GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reverse Camera Installation - VCDS Coding and other info

mtpease

Hey Guys!

I've been lurking on this form for a week or so, and I wasn't able to find the info I needed to install a backup camera on my 2015 Golf S (US Model). I eventually found the info I needed from a kind eBay seller, so I thought I'd share it with you.

The actual camera install and wiring is pretty straight forward. I just started ripping panels off and I was able to get access to the rear emblem/hatch handle. I tapped into the reverse bulb wire on the passenger side of the vehicle to get a positive reverse signal.

I ran the cable through the interior panels before arriving behind the glove box. From there, I stole power from the red wire leading to the radio harness. The two wires (and attached pins) plug into spot numbers 6 and 12 on the blue harness behind the glove box radio module.

After the wiring is in place, some VCDS coding needs to be changed.

1. Using the VCDS diagnostic device, open the box 5F - Information Electr.
2. Now locate Byte no. 19
3. Mark then bit no. 4

That's all. My installation took a lot longer than I wanted it to, but I was also running wiring for a sub woofer at the same time. That added some unexpected challenges that I won't go into right now.

This is the camera I bought - It's from an Australian eBay seller, and the exchange rate worked in my favor.

I did not take photos of the install process, and I apologize for that. I was way too excited to install it, I forgot to take any pictures.

PeteSoulDeep

Great effort; well done!

Mk620T

Ready to race!
Well, if his car had navigation it would obviousley have the backup camera too. So he must have an S-trim since he's in Atlanta.

mtpease

Thanks man I am also in Atlanta and this is one of the things I want to do!

It's really not particularly difficult to do, but the damn Ross Tech cable is wayyyy too expensive. I'm still not entirely sure if it was worth the money. This was a learning process for me, and if you have any questions, or need to borrow my VCDS cable, I'd be happy to help.

mtpease

Well, if his car had navigation it would obviousley have the backup camera too. So he must have an S-trim since he's in Atlanta.

Yes, my car is S-trim. I didn't really want to spend the extra money to get a higher trim level, and I got a fantastic deal on this car. I'm totally content with the S-trim and my ghetto camera/sub install.