GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise on starting

ChrisK

Ready to race!
I get like a whining noise for a couple of seconds when cold and yes when I first heard it I was concerned but it’s become normal to me and I take no notice of it now.

Would love to know what it is though.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
It is likely the air pump. On my MK6 the first cold start is louder as the air pump cycles on and off loudly. Its much louder with an aftermarket intake that is less insulated than the OEM airbox.

Markc

Passed Driver's Ed
I get like a whining noise for a couple of seconds when cold and yes when I first heard it I was concerned but it’s become normal to me and I take no notice of it now.

Good evening

This is the first time I've logged on to the forum in ages and the first post is starter motor noise problems ! as far as I'm aware the starter is still engaged when the engine starts so thats why you hear the grinding noise (I'm no mechanic by the way lol)

I had the same problem with mine 18 months ago from new ,reported the fault to the AD who said they had sorted it but no still there,i got used to it in the end

They dropped my car off this afternoon after its first oil service, i mentioned the starter motor problem when i booked it in, the receptionist told me over the phone it has been fixed

it only happens on a cold start so i will try it in the morning and report back :)

Ronin3

Ready to race!
My exhaust pops when I start my car. I'd love to know what is causing it to do that. There are no codes stored according to the hand held scanner I borrowed.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra

Felix2

I get exactly the same. Doesn't concern me though. It was worse in my mk 6 golf

Alunakis

Anyone who will read the VW, Skoda, Audi and Seat forums( from Germany, France, Poland, UK, Italy, Romania), treads about this noise, will see many people saying this noise IS NORMAL at this engine, but NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE, OFFICIAL, WHAT MAKES THIS NOISE. I am tired to search the cause. Maybe one of the young car owners with this 1.4 TSI engine, will find in the future(5-10 years) the source. Good luck.

Last edited:

blueste

Ready to race!
There is a normal sound just after startup with cold engine.

A tread in the matter:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2960

One famous prototype car making the noise, 3 sec into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knkdpgZOKAQ&feature=youtu.be

The sound from R400 is normal!

/Peter

Yes, my GTI has this same sound at start up from inside the cabin. I assumed it had something to do with the turbo priming. That was my uneducated, non mechanic assumption.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd

When I test drove a 1.8t demo at the VW dealer before I purchased, it made the same whining noise that my 1.8t Golf does. The technician who I know at the dealer said it's the serpentine belt as it's very stiff and will complain for a couple seconds and shouldn't last longer than 3-4 seconds(temperature dependent).

Alunakis

The serpentine belt is in left side of the engine, the sound is coming from right side, side with the high pump fuel pressure and starter.

Jeremy1976

Ready to race!
Most cars will make funny noises when cold starting depending on temperatures. If it is extremely cold, both of my cars make noises. That is normal. That is why it is a good idea to let it warm up well before driving it remotely hard.

ChrisK

Ready to race!
We are talking here about a noise at first start up, not after we drive the car.

Yes it’s when the car first starts and this is what leads to folk thinking its starter motor related but that I don’t know but it seems I only hear it when the outside temperature is below 5C so putting two things together I wonder whatever it is, is triggered by the cars temperature sensor.

It’s a mystery but not one I’m worried about.:)

The noise I’m talking about is this one that was posted by Dagobah in that “new starting motor” thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41wni5Pw3QI

Last edited: