GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY for opening armrest cubby

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
Thats crazy, is the thinking behind it that if you roll you might get hit by things flying around in the cabin? Do they have the cup holders blocked off so that you don't get coffee all over you in an accident too?

Great videos btw. I enjoyed your handover one, I learned a few things from it.

OHHFSHO

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't understand why they can't just use the gti arm rest in the golf R.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Does it also lock in partially up/down positions? I know of at least one other R where the armrest wasn't pinned in place at the factory, but because the ratchet mechanism isn't complete, there is nothing to hold it open.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Still better than what almost everyone else got, their armrest can't be lifted, and even if they follow the DIY, they'll just wind up with the situation you've got.

The armrest in my GTI can be lifted and will stay in several intermediate positions, but it is a feature I never use. I'd be happy with an armrest that just opens and closes.

igeak691

Passed Driver's Ed
The armrest is at the right height for me, but I can certainly understand why people want the ratcheting mechanism. It's only a matter of time before someone figures it out. I have an idea of how to make it work, but the rewards outweigh the work involved. If I'm correct, the ratchet just needs to have a little resistance added to it so that a swift motion will allow the armrest to be closed before the teeth have a chance to catch. A slow motion will allow the teeth to catch before the armrest is closed and hold it in position.

Turbo V

Ready to race!
The armrest is at the right height for me, but I can certainly understand why people want the ratcheting mechanism. It's only a matter of time before someone figures it out. I have an idea of how to make it work, but the rewards outweigh the work involved. If I'm correct, the ratchet just needs to have a little resistance added to it so that a swift motion will allow the armrest to be closed before the teeth have a chance to catch. A slow motion will allow the teeth to catch before the armrest is closed and hold it in position.

Of course I don't own one yet nor have I had a close up of the mechanism; but most ratcheting mechanisms I have seen in the past all require opening to the full range to "release" and then the movement can be returned to original position. Perhaps someone in Europe with a working one can comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk