GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd value in Instuments module: Poor Oil Quality

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
While browsing around the Instruments module with VCDS, I noticed an odd entry "Oil Quality" with the value set as "Poor Oil Quality." What does this mean? Is it some sort of measurement?

Since I've not yet changed the oil since new at only 3,599 mi., I have the oil put in at the factory.

tmehanna

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure what engine you have but my 1.4 TSI 140 needed an oil change at 3000 miles or 6 months from leaving the factory, so I had my first oil change around 2300 miles at the 6 months mark. I would recommend an oil change.

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
After doing some research, I have found that this is for cars that have the FSI (flexible service interval) option and special sensors. This is a by-country option and is not fitted to USA gasoline models, not sure about diesels.

Koop

Passed Driver's Ed
It's probably because americans mostly use poor oil quality and shorter intervals, and the module calculates the flexible interval using "poor oil quality" as a baseline.
In europe we run 507 00 oil and 30 000km(18641 miles) change intervals, so our cars would have that parameter set to "proper quality"

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
It's probably because americans mostly use poor oil quality and shorter intervals, and the module calculates the flexible interval using "poor oil quality" as a baseline.
In europe we run 507 00 oil and 30 000km(18641 miles) change intervals, so our cars would have that parameter set to "proper quality"

You go over 18,000 miles between oil changes :eek:

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
With FSI, sensors detect if you need to change the oil. Very commonly used in Germany. Cars can bet set for service intervals at fixed time or distance and with sensors can let the car tell you.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
With FSI, sensors detect if you need to change the oil. Very commonly used in Germany. Cars can bet set for service intervals at fixed time or distance and with sensors can let the car tell you.

Pbrowne. Are you sure that the mk7 has oil-change sensors? I had understood that the service reminder message was no more complicated than comparing either the current date, or distance travelled to the settings in the Instrument channels. See below for the set-up that my mk7 uses for maintenance scheduling
Incidentally, ESI = Extended Service Interval, FIX = fixed service interval

Attachments

• OMI.jpg
    OMI.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,297

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
FSI or ESI is indicated by the presence of PR code QG1. Note that not all PR codes are shown on your options sticker. I found all of mine at a VWoA site, but I don't recall the URL. My sticker shows 41 PR codes but I found that the full list from VW for my car contains 142!

Fixed or extended service interval can be set. My USA spec Golf TSi has the ability to set ESI. At 5,000 miles, I plan to change the oil and set to the 10,000 mile fixed service (to comply with VWoA warranty) and fully enable ESI. That way ESI onboard analysis will tell me when the oil really needs to be changed by reading the computer with VCDS.

ESI or SEI analyzes several driving and engine parameters to determine if the oil needs to be changed. All that you want to know about this can be found here: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_224.pdf It's important to use a VW approved oil -- there are many to choose from, see here: http://www.my-gti.com/2540

Last edited: