. It was leased by a bank before. I havent done any coding changes so far.
Ask someone else if there's does the same thing. My windshield is clean so I'm not going to mess it up to find out.