GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dyno run hints VW GTI power might be significantly underrated

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Would doing this in 3rd gear change the dyno results?
Ideally you want to do the dyno run at a 1:1 gear ratio, or as close as you can get. I'm not sure what the gear ratios are on the MK7, but on the MK5 that I currently drive that would dictate doing the run in 4th gear.

Also, 15% drivetrain loss is high for a FWD car. It's not constant across gears and RPMs, but I think 10% would be more appropriate. There are lots of other variables that affect dyno results, but that by itself would explain the numbers they are seeing to some extent.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but this doesn't make the car any faster from what has already been tested.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yeah but almost 260lb-ft will do that, that is significantly more than MK6. Stage 1 MK6 is supposed to be like 270-280 ish, and driving back to back the shove is pretty similar with MK7 running out of puff a bit sooner stock.

Yes, I was wondering what that extra torque would feel like when I drove the car.
Some guys on the MK6 forum claimed it was barely noticeable.
I believe that was because some of them were tuned.
The difference between my stock MK7 compared to my stock MK6 is stunning.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Its definitely different to stock MK6s. Another area where it might not be as noticeable is highway passing in top gear, as the MK7's gearing is taller. 2nd gear in 6MT is also taller...

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
So I guess this means that the increased numbers of horsepower and torque that APR (and the other tuners) claim need to be cut in half???

C'monnnnn now

Depends on the tuner, dyno and conditions. Best to always do a comparison to base with your own car.

Take Irishace's car:
Stock - 220whp
Eurodyne Stage 1.5@93 - 270
Eurodyne Stage 2@93 -301

Zach L

VR junkie
Wow! I am impressed but also not too surprised. That is as much wheel horsepower as a Mk5 GTI w/ downpipe and Stage 2 tune. :eek:

I just had to register on that Focus ST forum and set a sh*t talker straight.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Isn't this old news? I thought everyone that had an account on this forum already knew that.

My buddy with the M235i said his car is underrated as well, maybe all the German makers do it.

DAS_STIG

Banned
remember that the cam follower is an FSI engine issue. the mk6 golf R still uses the FSI engine even though they decided to stick a TSI engine cover on it.

GTI-PP

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but this doesn't make the car any faster from what has already been tested.

Fair enough, It's still the same car, same butt dyno feeling, same 0-60, but if you are doing modifications and don't have a dyno, this changes your estimated HP and Torque. What's really improtant is does the car go fast and make you happy, but no one askes you if you are happy, they ask what's under the hood.

Many people have remarked that VW under sells the power of the MK7 GTI, but this is a big difference between advertised and actual output.

Zach L

VR junkie
remember that the cam follower is an FSI engine issue. the mk6 golf R still uses the FSI engine even though they decided to stick a TSI engine cover on it.
Yes, I am aware cam followers are on all EA113 2.0T engines. But the guy's comment was about Mk7 GTI, which is the only car that thread is about. I was addressing GTI engines.

Irishace

Ready to race!
I personally don't think there is much of a comparison, the GTI is a substantially better vehicle from interior, motor, chassis and transmission. Now, the proposed focus RS looks very interesting.

Irishace

Ready to race!
I had to fan the flames over there :) Posted my dyno results to confirm their thread, hehe.