GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender Subwoofer Replaced w/ JL 13.5 inch Slimline Sub in Custom Box By Uber Stealth

bobbygti

This is my first post here as a GTI MK7 Autobahn owner! I won't waste time and just get right to business, I've got to board my flight in 15 mins.

The Fender audio system in the GTI MK7 is great for the average listener. However, as an audiophile I just couldn’t stand how lousy the sub was. It would bottom out all the time and in some songs almost be non-existent. I came to this forum to look for a solution, where I came across Nik from Uber Stealth Audio’s posts about his custom box. I already owned a pretty sweet JL slimline sub (and amp) from my last car so I quickly shot a message from the website to see if he could get it to fit into one of his boxes for the MK7. Nik responded in less than 10 mins and said it was possible. Woot!

Once the box came in I reached out to Chris over at Driven Mobile Electronics in Chantilly, VA. ( If you live in the DMV area, you can’t go wrong with Chris. His Yelp ratings are through the roof and I can’t say enough about how professional and passionate he is about his work and customers.) Chris was able to fit the amp and line out converter right under the passenger seat. I originally bought the LC2i converter but he ended up using one of his own that was smaller, better and cheaper than the LC2i. The best part about all of this is there no knob to adjust the level of the sub. It uses the native audio system controls!

I've got a nasty rattle that comes from the rear wiper blade area..but overall, the sub upgrade turned out to be better than I thought! I am super happy I went through with this and am thankful for Nik & Chris's guidance in the process.

Below is a list of the parts used, pics of the install process and outcome:

Parts:

Custom box from Uber Stealth Audio finally arrives!

Mandatory picture of the car in the shop.

Amp & Line Converter

Connecting the wires under the passenger seat

Tapping into Fender Subwoofer Wires

Testing & Balancing the System for Optimal Sound

Finished product minus the cable on the left which was tucked away a few mins later.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Chris is the man! I see him once a year at a conference.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Isn't the connector to the sub, already amplified ? hence not needing the line converter and additional amp.

Does anyone know the spec of amplification being sent to the stock fender sub?

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
Its probably less than 100 watts rms i am willing to bet. Also, it is probably EQ'ed for that particular sub, so it may have dips and peaks that do not match the aftermarket sub. The best place to get a signal would be strait off the head unit.

Xyro TR1

Yay
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This is exactly what I am wanting to do with my GTI when it arrives! Is there any rattle or distortion from the tire or box with it not being secured?

bobbygti

This is exactly what I am wanting to do with my GTI when it arrives! Is there any rattle or distortion from the tire or box with it not being secured?
I don't have any rattle from the box or tire. The only rattle (super annoying) is from the rear wiper. Its like a metal hitting metal sound.

Xyro TR1

Yay
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't have any rattle from the box or tire. The only rattle (super annoying) is from the rear wiper. Its like a metal hitting metal sound.
Yikes. I've never had that kind of rattle on my Mk6 and I've got 1700W of juice flowing thru my sound system! D:

I'm sure I can fix that tho. Glad to know the sub box and etc are top notch!

augiec

Passed Driver's Ed
I know it's only been a few days, but I just ordered the box. I'm planning to get a JL 10tw3 sub & JL JX500/1D amp once the box comes in. I wanted to see if the wiper rattle issue has been addressed, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Augie