GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mirror Dip on Reverse: Anyone Figure out Return?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
DV52 great to see forum members supporting one another to the extent you did.

GC: thanks for your kind words but providing information was the easy part - Sfm5 did all the hard work!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
For anyone else that is interested, I finally got this working.

Summary:

You definitely need the passenger side unit (5Q4 959 592). DO NOT GET the 'B' version (5Q4959592B) as you will be unable to manipulate the mirror (up/down axes is flipped with right/left).

I currently also have the European Drivers side unit (5Q4 959 593) installed as well, but it's not clear if you require both for this to work. I would just try getting the 592 (no B!) unit first.

Of course, you need to do the appropriate VCDS coding to enable the mirror dip, the menu item, etc, but I assume most here can figure that out.

Based on my experience and Joe 's (sfm5) above, I believe you need both the 5Q4 959 592 passenger and 5Q4 959 593 driver modules. When I swapped the 5Q4 959 592 (non B) the yaw and pitch mirror were still reversed.

sfm5

Thanks for this idea, DV52! I have it already coded like that on the driver's side, I'll give it a try at some point.

sfm5.

Since you already have the driver's side module fitted, why not have the mirror dip enabled for the drivers side as well? It will be useful if you are parking with the driver's side to the kerb.

I've not actually done this tweak (because the memory module is only on the passenger side on my car), but it might be worth a try.

The tweak involves changing Byte 4, Bit 2 & Bit 3. You will need to have the mirror position knob on the driver's side setting to get it to operate when you want.
Here's a pic of the two modules

sfm5

This is truly bad news. If I get some time this weekend, I'll try putting back the 5Q0 module on the driver's side, and see if I get the same results.

Getting pretty good at tearing this door apart. Glad I bought some extra door card clips.

Based on my experience and Joe 's (sfm5) above, I believe you need both the 5Q4 959 592 passenger and 5Q4 959 593 driver modules. When I swapped the 5Q4 959 592 (non B) the yaw and pitch mirror were still reversed.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
This is truly bad news. If I get some time this weekend, I'll try putting back the 5Q0 module on the driver's side, and see if I get the same results.

Getting pretty good at tearing this door apart. Glad I bought some extra door card clips.

I have a drivers side unit 5Q4959593 module on order. When I have it fitted I will report back to the forum. With two for two we should have verification of the requirement to change both door modules.

ommoran

Ready to race!
I have been following the progress on this incredible tech puzzle's progress, but my big question is why don't the US cars have this feature? How silly.

The Canadian cars do not either. However, I believe all models of Golf as of this year come with the back up camera as a standard feature (in prep for the rule for 2018 model years, I'm told...) so the point is basically moot. I've had my car a week. Parallel parked 3 times, I believe? Easy to spot the curb even on the first time.

youthmc87

hi to all, i have one q? i don't have electric folding mirrors on my mk7, but can i fold them by hand? i tryed but it is hard and i don't want to break anything. any tips?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
hi to all, i have one q? i don't have electric folding mirrors on my mk7, but can i fold them by hand? i tryed but it is hard and i don't want to break anything. any tips?

Look at the interface where the mirror pivots. By studying the pivot you will be able to exert the force in the proper direction. When the mirror pushes in it also rotates upward.

Z27

Ready to race!
Reviving this thread as I need some clarification.

1. Do we need both 5Q4959592 (passenger) and 5Q4959593 (driver) for this feature to work? (NAR-Spec)

2. Can it be coded in VCDS that both mirrors will dip on reverse?

3. Where can I buy these modules?

4. Where can I find installation instructions of these modules?

Thank you!

Last edited:

timrha1

My experience

Hello,
Long time troll, first time poster.

I recently purchased a 2015 GTI S 6MT and a VCDS Micro-CAN cable. One of the things I really wanted to modify was the mirror dipping on reverse.

I thought I would share my experience.
Like I said I did this on a US-spec GTI S 6MT and it works albeit not like it would if you had a memory module. Here is what I did...

Source: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7013354-VAGCOM-What-is-this-and-how-do-I-do-it-(new-to-VW)&p=86033550&viewfull=1#post86033550
Passenger mirror dip…mirror switch has to be on the passenger setting for it to work.
52 Passenger door
07 coding
Byte 4
Enable bit 2 and 3.
DO NOT enable bit 1 unless you have Memory Seats. Enabling this will cause the mod not to work if you do not have Memory Seat or a Memory module.
No need to enable bit 7.
THEN
09 Central Electronics
Adaptations
17-Access control 2 Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt (change to “active”)
THEN
(22) Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung (change to “active”) this puts
the option in the menu screen.

This lowers (dips) the passenger side (right) mirror when 2 conditions are met: Mirror adjust knob set to "R" and you put the car in reverse. The amount that the mirror lowers is a set amount and I do not believe it can be adjusted. When you come out of reverse or set the mirror adjust knob to "0" the mirror returns to its original position. It raises a set amount the same amount that it lowered.

Again this was done with all stock components; only thing changed was with VCDS.

Last edited:

Z27

Ready to race!
Awesome. Thanks for this.

Quick question, does it return to normal right away or do you have to drive a certain speed?

timrha1

Awesome. Thanks for this.

Quick question, does it return to normal right away or do you have to drive a certain speed?

If you keep the knob on "R" you'll have to go between 5-10 mph before it raises back up. You can immediately return it to its normal position if you return the knob to "0".