GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Change (not reset) service interval?

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
Not that VW engineers aren't much smarter than I, I've always thought changing oil at less than the recommended interval is good insurance. Oil is cheap compared to rebuilding an engine. especially if you intend to keep your car for a long time.

My question: can one set the service interval at what they prefer vs. the 10,000 miles that's the default?

I'm not asking about simply resetting the interval; I know how to do that. I want the reminder at 5,000 or 6,000 miles.

(I have the Ross-Tech VCDS and cable.)

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Not that VW engineers aren't much smarter than I, I've always thought changing oil at less than the recommended interval is good insurance. Oil is cheap compared to rebuilding an engine. especially if you intend to keep your car for a long time.

My question: can one set the service interval at what they prefer vs. the 10,000 miles that's the default?

I'm not asking about simply resetting the interval; I know how to do that. I want the reminder at 5,000 or 6,000 miles.

(I have the Ross-Tech VCDS and cable.)

Pbrowne: I've put a pic of the relevant adaptation channels in the pic below. Of course the setting will be different for your car, but you can change the setting to suit.
Note:
ESI stands for extended service intervals, known as the "LongLife" service regime and features variable service intervals.

FIX refers to fixed service intervals, known as the "Time and Distance" service regime.
Clearly you want the latter. I suggest that you change the last channel shown in the pic

Attachments

• OMI.jpg
    OMI.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 5,137

vidman

Ready to race!
I would check with the dealer before you do this in case it affects your warranty, when they scan your can and see the change they may well question why you did this and ask for proof that you used the correct oil.

If you develop an engine problem they might look for reasons to reject a claim

blueste

Ready to race!
I wouldn't think it would affect your warranty if you changed your oil at 5,000mi vs 10,000mi. Especially, if you had the dealer change it or if you diy and buy the oil from the dealer that way you have documentation of using the correct oil/filter. Although, I guess if you diy VW could make the claim that they can't confirm if you used the right amount, tightened everything to spec, etc.

How many are changing their motor oil sooner than the recommended 10k and are you taking it to dealer, independent garage or diy?

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I use a local service shop that has proven to be thoroughly trustworthy. Unless you know your mechanic, as is seldom the case at a dealer, you don't know the quality of the service you're getting. As long as you have receipts and sometimes pictures, you have what you need to prove that maintenance has been done.

My experience with dealers has led me to find a good shop where I can look the owner and mechanic in the eye. I've wasted too many trips to dealers only to have problems not fixed or found, sometimes even causing other problems or damage. Over many years I've almost always done my own service. Buying the tools you need is a good investment. I admit to once or twice messing up and having to resort to a dealer to fix what I did. Still, I'm far ahead cost-wise and time-wise. Working on your own car helps you to get to know its idiosyncrasies and fix things that a dealer easily misses.

Okay, getting down off of soapbox.....

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
How about you just look at the odometer and when it get around 5K, 10K, 15K, 20K, 25K, 30K, 35K......... you change the oil?