GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about Axles and Bolts

Z27

Ready to race!
So I went to a auto shop yesterday to have my VWR Springs and ECS Spacers installed.

I was talking to the owner who worked on my car about axles and bolts and I mentioned that I have been reading that people online suggest the bolts get replaced after removal.

He said that there are two types of axle bolts, the inner, and the outer. He said he did not touch the inner bolt but removed and reused the outer bolt. He also mentioned that if he had to remove the inner bolts, those need to be replaced.

After doing more research, I now see that the outer bolts are 1 pc each side and the inner bolts are 6 pcs each side.

So MK7 gurus, should the outer bolts be replaced also? Am I over paranoid here?

If so, can anyone send a link where to buy the out bolts? (and inner as well).

Thanks!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
removed and reused the outer bolt

BIG no no

You need to replace those ASAP

"The axle bolt is a torque to yield "stretch bolt", tightened to 70 NM/52 lb ft., then another 90 degrees to stretch it. You can re-use it once or twice, but the stretching causes the bolt to stress, and wont hold correctly. The proper procedure is replace with new every time."

http://www.urotuning.com/Axle-Bolt-Mk5-Mk6-B6-p/wht002795.htm

These "should" be the correct inner bolts:
http://www.urotuning.com/CV-Joint-Bolt-Axle-to-Trans-6-speed-M10x52-p/n90991102.htm

BUT since he didn't touch them, there's NO need to replace them

Last edited:

Z27

Ready to race!
Hi Sno,

Thanks for the response. I ordered 4 of these the other day http://www.ecstuning.com/ES6055/. Are they correct?

Also, for a general question, when modifying suspension, what other bolts need to be replaced? I believed he removed the brake caliper, and that entire circle shape that attaches to the bottom of the shocks. The piece that connects the shocks, brake caliper, and axle. He didn't just remove the suspension alone.

So I'm wondering if there are any other bolts I should order?

Z27

Ready to race!
Ok perfect! The strut pinch bolt - is that the bolt that tightens the clamp that holds on to the damper? I don't think he removed those.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ok perfect! The strut pinch bolt - is that the bolt that tightens the clamp that holds on to the damper? I don't think he removed those.

You have to remove that bolt to get the strut out, lol. It tightens the spindle, which "clamps" around the base of the strut

Unless he went thru the trouble of removing the whole spindle & left the strut attached to it? :confused:

Man who is this guy that did the install, btw?!?! And how much did he charge you?

Z27

Ready to race!
He took the whole suspension together with the clamp. I guess you call that the spindle. He had to remove the breaks to make way for it. I don't want to name names but he owns a performance auto shop and has been in business for over 10 years. He charged me $300 for spring install, gender screw hack, and spacers. And another $100 for alignment. He's charging me another $40 to replace the axle bolts which I don't mind.

Z27

Ready to race!
Yeah. That's why I'm concerned and asking which bolts need to be replaced just for my own safety and peace of mind.

At this point it seems just like the outer axle bolt.

Pyramid Head

Ready to race!
BIG no no

You need to replace those ASAP

"The axle bolt is a torque to yield "stretch bolt", tightened to 70 NM/52 lb ft., then another 90 degrees to stretch it. You can re-use it once or twice, but the stretching causes the bolt to stress, and wont hold correctly. The proper procedure is replace with new every time."

http://www.urotuning.com/Axle-Bolt-Mk5-Mk6-B6-p/wht002795.htm

These "should" be the correct inner bolts:
http://www.urotuning.com/CV-Joint-Bolt-Axle-to-Trans-6-speed-M10x52-p/n90991102.htm

BUT since he didn't touch them, there's NO need to replace them

As I just installed my springs this weekend in my driveway, I was not aware that the six inner axle bolts were also stretch bolts. I knew the hub bolt was a stretch bolt, but I did not remove it.. Is it true that the six inners' now need to be replaced? I also reused the knuckle clamp bolt, so I need to replace that as well? I have to imagine that replacing that many parts would require another alignment :confused:

So no stretch bolts in the rear?

Z27

Ready to race!
As I just installed my springs this weekend in my driveway, I was not aware that the six inner axle bolts were also stretch bolts. I knew the hub bolt was a stretch bolt, but I did not remove it.. Is it true that the six inners' now need to be replaced? I also reused the knuckle clamp bolt, so I need to replace that as well? I have to imagine that replacing that many parts would require another alignment :confused:

So no stretch bolts in the rear?

The outer axle bolt and the lower strut pinch bolt are stretch bolts and are recommended to be changed when removed. Also good to look up torque specs.

Pyramid Head

Ready to race!
The outer axle bolt and the lower strut pinch bolt are stretch bolts and are recommended to be changed when removed. Also good to look up torque specs.

Screw it, I'm not about to have a wheel fall off, I made an appointment at the stealership.

Malibuboats91

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
Not to hijack the thread, but it's advisable to replace these stretch bolts even if there's only ~500 miles on them, right? Any bolts in the rear that should be replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcastine1

You need to understand how stretch bolts work. Once its torqued thats it, you can't use it again because its stretched, it won't return to its previous un-stretched condition. If its been reused and you torque it to spec it will likely break or be overly stressed. Also since it didn't stretch upon install its likely it will back out, as the stretch works as a locking mechanism. It doesn't matter how many miles are on them.