GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stop/Start not working.

pcr

Ready to race!
I only do maybe 70 miles per week and it seems this is not sufficient to charge the battery enough for Stop/Start to work. The battery SOC is 50%, it used to be 60% or more so it seems the battery maybe slowly deteriorating.
Does this problem sound familiar to anyone ?

matstand

Passed Driver's Ed
it never works in the first couple of miles and if you have lots of high drain gadgets running (heated seats, air con, huge sub woofers etc...) dont know if that helps

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
What does it say on the screen for the stop start? It gives a reason on there why it is not on when you press the "Car" button then "stop start" on the screen itself.

pcr

Ready to race!
Yes, it says "Power consumption is high", that's with all ancillaries turned off, so I assume the message is because the battery charge is low.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Low engine temp can also restrict the use of Stop Start

dougcee

Ready to race!
May not be true, but I've heard that Porsche puts cheesy OE batteries in their new cars. If they do it, maybe VW does also. Don't know though.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I only do maybe 70 miles per week and it seems this is not sufficient to charge the battery enough for Stop/Start to work. The battery SOC is 50%, it used to be 60% or more so it seems the battery maybe slowly deteriorating.
Does this problem sound familiar to anyone ?

pcr: Forgive me if you know this already, but there's a lot going-on in SS decision making process.

For SS to actually stop the engine;
1. the car has to be stationary,
2. the engine revs must be below a threshold (I think it's around 1200rpm),
3. the coolant temperature has to be within a certain range (25 -100 degrees C, I think),
4. the brake vacuum has to be more than a threshold value
5. if air-conditioner is on, the difference between the cabin temp (SS actually measures the air vent temperature) and the target temperature is no greater than about 5degrees C (hmm... not sure about this number),
6. the diesel particulate filter is not in re-gen mode (not sure if yours is a TDI) ,and
7. the remaining energy in the battery is sufficient to enable SS to restart the car again.

So lot's of things that need to be correct for SS to work! In my car, none of these things are important, because I've disable SS entirely! My own personal view (which I acknowledge may not be shared by others - which is entirely OK) is the SS is the most dangerous thing in the car! But I digress!

In respect of your battery SOC @ 50%, the way that the mk7 checks if there is enough charge in the battery is via a small control module that sits in the negative battery lead (it's fitted in-line just next-to where the battery cable fits over the battery post). The battery sensor's job is to measure stuff like temperature, voltage and current which is needed to assess whether there is sufficient energy remaining in the battery to re-start the car. How the battery sensor has calculated the State of Charge of 50% is another consideration. The way that this control module normally does this is via a look-up-table in its memory and through record-keeping of past usage. But sometimes the information stored in the battery sensor is a lie!

I don't mean to imply that anyone has erred, but if the car has been jump-started, or charged incorrectly, the numbers on which this calculation is based can be messed-up because the battery sensor is bridged. The correct way to jump-start/charge the car is to first connect the positive lead and then to connect the negative lead to the car body. The second bit is important because if the negative lead of the 2nd battery/charger is connected directly to the car's native battery, the battery sensor module will be by-passed. This means that the battery data is not recorded by the sensor during the charging process and the "battery condition" that is used in the SS decision making process no longer coincides with the actual battery condition.

The second important piece-of-kit from a battery charge perspective is the voltage stabiliser (which sits under the wheel arch). As its name implies, this device stabilises the power supply under heavy load conditions like the SS operation. Sometimes this unit is faulty and typical symptom is that the car's consumables (radio, SATNAV, telephone links) will reset. If any of these things are happening in your car, then this control module might be the offending item!

Anyhow, just thought that you might like to have an alternative view of the possible causes for your problem. My apology for the long winded explanation!

PS:Of course, you may well be correct that your current battery has gone pear-shaped and it needs to be replaced!

Last edited:

James75

Go Kart Champion
If Start / Stop is active - you can restart the car or the car can restart if you adjust the climate control/air con.

Just a it of fun :)

James

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
May not be true, but I've heard that Porsche puts cheesy OE batteries in their new cars. If they do it, maybe VW does also. Don't know though.

I don't that's accurate.

OP 70 miles a week is not enough maybe keep a battery tender connected while not in use. Don't be surprised if your battery needs replacing sooner than normal. Short commutes and all. My start/stop didn't work most of the time during the really cold weather on my other car, now that is a bit warmer it works as it should.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
it never works in the first couple of miles and if you have lots of high drain gadgets running (heated seats, air con, huge sub woofers etc...) dont know if that helps

I park in a car park when I go to work and when I come back and drive to the gate and stop the SS always kicks in so I know it works in the first few miles (first couple of hundred yards even!), however I've never tried using the A/C to see if it still does then...

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Yes my SS always works within a few hundred yards in the morning (with the aircon on).

Mind you my battery SOC is always showing a minimum of 80% charge.

Not a problem as I decide whether I want it to cut in depending on individual stop situations by the time I hold the brake pedal.

Second nature using it now.

ChrisK

Ready to race!
Same here at home where my drive is all of 8 foot from the front wheels of the Golf to the dropped kerb and I quite often have SS kick in when I’ve got to give way to traffic in the street and what’s more this happens even when the ice warning is being displayed and the car is not in a garage but just sat on the hard standing in all weathers and I don’t let the car stand on tick over to warm up ether.

It does not always cut the engine but I would say it does about 50% of the time but the temperature and distant travel does not seem to come into the equations so may be its just how I got the heater set on a given day or if the mirror heaters are on. That's a point, if you leave the mirror heater control in the on position would this effect S/S ? because the mirrors will draw power until they time out, but for me my mirrors are always set to "0" unless I need the heaters or dip kerb mirror.

Just to add I too have a lot of winter weeks where the mileage is below a hundred with lots of short journeys.

May be its just my car has to be different.:D