GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVII GTI -Metallic Rattle. Please help.

okcookie

Ready to race!
Ever since day one with my new MKVII GTI, there has been a consistent metallic (tinny - like the sound of someone shaking a soda can with the tab inside) coming from what seems like the passenger side footwells. This rattle can only be heard at low RPM. I can hear it most around 2,000 RPM, and I can force it to happen by applying light pressure to the gas peddle. I don't know if the rattle doesn't happen at higher RPM, or if I just can't hear it over the engine and the typical road noise. The rattle is pretty consistent in tempo.

I've done some research, but can't determine if it's the waste gate actuator, fuel lines, or something else. I'm new to maintaining cars properly and I'm not the most mechanically savvy person, but I want to learn. So, I haven't tried to locate the actuator because I don't know where to start and I haven't tried to "tie down" the fuel lines because I'm not comfortable doing this fix on my own.

I've taken the car to the dealership once, and I was told that the waste gate actuator doesn't even exist on the MKVII. Interestingly, two different techs told me this. They deny that the actuator is even real, much less causing any problems.

I suppose it could also be the armrest, as some people say it tends to sound like it's coming from the passenger side.

Anyway, I'm looking for help in diagnosing this rattle. I am bringing the car back to the dealership again next week for the same issue, but I don't have high hopes. It's driving me crazy, and I would appreciate step-by-step advice on how to tackle it on my own.

I can post video if needed. Please help! Advice needed.

DAS_STIG

Banned
It may be the fuel line rattle. Mine had it and it happened right around 2000-3000 rpm, came from passenger side footwell, And it did sound metallic. Tell the dealer to look at the fuel line if they haven't already, they should know about the Issue.

RDPOE

I have (presumably) the same thing. It's a faint metallic ringing/brushing sound. To me, it sounds like it's definitely coming from the engine compartment, toward the back of the engine slightly to the passenger side.

It's the same RPM range, and only when on the gas. Once off the gas, it completely goes away.

It sounds to me like someone rolling a hollow steel tube on a smooth concrete floor. It's like that rolling/ringing metallic resonance, but very faint.

If anyone finds a solution post it up! I might have to get it checked out, I've got a couple other rattles to track down as well

okcookie

Ready to race!
I have (presumably) the same thing. It's a faint metallic ringing/brushing sound. To me, it sounds like it's definitely coming from the engine compartment, toward the back of the engine slightly to the passenger side.

It's the same RPM range, and only when on the gas. Once off the gas, it completely goes away.

It sounds to me like someone rolling a hollow steel tube on a smooth concrete floor. It's like that rolling/ringing metallic resonance, but very faint.

If anyone finds a solution post it up! I might have to get it checked out, I've got a couple other rattles to track down as well

Mine is definitely a metallic rattle. Only when I press the gas. Supposedly there was a TSB about it, and it only effects certain VINs. Mine isn't listed as one of them but I still have the rattle. Tell your dealer. They should insulate the fuel lines to dampen the noise/prevent the rattle. That's my plan for tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAS_STIG

Banned

Fuel line. Solution - take it to the dealer they have the fix.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Mine is definitely a metallic rattle. Only when I press the gas. Supposedly there was a TSB about it, and it only effects certain VINs. Mine isn't listed as one of them but I still have the rattle. Tell your dealer. They should insulate the fuel lines to dampen the noise/prevent the rattle. That's my plan for tomorrow.

Mine was supposedly out of the VIN range as well, but definitely had the issue.

okcookie

Ready to race!
At the dealership now. Went for a ride with the service manager. He said its a normal noise. I asked if they could try the fuel line fix anyway, but they wouldn't. I drove a showroom GTI and it made the same noise. Mine isn't listed for the fuel line TSB. Neither was the show car. So now I'm not sure if it's normal or not. May try the ziptie fix myself.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ask how much it will cost for them to check. Tell them if loose they cover under warranty. If ok, then you might be out some $. If you pay, ask them to secure or pads more as you are paying for it. Or remove panel yourself and check as you stated. Keep us up to date. I have this fuel line issue on my dealers list to check on my new car when it comes. If they refuse to check I plan the tell them it will be hell if I have to drive 1.5 hours back to dealer for anything on my list. I am giving them early notice of past issue.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My car makes an extremely distant metallic rattle.
I don't think anyone would notice but me.
Very faint.