GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Pads/Rotors for PP

Xyro TR1

Yay
Car(s)
2015 GTI
One of the things I tend to do with my car is upgrade the brake components. I've loved my Hawk HPS pads, but it seems they don't have any for the PP!

Has anyone seen high performance street pads/rotors available yet for the PP?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I have used 50+ sets of performance pads over the years and was always disappointed with the Hawks HP and HPS pads for dual duty (track/street), they are no better than EBC Reds/Yellows. Companies like CarboTech, Ferodo and Project Mu are some of the best in the market and they each can even make custom compounds for you upon request too.

CarboTech currently is the only one that I know that makes pads for our car as seen here... http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads.asp?Make=Volkswagen&Model=Golf_GTi . I haven't seen any rotors available yet but I'm sure they will have something out by the time you chew through the OEM units.

I would like to note that I have done a couple track days and auto-x events with the OEM brakes and experienced zero fade and consistent braking throughout the day. The OEM pads have pretty good bite too, they seem well engineered and up to the task. Personally, I would just change out the rubber lines and put some better fluid in it unless you plan on doing a lot of track days.

Last edited:

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
What is the best dual duty pad for this application, in your humble opinion RJR?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
In the "off the shelf category" I have had great experiences with the Project Mu HC+ and CarboTech AX6 for street/track use; minimal noise, dust and lots of bite. I have used all 4 Hawk and EBC street pads on multiple setups and all of them had fade on the track.. the EBC's actually completely melted first time out lol. Some of Hawks top end race pads are okay, but their "street pads" aren't good on the street or track IMO.

nuSchule

Ready to race!
Sub'd. I was actually researching replacement rotors for the PP earlier today... no luck as RjR mentioned. I believe the VWR two-piece rear replacement rotors will fit PP cars but even if you track regularly, the benefit of swapping out the rears is marginal given the cost.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Interesting CarboTech is still near the top even after all these years. It seems like the Panther was popular back in the day. I will check the AX6 out. I never had an issue with Hawk HPS for a daily driving pad that bites better than stock in most applications. I tried the HP Plus but despite more temp range and linear force squeaked and squealed any time the rotors were not hot and were about too much for true street tires anyway. As you can tell, it's been a while since I was around the cones.

Now I've got to go search for a thread on favorite brake fluid for this platform. I wonder if ATE blue is still tops.

Last edited:

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
StopTech has the upgrades for the rear on the list. I am unsure of when development will start, but this forum will be first to know when I hear about it.

I recommend RBF600 fluid, and we use it quite often with great success.

Xyro TR1

Yay
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The HPS pads saved my ass several times around the streets here. They may fade on the track but they're better than stock on the street for sure.

My car in particular will never see a track, I just want the fastest-biting street pad out there that won't squeal. Thoughts?

EDIT: also, in no way am I disappointed with the OEM setup on the PP. I may want a different set of rotors just for looks eventually. I was just wondering if there was a better upgrade option that didn't involve getting a BBK!

Last edited:

Optical TDI

You can do Carbotech 1521 (Bobcats) for street and XP10/8 if you are doing any DEs. I've used XP10/8 combo on the street during summer months so I wasn't switching out pads a few times. The 8 or 10 are noisy on the street but they were safe for me. Some say to try the AX6 for both, it just depends on if you are autocross or DE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
...Now I've got to go search for a thread on favorite brake fluid for this platform. I wonder if ATE blue is still tops.

I have three tins of ATE Super Blue sitting on my tool box as we speak lol. I've been running this stuff for a while too and its never failed me so I have had no reason to switch brands over the years. A lot of guys like the Motul RBF 600/660 and Castrol SRF too, I have minimal hands-on experience with either of these though.

Rescue Ranger

I can say that through years of Autox, HPDE and TT, stock rotors are king. A true two-piece rotor will cost huge sums of money, and the cheap two-piece will fail after a track day or two and are borderline dangerous, even on the street. I ran stock Autozone rotors on my Evo each year, and after 6 or 7 events they'd have surface cracks and need replacing ($50 ea) - that's with r-compound tires too. My friend in his Nissan ran a cheap two piece that failed after one 20 minute session.

Given you are in it for looks, I can't really help you in the rotor category, except to say invest in the looks category elsewhere. In the pad category, Hawk HPS are not an upgrade. Any perceived improvement was most likely due to the fact that you did some brake fluid replacement at the time of installing your Hawk HPS which is really where you'd see a big difference, especially if the fluid was old.

Hawk HPS also dust far more than their competition and if they get hot (even after hard street use), I've had pad transfer issues with them giving me vibration in the steering wheel on braking.

Hawk HP+ are also the LOUDEST damn brake pad I have ever heard in my life with exception of true track pads. They also turn the side of your car black with brake dust.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Pagid and Carbone Lorraine are two very good pad makers. They are the Michelins of brake pads.

I haven't found their R/Gti references yet but will post here as soon as I do.

Ben.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Pagid and Carbone Lorraine are two very good pad makers. They are the Michelins of brake pads.

I haven't found their R/Gti references yet but will post here as soon as I do.

Ben.

I completely agree. I had Carbone Lorraine RC5+ all round in my Peugeot 207RC along with Tarox G88 discs. Compared to stock the braking force and linearity of the pedal were much improved (and the brakes of the 207RC were great from stock -anyone who drove the car knows- it had 302mm rotors and bigger calipers compared to the 150hp Rallye). If you find the C-L pads for the PP, please, let us know. I'd like to buy front and rear, but the rears were never available for the 310mm setup. Right now I'm trying contacting Endless for their MX72 pads but they did not answer my email yet.

LeGti

Ready to race!
I emailed CL but they still haven't replied. This weekend I'm visiting friends from Alméras Porsche in Montpellier: they're involved with Carbone Lorraine so hope to get some answers through them.

Will definitely post here when I find something :)

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I emailed CL but they still haven't replied. This weekend I'm visiting friends from Alméras Porsche in Montpellier: they're involved with Carbone Lorraine so hope to get some answers through them.

Will definitely post here when I find something :)

I foun out the following: front pads does not exist yet. Rears do not either. But they can produce specific pads if there is demand of 500 or more...